Lt. Commander
Currently, on your ship you can only visit your bridge, on which you can do almost nothing. My proposal is that you also have the option to visit your ship's holodeck. On the holodeck you can run various combat scenarios, either on ground or space battles. This would be a good way to test new character and ship builds as well as giving you something to do if you are just bored and feel like something different. In addition, like on the bridge you can invite friends to join you in the holodeck. You would be able to choose the specifics of your battle such as enemy race and difficulty. In the holodeck you would still earn xp although it would not be a replacement as a fast way of leveling. at the hardest setting, you would only earn 1/2 the xp you would get in actual combat. As you level up in the game, you will unlock new holodeck scenarios.

Tell me what you guys think, and any additional ideas would be great!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-09-2010, 11:52 PM
you're not the first person to post a holodeck suggestion, and i'm betting you won't be the last...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Decent idea. But could lead to confusion since the live server is actually named Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-10-2010, 12:56 AM
Actually, the devs have already stated the desire and plan to implement this in some form.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=2498248

Specifically this part
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Some quick answers
  • We have a plan for Holodecks. It is not in Season Two but it is coming.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-10-2010, 01:01 AM
I think this is actually a very inventive idea. It would be nice to come home to my ship and decide I want to fight at the alamo or something, or fight the red baron. You could also put in the British naval promotion program, that would be cool.

My issue with this though is that it should not become another instance. I'd like to actually wander around my ship from place to place. I just don't want it to be another button I press that leads to an instance. I'd like to take a turbolift to the physical location and walk in.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaSamurai
I think this is actually a very inventive idea. It would be nice to come home to my ship and decide I want to fight at the alamo or something, or fight the red baron. You could also put in the British naval promotion program, that would be cool.

My issue with this though is that it should not become another instance. I'd like to actually wander around my ship from place to place. I just don't want it to be another button I press that leads to an instance. I'd like to take a turbolift to the physical location and walk in.
Even then, you might still get the load screen though... Believe it or not, not all load screens mean "loading into another instance" Take for instance the starbase at Sol. when you go up to the lounge area or take the turbo lift over the shipyard, you get a load screen. However, what this load screen does is it hides the fact that your camera is lerping into position. What is lerping? Linear Interpolation.

Basically, Cryptic's got this camera smoothing routine that they have painted themselves into a corner in regards to moving it around. If it were me, I'd make a seperate function that just snaps the camera into place instead of having a load screen until it finishes sliding into the new location.

And at this point, I wonder if coderanger or someone else is going to raise an eyebrow when they see that I know about their camera lerping... I saw it from a bug once where the load screens weren't popping up, I swear!
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaSamurai

I envision entering the turbolift from your bridge, and being able to select which deck to visit via button press. With one deck having, say, engineering, another the sick bay and transporter room, and another captains quarters and holodeck. Then when the doors open, you can walk through your ship to one of these locations and enter. That would be ideal, and feasible IMO. Then you could custom tailor the appearance of these locations, like the bridge, with additional options in C-store.
The holodeck combat sim idea is pretty good. But the ability to also create non-combat sims would be nice too. Say, (ripping off from Voyager) a bar where you can shoot some pool or something, and maybe a vacation resort to get away when you aren't close to Risa. Of course, complex holodeck storyline sims would be best.