Lt. Commander
# 41
04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
SWG was done at launch for almost a full 24 hours and crashed about every few hours after that untill they fixed things.

EVE has had it's share of crashes too from what I hear at launch. And of course EVE had the misfortune, or the players did, of putting out an update that made all Windows computers incapable of booting up if you logged off afterwards.

So, I wouldn't say Cryptic and STO are in those shoes. Every game, MMO or otherwise has had some problems....many much worse then STO.
Lets not forget THE MXO's update that caused nvidia user's drivers to start killing themselves.....i miss that game :'(
Lt. Commander
# 42
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Keep on believing what you want to believe I feel that STO crashes more than any other mmo I have ever played. You can defend it as much as you want but perception is reality when it comes to gaming.
Lt. Commander
# 43
04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBeerLolz View Post
Lets not forget THE MXO's update that caused nvidia user's drivers to start killing themselves.....i miss that game :'(
So glad I stopped playing MXO by that time...lol.
Lt. Commander
# 44
04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celus View Post
Keep on believing what you want to believe I feel that STO crashes more than any other mmo I have ever played. You can defend it as much as you want but perception is reality when it comes to gaming.
I play WoW more than I play ST:O, and I've played just about every game that was recently released just these past two years.

Trust me. ST:O is the most stable launch in this decade, with the possible exception of Everquest II (Which I have never played. Feel free to correct me.)
Lt. Commander
# 45
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Come on Cryptic this is getting old. I would expect this in the first month but having server crashes this late in the game is kinda sad. Please get your stuff fixed there is no reason for this at this mark in the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LkusicUL2s
Lt. Commander
# 46
04-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipKiller
My friend, that you've played online games for...however long, does not make you an expert on computer technology of any kind (servers, "bugs", etc., etc.) I've spent the last 30 years working on state-of-the art systems of every color and kind...from the Cray down trough IBM, Unix, Intel..... I'm degreed in Electronics Engineering(Masters), Programming(Masters) and Telecommunications(Masters)...yup.

Put simply; while STO may be "just a game", Cryptic consists of people in my field....doing what I've been doing most of my adult life. So, what's your bona fides?

Cryptic had planned for expansion....not. They've been experiencing repetitive problems/issues...which in Banking, Communications, or any other endeavor...would certainly be most unacceptable. Heads would roll. I manage a $123 million faciltiy (Mutual Funds/Banking/Real Estate...among others of our concerns) with 63 people under me. I can tell you this sir...heads would have rolled long ago and several new faces would have appeared on the scene.

People who pay their hard earned money for a product which repeatedly fails them, are very much in the right to vent. If you bought a car that failed you and your family as frequently as Cryptic fails it's customers.....you'd; I'm sure, sing a different tune.

If you're going to voice your opinion in defference to others whom are as free; in this country, to do so as are you...at least, do so with respect to issues you actually know something about.

I do....Cryptic is dropping the ball...the SAME ball, over and over and over again....for multiple reasons...mostly poor planning and thus poor management. That's the name of that tune.
Couple of things. You didn't mention the fact that certain systems require a higher level of up time or higher mean time to failure or whatever metric you want to use. Yes, a car or a plane or a medical monitoring device needs to have "6 sigma" quality or better in terms of up time. These are critical systems. They fail, people die. Your facility fails, and people are unable to complete business transactions. Not quite as critical as human lives, but very important. A MMO crashes, people don't get to play. A pain for sure, but hardly on the level of your facility, and nowhere near on the level of a plane malfunctioning in the air. So comparing your facility to an MMO is not a very clean analogy. Yes, they are both server farms providing a service, but the critical nature of the two are miles apart. No one wants downtime or bugs, but the level of acceptable downtime and bugs in the two systems is completely different.

Second, how do you know that Cryptic is dropping the SAME ball? Is the reason of this crash the same as the one before? Is it the same as the issue that was giving zone changes such a headache? The symptom is the same, but the root cause is probably different each time.

Again, I'm not saying Cryptic can't or shouldn't try to do better. I think they can, and I think they should. I just am saying to compare an MMO to a car or to a financial institution is apples and oranges so to speak.

A third part. How complex is your financial facility compared to an MMO of this scale? Do you have as many systems and subsystems? Do you have as much throughput per user as an MMO? Are users connected to your systems as long and with constant data transfer as an MMO? Do you change your systems and subsystems as often as an MMO does?
Lt. Commander
# 47
04-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
As long as it's understood that your perception isn't in any way based on reality. Sometimes drunk guys perceive pink elephants; doesn't mean Animal Control needs to up their patrols around bars.