Lt. Commander
Good afternoon. I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I am. I have a Tactical Officer trained in Fire at Will 1. I max him at out at Lvl 9 in that skill (this was done before I realized the diminishing returns of the maxing skills out). I have my 2 beam weapons preset to autofire with a third beam weapon that I manually need to fire. When I click on the FaW hotkey on my toolbar the timer starts but the 3rd beam weapon does not fire when the target in question it within the 270 degree arc. If I hit the space bar the 3rd beam fires, the timer goes away and the cool down time kicks off for all weapons. I have even shut off the autofiring (so no weapons were active/firing) and hit the hotkey - nothing happened. The timer ticks down but not beam weapons fired off. Firing does not resume until I hit the spacebar. To the best of my knowledge I do not have any binds on. If I did it was not intentional.

Am I missing something? Is this a bug? Did Fire at Will get nerfed? Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Anyone out there?
04-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Any one have any ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2010, 08:28 AM
I think you may be misunderstanding how Fire at Will works.

When you activate the skill, it starts a cooldown. The first energy weapon to fire within that cooldown will use the 'Fire at Will' targeting behavior instead of its normal function; meaning it will shoot several (I think four?) slightly more powerful beam shots at random hostile targets in range. Fire at Will only affects one single energy weapon per use, and all it does is cause that specific weapon to fire several slightly more powerful shots at random targets.

You're probably expecting it to work like Rapid Fire, where the skill has a duration during which ALL relevant weapons assume the modified behavior. That is how Fire at Will *should* work, not how it works at this time.

Think of Fire at Will (and Beam Overload) like High Yield. What they really do is apply a single-use buff to the next weapon fired of the appropriate type that modifies that weapon's behavior for a single shot.
Lt. Commander
# 4 Thanks
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Ok. I was use to the auto fire and that skill working together (at least from before I leveled up). Thanks for the info.