Lt. Commander
# 11
04-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
I pity those trying to level Klingon right now, PvP ques at T1/T2 are very dry. I gave up on my 3rd Klingon Engineer; leveling through exploration missions is just too painful.
But that *is* why they added the star cluster missions, because it is now almost impossible to level via PvP at the early stages of the game. Adding FvF was a predictably terrible idea.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-07-2010, 04:52 AM
There is no problem with FvF, problem is that it gives same rewards as FvK. Imho FvF shouldnt give any marks.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-07-2010, 05:46 AM
I don't understand the queues. If I login on my Klingon, I see no feds, lots of klingons in a given queue. Say, [20 0].
If I immediately switch to Fed, I see [0 5] in the same queue! WTH? What do the numbers even mean?
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by narial View Post
why would you go to a cryptic game for pvp?

there are like 232626234235624234234 currently running in english mmorpg's that are purely pvp. there are better options - even a better space option for pvp
I came to a Star Trek game for PVP, like they were advertising it. Since I am not a fan of men in tights who have secret identities, I have no real experience with Cryptic but they did say Star trek and PVP.

I played Shadowbane so my concept of PVP is very tight and with high expectations. With Shadowbane down, I had to move on. Darkfall isn't an option for me either. I am sick of fantasy based games tbh.

EVE really didn't catch my interest. I like to play my games realtime, lvl at my speed and not offline learn/ train.

I betad Fallen Earth and played through launch till recent but watching the devs there with their lack of PVP experience wore out my patience with RvR. Guild interactions are what fuel PVP zones, not factions. FE's playerbase just ignored factions pretty much altogether and started fighting as guilds. The FE concept of PVP is more like Battlegrounds and the arena-type PVP here. They removed conflict by making player interactions optional. Conflict towns were fail without conflict. RvR is not PVP proper and is why I left there.

The allure of being a Klingon and PVPing all the time sounded too good to be true... and this is how I came to this RvR battleground grind. An Open World with FFA zones would have been way sexier.

Regrets? Yeah, I got some.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Well, most people don't realize that ground PvP is the fastest way to lvl and be super rich in STO. It is one of those things not very well disclosed publicly.

But at lower levels Klingons have to do House battles cause of the lack of feds. Why any Fed would reroll a toon and not PvP for xp is beyond me. It is the fastest way to lvl a fed - period, and for feds pvp loot > pve loot everytime.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksided View Post
Well, most people don't realize that ground PvP is the fastest way to lvl and be super rich in STO. It is one of those things not very well disclosed publicly.

But at lower levels Klingons have to do House battles cause of the lack of feds. Why any Fed would reroll a toon and not PvP for xp is beyond me. It is the fastest way to lvl a fed - period, and for feds pvp loot > pve loot everytime.

A lot of people blow off Ground and KvK PvP. But when you say Fed pvp loot is better than pve you must be kidding. They give out pvp loot like candy, plus you can get some decent gear from crafting.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-08-2010, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpadgett371 View Post
I run both Klingon and Fed characters. As a fed player in PvP at Tier 2, I can tell you it is a painful experience. We are always outnumbered, underarmed, and underfunded. The large numbers of BoP decloaking and Alpha Striking, usually two per ship, leaves no time left for even a little bit of maneuver. We die. The only plus there is the spectacular fireballs we make light up the night sky beautifully.

As a Klingon player at Tier 2, game play is the same, the only difference being I am on the dominating side. Fed ships in small numbers just don 't have a chance. Only twice since I began playing this game have I been in a fair fight with the Feds. That was over a month ago...6 on 6. Last time I did PvP as fed., there were three of us, all armed with MK II weapons, MK II shields and MK II engines (That's pretty much all you can get as a Fed early Tier 2) against 7 of them with MK IV cannons, MK IV shields and MK IV engines. We simply never had a chance.

Back to Klingon. The house battles are where it seems to be now. I can always find a good house battle but only rarely find a good fight with the feds. All those 5 on 1 queues and the like, I don't even give a second look. I just watch the house battle queues and jump in on the one with the most interest.
Your information is incorrect. Federation get access to fantastic gear in both T1 and T2 (I have leveled 3 Fed toons). Just do a patrol mission or one of the story arcs and you get GREAT blue gear that can be used for PvP. Both sides have access to upgrades through requisition vendors, exchange (and for Feds, crafting/item enhancement) and missions. Comparing both sides, Federation have access to a far wider and superior selection/grade of gear than their counterparts.

