Lt. Commander
As a couple of players requested, after my initial critical look at the Klingon starting experience, I have continued to make notes on my life as a Klingon in the KDF. I've found the experience enjoyable enough (I've managed to blow up enough other players to feel I have some hope in PvP), yet it's... lacking oomph compared to the Federation side of affairs. (I will for ease of reading reproduce the summary of the preceding post at the end, as an attempt to keep track of these issues)

Having just hit Lt Cmdr 1, I felt the progress & notes I'd made in my journey over a few ranks had reached sufficient length to justify another post. I toyed with an in-character report, but decided it'd be too wordy & lose issues in the detail. So without further ado, in no particular order:

Combat & Mission Concerns:
  • It still boggles the mind that Klingons don't warp into an area cloaked, preferring to get fired on in the first three seconds whilst your bridge officer is talking to you...
  • Why no Good Day to Die -- Space? I get rewarded for dying in ground PvP, but not space?
  • N'vak just seems to be buggy. Borg cubes showing as allies; Starfleet completing the mission, yet it's actually two teams of Klingons; both teams spawning on top of each other; nodes yet to be scanned can't even be seen whilst you're cloaked. (*)
  • Given that Klingons actually use melee weapons, the lack of a melee expose/exploit system is even more obvious than it was on the Federation side. Why can't we exploit or expose with melee weapons? The NPCs have animations for such things.
  • I actually bug reported this, but the lack of a ground auto-fire function as Federation players get is just bizarre (even if you'd turn it off for PvP). I mean, it's an option - what on earth is wrong with having it there to turn on or off?
Cosmetic & UI Concerns:
  • Honor still has a Starfleet symbol.
  • Male Orion NPCs saying 'of course I will dance for you' is just deeply disturbing.
  • Why do Starfleet vessels show up in the same colour as Klingon ships in sector space?
  • I refuse to believe that the word Dung is actually Klingon (in a Klingon mission name).
  • Klingon weapons generally look a lot more dull than Federation ones. Where are the red holographic details akin to what phasers can get?
  • Floating icons for Klingon NPCs are extremely buggy. Most show ticks for completed quests when there are none completed; some show mission symbols where they offer no missions.
  • Music isn't really different for Klingons; it still feels very Starfleet in most places.
  • The KDF doesn't have rank badges? At all?
  • Sashes, whilst nice, clip with absolutely everything.
  • Uniforms themselves clip at times.
  • Bird of Prey Customisation is non-existent. All Federation vessels get three different variations, and the BOP can't even vary the wing angle?!
Loot & Crafting Concerns:
  • Well for starters: what crafting? Even if Memory Alpha is (rightly) roundly criticised, at least it's something.
  • The lack of real loot begins to show as you do more exploration missions; drops are mostly devices, and it is much harder to equip your character or ship than with the many useful drops & rewards retrieved from exploration & storyline missions in the Federation PvE.
  • Same goes for funding. My Federation character had more cash than this at this point, and what's more, Klingons appear to sell their equipment rather than offer most stuff for exploration badges, so you get hit twice in the wallet.
  • It was easier, cheaper, quicker, and less painful to go to my rich Federation RA5 and mail over some Mk 3 or 4 equipment from the Exchange than it was to obtain by traditional means, which demonstrates how little I got through drops. A player starting as Klingon as early as possible has a real equipment problem on their hands.
  • The lack of a full range of disruptor weapons is really starting to irritate me.
Help & Docs Concerns:
  • There's zero assistance as to what Medals are used where and for what, or how you obtain them. (I have subsequently figured this out of course, but really, is this what we call help & documentation in the brave new world of MMOs?)
  • There are zero useful popups (the Hints that you just can't get rid of on the Federation side) to give people more information. They are still applicable for newer players at lower levels, because it's not just about 'what can you do in the game' but 'who the hell do you go to'.
General Observations:
  • A large number of missions in the Klingon side are 'do activity X for Y number of times' - the journal gets really disorganised and hard to follow with so many active counters for who've you blown up today. There must be a better way to condense long-running totals than a mission per counter. Indeed, why have the mission? Can't we just have resetting counters?
  • Lt level PvP is just dead. On a busy weekend, the number of people queuing was tiny, compared to the active visible population for that level. For a faction so heavily focused on PvP right now, this is not good at all.
  • Engaging in PvP, or worse, Space War Zones (I've not done Ground yet), seemed really pointless (other than for fun, obviously). I didn't really observe any dramatic reward for participation, DPS, healing, or victory, for a considerable time investment either flying around the War Zone, or queuing and hoping someone turns up to shoot at you.
For ease of reading, my points from the preceding 'initial Klingon experience' post, which you can skip if you read them before:
  • Right from the word go, the loading screens don't imbue you with a sense of being Klingon - just what is that Starfleet symbol doing on this Klingon warrior's screen, hmm? Same goes for other loading screens; we should have an appropriate house symbol and pictures of glorious Klingon battle.
  • A topic I don't really need to mention, but I'm going to anyway - character customisation is, frankly, atrocious, especially for a game that prides itself on that aspect. Clearly beta combo box options that are 'textured or not textured'? As for the range of off-duty uniforms? Don't get me started (and just when are Klingons off-duty anyway?)
  • So I arrive in the Great Hall - I get a one-liner from someone, who later turns out to be the Chancellor (which I kinda knew) - it's not exactly much compared to the dramatic and well-thought-out tutorial for the Federation, is it? I know we are level 6 Feds by definition, and so don't need our hands holding, but still, it's a rubbish welcome. 'Hi, welcome, go do stuff, rah'.
  • Indeed even subsequent PvE or PvP content is very much 'hope you know what you're doing, because we're not going to tell you much'; compared and contrasted with the Federation experience, it's much harder to know where to go and what to do.
  • Distinctions between NPCs and players is just plain awful in the Great Hall. We're all yellow smudges on a beige/yellow background.
  • The complete lack of signs is going to play hell with less dedicated players (who struggle to find Sulu, it seems). Now, true, signs strictly would have to be in Klingon, but perhaps in deference to their new allies the High Council will consent to Klingon and English as a common alternative for Gorn/Orion/Nausicaan?
  • The new exploration missions play Starfleet happy music at you when you complete objectives. This is incredibly off-putting. As a famous Klingon once said 'I am not a merry man!'.
  • Vendors seem to buy from the Federation a lot (lots of phaser weapons about...)
  • The Great Hall is theoretically full of Klingons - have you ever heard of a quiet Klingon? So why is the entire Great Hall so completely noiseless?
  • Klingon space is apparently incredibly cramped. Two whole sectors to work within - it's a little underwhelming.

