Lt. Commander
# 11
04-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
Then why are there Gorn and Nausican ships "wandering" thru Federation sector space and harassing Federation colonies and merchant ships?

Accoring to your reasoning shouldn't those be "Klingon Defence Force" ships?
You are correct, they are not part of the Klingon Defence Force, but Nauusicans are well known to be pirates and criminals just like the Orions.
The Gorn have more of a personal interest in certain regions of federation space which is revealed in several of the episodes.

But ultimatley the Klingon Empire would most likely allow the Orions, Gorn, Nauusicans to harass the Federation while the Klingons go on the offensive.
It is a very old concept and practice, we had them on earth centuries ago and they were known as....Privateers.
Pirates/Freelancers given permission by a goverment to sieze and plunder ships belonging to a certain nation.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Good point. So why should we not be able to play such a privateer and give our Nausicaans, Orions, Gorn and whatever their own ships? We basically all fly around and harrass the other faction anyways.

I want that badass Nausicaan ship. Now.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
How about no?

Even during the dominion wars there were no non-starfleet ships on the frontlines, in fact any race specific ships would most likely be tied down as planteray defense craft.
umm... on DS9 i seem to remember marquis fighters and raiders in several alpha alliance fleet formations when the dominion war broke out... also you said "no non-starfleet ships on the frontlines"... when did the romulans and klingons join the federation and their militaries get incorporated into starfleet during the dominion wars?? (okay i was nit picking you there, but i couldnt resist. i needed my fix)

would make sense. as far as the local garrison idea... what would you do as a planet leader of a federation world if you found out the enemy fleet was staging very close to your home and starfleet was going to engage it? would you not realize this was your best chance to defend your home? even if you were to limit yourself to aid and medical evacution, you are on the fron lines. it is called millitia, many parts of the world still use it and there are still provisions in U.S. laws for it including the U.S. constitution.

As far as the klingon side goes... how long did the gorn fight the empire? how long did the gorn homeworld endure a siege and blockade? i doubt the klingons would throw away decent ships that could put up a fight worthy of a song... even if it were just for harassment purposes to force an enemy to thin their lines....

could be good, could be a double edged sword. i like the idea of the ship unlocking after a mission chain so it is a reward for completing it.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Yea, I really see no reason why players shouldn't have access to more cool ships. For one, you can't make a lore argument at all, because STO is its own place in the Star Trek timeline and they can write it however they want. Secondly, especially given that in STO the various species are much more prominently featured than in the shows it only makes sense that their ships are also more visible.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Hard to make a lore arguement when there are more Klingon captains in Star Fleet than the KDF, or when every Fed character and BO seems to have 5 or 6 tribbles, or when ships' weapons have a range of only 10 km, or . . . .
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Hard to make a lore arguement when there are more Klingon captains in Star Fleet than the KDF, or when every Fed character and BO seems to have 5 or 6 tribbles, or when ships' weapons have a range of only 10 km, or . . . .
lore wise, there are.

all ships have had a limited weapon range. whatever that may or may not be is selected for more game mechanic reasons. sure the numbers dont add up, but it is a game mechanic unless you prefer firing from beyond sight range thnx to a scout sighting in for you (would rock for klinks, i know)

tribbles are back, SISKO brought them back in the ds9 episode the was interwoven into the TOS:trouble with tribbles. enough said.

as far as more klink captains in starfleet than KDF.... ill give you that one. i am sure we can both agree that after the dominion wars, some klingons would be interested in joining starfleet, and once they joined, the sense of honor would keep them there as starfleet and KDF start shooting at eachother. i say this is more of a content balance issue.

as a side note.... i love your signature. it is awesome sir
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Why would the Dominion War make Klingons want to join Starfleet? Did I miss something? The war brought them a new leader; a decorated hero to bring the empire back to old glory. That would be more a reason to stay and build up their own fleet and all.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Um, who says those ships were "human designed"? The other members of the Federation probably had "people" on the design teams.
The Luna class was designed by an Efrosion, if I recall the Titan books correctly.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Why would the Dominion War make Klingons want to join Starfleet? Did I miss something? The war brought them a new leader; a decorated hero to bring the empire back to old glory. That would be more a reason to stay and build up their own fleet and all.
The borg conflict after the dominion war might be more relevant in strenghtening klingon/human relations.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
The borg conflict after the dominion war might be more relevant in strenghtening klingon/human relations.
What do "humans" have to do with Klingons being in Star Fleet? Star Fleet is not a "human" organization, just ask any Vulcan Star Fleet officer.

One would think that being in a war with the Federation might put a damper on Klingon service - fighting their own species and all that. We're not talking about Klingons that grew up as Federation citizens, these are KLINGONS who grew up as KLINGONS and joined Star Fleet as adults. Just as one does not wave a magic wand over a beef steak and make it into tuna fish, one doesn't wave a magic wand over a Klingon and make them into a loyal Star Fleet officer. They are going to be cast out by their house, their extended family, and will have to become traitors to their SPECIES. Their whole being should revolt at fighting against everything they were brought up to revere.

A very small number of Klingons serving in Star Fleet while the Empire is allied with the Federation (during the Dominion War) or time of peace has a degree of plausability. More likely they are on detached service from the KDF or serving as KDF liaison officers.

The wholesale (okay, retail - as in C-Store) service of Klingons in Star Fleet is illogical. Furthermore, where are all the Federation species officers serving in the KDF? What's good for the goose must be good for the gander, right?

No, this is about Cryptic making money, it has no other logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribblerancher View Post
all ships have had a limited weapon range. whatever that may or may not be is selected for more game mechanic reasons. sure the numbers dont add up, but it is a game mechanic unless you prefer firing from beyond sight range thnx to a scout sighting in for you (would rock for klinks, i know)
Ships have sensors, view screens have magnification. The speed of light is 150,000 kilometers/second. A ship traveling at 1/10th of light speed will travel the 10km range of STO space weapons in 1/15,000 of a second. How fast can you hit the space bar and how long does it take for weapons to cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribblerancher View Post
as a side note.... i love your signature. it is awesome sir
Thank you sir, and complements on your avatar.