Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy > Player Guides
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
03-17-2010, 02:44 PM
You forgot the whole if you buy STO Credits your welcoming the spammers (:
Lt. Commander
# 22
03-18-2010, 12:47 AM
what about the advertisements i get thru the STO forums and thru the ingame mail?

I assume that it is ok to buy from these since they are apparently allowed to run rampant in your game.
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coraon

You want this to end? Track the spammers IP's and ban the subnet from logging into the game, when their ISP complains give them the logs of which IP's it was and have them deal with the users under most countries anti spamming laws. You have options but if you refuse to use them then you are just as guilty as the spammers.
HAHA.

Companies with more resources than Cryptic have already tried.

These are not kids in bedrooms. Modern day RMT companies operate more like organised crime than anything else. They actively study ways to exploit, hack, and bypass measures to stop them. These are people who have no problem with using stolen credit card info to buy game accounts, rest assured they've already thought of ways around most common methods to stop them.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosableActionFigure View Post
HAHA.

Companies with more resources than Cryptic have already tried.

These are not kids in bedrooms. Modern day RMT companies operate more like organised crime than anything else. They actively study ways to exploit, hack, and bypass measures to stop them. These are people who have no problem with using stolen credit card info to buy game accounts, rest assured they've already thought of ways around most common methods to stop them.
They definitely are organized crime. Someone is responsible for stealing those credit cards, but that someone is not the same as the guys entering the game to farm gold. Spamming alone is an organized crime, with someone "higher up" developing the tools to enable spamming (breaking filters, hacking computers to create their bot nets) and someone else sending/writing those spam mails. It is kinda impressive and frightening what's going on in the world of spam, gold farming and credit card fraud and theft.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
They definitely are organized crime. Someone is responsible for stealing those credit cards, but that someone is not the same as the guys entering the game to farm gold. Spamming alone is an organized crime, with someone "higher up" developing the tools to enable spamming (breaking filters, hacking computers to create their bot nets) and someone else sending/writing those spam mails. It is kinda impressive and frightening what's going on in the world of spam, gold farming and credit card fraud and theft.
And like with everything else, the only way that this is actually worthwhile is because people buy gold/credits/accounts/powerleveling and so forth.

I'm not sure, even with restrictions, that Cryptic could stop the gold farmers/spammers... without hindering their customers...

Blizzard have tried for years to reduce the spam, stop the farmers and so on, and yet, they still have spamming bots all over the main cities...

How to fix it? Come up with a great idea, to stop them, and you'll have revelutionised the market!
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-08-2010, 10:20 AM
i find cryptic saying to do one thang is funny it ok if we use rl cash for there items in there store but to buy from 3 party is wronge.

1 yes spam sucks
2 to fix this all you need to do is expand your store for ship items not just ship skins
3 i have not buy from 3 party but it hard when item's worth 19k sell in game for 375k or more
4 i part time gamer i dont have time farm game 20 hours a day
5 to banace thhis out give death penlty so market be fine
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-17-2010, 03:19 AM
The funny thing companies larger and more experience have been fighting gold spammin since mmo's have come out. No one has found an acceptable solution. Blizzard (WOW) went as far as suing these companies, and even that had little effect. I will say every MMO should offer an account authenticator like WOW, as it has proven to be the best metheod for stopping account hacking.
Lt. Commander
# 28 Very Good! Very Good!
04-20-2010, 10:40 AM
This is very important information. But I really could use without the in game spamming.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalarion
No offense to Cryptic but this will work if only Cryptic takes a active part in stopping these spammers and actively not accept thier money when they buy new copies after getting thier accounts ban.

In a usual week I will get roughly 8-9 spammer mail in my mail box and used to get 10 or more spam messages before turning off TELL. Often times will see spammers parked outside SOL system and in zone chat and even with the complaints to the GM's nothing is done about it. So it leaves me and others with the impression that Cryptic Supports these spammers to make a profit.......

As for the other fools who click on those sites you deserve to have your accounts stolen and banned....
good thing i looked here
Lt. Commander
# 30 You'd be surprised.
04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
I don't think the op is being clear enough. Could I have a puppet show?
You'd be surprised.