(*) I'm ignoring the general non-Klingon bugs with Space War Zones, like Borg that get stuck, can shoot you, but you can't shoot them, or weird completion bugs like getting score changes after the zone has completed.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Great post and i hope somebody at Cryptic takes the time to read it.
Its a valuable insight into early game for Klingon players.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Great post. I dont see the PvP part of things getting any better. The que system is boring and repeitive, and that was what the Klingons was suposed to be the Klingons main XP. And the Klingons are a mere skelieton of what it was a launch because of the boring repetive PvP and PvE system.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askarr
Nodes that can yet be scanned can't even be seen whilst you're cloaked. (*)
This is a bug, but not I think the way you describe it. The nodes are supposed to disappear when you cloak. Their intent is to not allow you to scan things while cloaked. So that's one of their new additions to that. At least that's what I kept running into when this was on test. The problem is ... some of the nodes stay visible and can be scanned. It took a quick fix to get it to where I'd drop out of cloak while scanning, and I think that still has some bugs with it.

It's a bit of a mess. That entire mission is.

Quote:
[*]Given that Klingons actually use melee weapons, the lack of a melee expose/exploit system is even more obvious than it was on the Federation side. I don't mind exploits (like Lunge) not vapourisng the target, but why can't we exploit or expose with melee weapons? The NPCs have animations for such things.
Lunge is still an exploit. It just doesn't have the vaporized animation. It still does more damage when you click it while it's exploitable. The only thing the devs intended to change was the animation. Not the combat effectiveness. That is supposed to be merely a cosmetic change. If it isn't working that way, this needs a look. I've been using it rather effectively the entire time and have insta-killed quite a few feds with it and just my auto assault disruptor equipped in PVP. But ... maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention to the details of my combat log.

Quote:
[*]The KDF doesn't have rank badges? At all?[*]Sashes, whilst nice, clip with absolutely everything.[*]Uniforms themselves clip at times.
All three of these drive me absolutely insane. At first I thought, well no rank badges because they have sashes. Then I saw how horrible the sashes look, with the clipping. Oh and the back armor spines are a pain too with some of the uniforms. Klingon uniform stuff is really chaotic, and really needs a serious overhaul.

Quote:
[*]Bird of Prey Customisation is non-existent. All Federation vessels get three different variations, and the BOP can't even vary the wing angle?!
Again, part of the larger issue with klingon side customization being horrible right now. There's only one material? No other window options? It's ... really incomplete compared to fed side. Just like the uniforms. Needs a ton of work.

