Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
The subject pretty much gets the question across, but to explain in more detail. Abilities are usually modified by three skills, which in turn each modify the effectiveness of an ability by a set percentage. The total modifier is usually 100%.

For example, the Tractor Beam ability receives up to an 18% modifier from the Starship Operations Training skill, up to a 30% modifier from the Starship Emitters skill, and up to a 52% modifier from the Starship Tractor Beam skill. The total modifier from these three skills is 18+30+52 = 100%.

The Astrophysicist trait provides the player with a +10 bonus to the Starship Operations Training skill. The Warp Theorist trait provides a +10 bonus to Starship Warp Core Training skill. And the Techie trait provides a +10 bonus to the Starship Engineering Training skill.

Either the intent here is to allow players to reach a maximum bonus of 110% on certain abilities, or the bonus is capped at 100% (regardless of how you get there) and the traits are simply a way to save on skill points.

Which brings us back to the original question: Is 100% the maximum bonus for an ability, or can specific traits push the potential bonus to 110%? If the cap is 100%, I would definitely like to know as it would mean that I could be literally wasting skill points by attempting to raise a bonus higher than it can actually go.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Well, from what I've seen so far, those Points arent %, but just 'Points'.

The Bonus for Medical Tricorder III from all 3 affecting Skills skilled to maximum is 18+30+52 Points (in 3 different Skills, dont forget about that), but the Effect is merely 50%.
I can get a Skill-Bonus of 28+63+122 Points to another Ability, the Effect of those whooping 213 Points is just about 105%.

Edit: Wait a second, looking at these 2 Abilities, one could say that 2 Points give 1% Bonus.
Can anyone check/confirm this?
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-30-2010, 05:12 PM
I can't say for sure. I'll be interested to see who can inform us.
I know there are diminishing returns on some things, and some, or all defenses cannot exceed 75% even with diminished returns, so I am not sure what to think.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouv
Well, from what I've seen so far, those Points arent %, but just 'Points'.

The Bonus for Medical Tricorder III from all 3 affecting Skills skilled to maximum is 18+30+52 Points (in 3 different Skills, dont forget about that), but the Effect is merely 50%.
I can get a Skill-Bonus of 28+63+122 Points to another Ability, the Effect of those whooping 213 Points is just about 105%.

Edit: Wait a second, looking at these 2 Abilities, one could say that 2 Points give 1% Bonus.
Well, the discrepancy comes from the fact that there's a hidden modifier. The new Attack Vectors, Combat Maneuvers, and Battle Strategy skill do a great job of providing this information (and I really wish they would go through all the skill boxes and update them with the same information). For instance, you can raise Starship Attack Vectors to +18 but the maximum accuracy bonus you can obtain from that skill is 15% because the modifier is .833% for that particular stat. So, the breakdown there ends up being .833% x 18 = 15%.

Some skills are more predictable. For instance, if you have a phaser array that does 139 base damage and your Starship Energy Weapons skill is 17 and your Starship Beam Weapons skill is 24, you're receiving the expected 41% bonus for a total of 196 damage.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I wrote a seperate post on the Attack Vectors ability, as I was wondering if 15% is the absolute cap, because if it is, I wonder if the attack bonuses on antiprotons becomes non-existant, should you decide to put 9 points into Attack Vectors.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Still hoping to get some answers on this.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes, there is no reason that your modifier can't go beyond 100% (and it does quite easily). The percentage is applied to the base value only though (before all other modifiers) so it doesn't really get too out of hand.

From your example, Tractor beam receives +% modifiers from three skills which if they are all 9/9 will give you +110 (9/9 operations = +18, 9/9 emitters = +30, 9/9 tractor beam = +52 = +110). You then add your deflector dish (i think Tachyon dish is emitters?) and then up to 4 +30 consoles for another +150ish, gives you +260% depending on how good your dish is maybe another 20 or so? Either way it probably won't go beyond +300%.

All of that, and what does it give you? Just a 250% base duration on Tractor beam, so it lasts about 21seconds instead of the base 6 seconds (or whatever it is...). It's easy to tell if the additions are helping beyond the 100%. Simply go into space and mouse over tractor beam; note the duration. Now remove a console or your dish; note the difference in duration.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouv

It's a different ratio for every ability in the game, while Tricorder scan might be 2pts:1% others could be more or less points:% ratio for any given skill. As well space abilities can be further multiplied by weapon/engine/aux power levels. But so far I've noticed that a large majority of them are very close to 1:1%.