As for the queues, I just started my new KDF when season 1 went live and the queues are varied. Sometimes there are more Feds, sometimes more KDF. Though I think the majority will agree that tactics will win or lose the day.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-08-2010, 02:25 AM
they need to base pvp ques off ship tier flown, like allow people of any total level, even 45, to hop back in to a tier 2 or 3 or 4 ship or even the old tier 1 if they didnt scrap it, and que to play anyone else in those ships (the different bo power levels and slots even the playing field and add a venue for competition based on classes rather then captains level) thus new blood players leveling could fight old guys that stick themselves in lower ships to find someone to kill!

as it is you leveled way to fast when the game came out and eveyone was pvping together, i was general 5 (klingon max level) in the course of a 3 day weekend of pvpfest before the game went live for non pre orders ffs.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-08-2010, 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhansWrath
they need to base pvp ques off ship tier flown, like allow people of any total level, even 45, to hop back in to a tier 2 or 3 or 4 ship or even the old tier 1 if they didnt scrap it, and que to play anyone else in those ships (the different bo power levels and slots even the playing field and add a venue for competition based on classes rather then captains level) thus new blood players leveling could fight old guys that stick themselves in lower ships to find someone to kill!

as it is you leveled way to fast when the game came out and eveyone was pvping together, i was general 5 (klingon max level) in the course of a 3 day weekend of pvpfest before the game went live for non pre orders ffs.
This might work if the Tier 1 ship flown by a Tier 5 character was limited to Tier 1 equipment and the Tier 5 players personal abilities were held to those of a Tier 1 player. But that isn't how it works. The Tier 5 player can put Mk X weapons, sensors, engines and consols in that T1 ship, and they will have the full range of powers/abilities of a T5 player. In short they will still be a T5 player. Completely over powering real T1 players.

What they need to do is create open PvP areas where all tiers can play together. It might take 6-7 tier 2 players to take down a tier 4 player. Or maybe that T5 player jumps into his old T1 ship as a disguise, but pimps it with T5 equipment.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhiel
Your information is incorrect. Federation get access to fantastic gear in both T1 and T2 (I have leveled 3 Fed toons). Just do a patrol mission or one of the story arcs and you get GREAT blue gear that can be used for PvP. Both sides have access to upgrades through requisition vendors, exchange (and for Feds, crafting/item enhancement) and missions. Comparing both sides, Federation have access to a far wider and superior selection/grade of gear than their counterparts.
I have done as you have said many times and have not reaped the bounty you describe. In fact, the rewards I get for completing missions, much of it is of no use to me. That which is falls into the same category I spoke of before...no better than MK II before Tier 2, no better than MK II in early Tier 2, no better than MK III in mid to late Tier 2. I've leveled up too.

I have also been to all requisition vendors you spoke of to buy things and the best I have found is at SB 39 for EC's, limited to a few MK III Starship items, a small selection of MK IV weapons, MK IV items with BOE 2 at earth. Memory Alpha is in my opinion a waste on the vast majority of stuff...Tier 1 and 2. The only items I see worth anything are the Tier 2 Engines and personal shields...Oh wait, I have to have the vanilla version of those items to craft the upgrade. Again, it takes BOE 2's to get them.

Klingon requisition vendors, BTW, have all MK IV vanilla disruptor based items available for EC's right away at Tier 2. I've also leveled up two Klingons.

My beef isn't so much about having access to stuff. It's about what is available when and where, and what do I have to do to get it. It is a fact that you cannot get any MK IV starship items without amassing a pile of BOE 2's. If you find them randomly, that's a bonus; however, I rarely find starship weapons, never find shields and engines and the personal items I find are all MK III.

Yes I agree, I have access to alot of great stuff; however, To get them, I have to go too alot of work to earn the means of buying them. I will have to do the Nebula missions 12 times for weapons, shields, and engines (starship). To upgrade personal items, another 3 times. That's just to bring them current. I will be somewhere in the neighborhood of Lt Cdr 7 - 8. Two more grades, I'll be promoted, and I'll have to do it all again to get MK VI stuff because once again, I will be behind.