Quote:
[*]Well for starters: what crafting? Even if Memory Alpha is (rightly) roundly criticised, at least it's something.[*]The lack of real loot begins to show as you do more exploration missions; drops are mostly devices, and it is much harder to equip your character or ship than with the many useful drops & rewards retrieved from exploration & storyline missions in the Federation PvE.
I just have to laugh here. Mainly because of how right you are. On the one hand, yeah, Memory Alpha is so meh. That it's not missed. But yeah, the complete lack of crafting at all does have a larger effect on the overall economy on the klingon side. There's no data drops. And when I get commodities drops, it's laughable because there's no Aid the Planet missions for Klingons (nor should there be). So yeah, it's one more thing that ... needs work.

Quote:
[*]Same goes for funding. My Federation character had more cash than this at this point, and what's more, Klingons appear to sell their equipment rather than offer most stuff for exploration badges, so you get hit twice in the wallet.
Speaking of ... a bug that could be fixed ... I noticed in the PVP space station ... Mk IV Disruptor Cannons are not available for purchase. But MK II are offered twice, at different badge level prices. That's a bug. Get rid of the MK II offered at MK IV tier and put in Mk IV canons please.

Quote:
[*]The lack of a full range of disruptor weapons is really starting to irritate me.
Same. The Feds encounter this a tad much later (like no Photon Torps offered for exploration badges at Admiral level). But the Klingongs feel it early and often.

Quote:
[*]Engaging in PvP, or worse, War Zones, seemed really pointless (other than for fun, obviously). I didn't really observe any dramatic reward for participation, DPS, healing, or victory, for a considerable time investment either flying around the War Zone, or queuing and hoping someone turns up to shoot at you.
Because of all the bugs in the space war zone, I hate it. And won't do it anymore. On either side. Borg Repair Hulls can kiss my ... Anyways, I found the ground war zone, on the Klingon side, a ton of fun. And if you solo it, you get good drops. The low pop level makes it a possibility to get it solo quite often. Not much of a consolation, but ... it's something. I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Glad people like the post; I will endeavour to keep taking notes etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
This is a bug, but not I think the way you describe it. The nodes are supposed to disappear when you cloak. Their intent is to not allow you to scan things while cloaked. So that's one of their new additions to that. At least that's what I kept running into when this was on test. The problem is ... some of the nodes stay visible and can be scanned. It took a quick fix to get it to where I'd drop out of cloak while scanning, and I think that still has some bugs with it.
Ah ok - I was a little surprised I was no longer able to see which could be scanned, even if whilst cloaked I can't actually scan them (i.e. cloaking was a bit of a pain when I'd cloak and think 'dammit which one of those nodes was I about to head to?' just after the white boxes vanished) but if they can only have both, then fair enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Lunge is still an exploit. It just doesn't have the vaporized animation. It still does more damage when you click it while it's exploitable. The only thing the devs intended to change was the animation. Not the combat effectiveness. That is supposed to be merely a cosmetic change. If it isn't working that way, this needs a look. I've been using it rather effectively the entire time and have insta-killed quite a few feds with it and just my auto assault disruptor equipped in PVP. But ... maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention to the details of my combat log.
I should clarify what I mean here. Lunge is indeed a power that can give an exploit - what I meant was that I am still not sure why we have Expose and Exploit in powers & ranged weapons, but none at all in melee.

Consider if my BO knocks a target down and they are exposed - why can't I use a bat'leth in an Exploit mode to impale them instead of having to switch weapons? The Swordmaster NPCs seem to enjoy doing it enough with me as a Federation captain :p
Lt. Commander
# 6 neelix likes the musk.
04-07-2010, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askarr
Consider if my BO knocks a target down
in that case history will remember you as a TRUE KLINGON WARRIOR!!!!

Lt. Commander
# 7
04-07-2010, 07:50 AM
There is a Good day to die Space, it's offered infrequently, but it's there.

Some good stuff here, very valid points one and all. Wonder if anything will be done about it before they decide to add some more Fed content/outfits/mission. The Season One update gave us a little, but we need a lot more.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Great observations, but also depressing to see it put so well. Cryptic should be ashamed of themselves. Really makes you wonder why Klingons get charged full price for STO.

Using a Fed alt to mine items or having a high level Fed certainly helps. Sending your Klingon just a couple of items to sell on the exchange will solve the cash problem - something like Heart of Targ or other rare food commodities would work.

Think of the energy credits Klingon players could earn if they got crafting supply drops.

If Cryptic spent a year of working on nothing but Klingon content/bugs much of this would be made right, but we all know THAT isn't going to happen. Cryptic isn't going to "do right by" Klingons. We are going to limp along with bandaids and an occasional bone while the Feds get more clothes, more ships, more playable races and more overall TLC from the Devs.

Perhaps Cryptic could get some High School computer science students to do telecommute internships, or hire some 3rd World Rent-a-Devs to work on their 3rd World Klingon faction.