Lt. Commander
# 11
04-12-2010, 08:32 AM
They have a responsibility to develop art assets that are in demand by the community. Female avatars which are not attractive are, historically, not in demand by MMO players (surprise!). When you're a game developer trying to decide how an artist should spend his time, you have to consider what the majority of players want and will be interested in. Ugly female character models are not among the list of things that the majority of MMO players want.

It's just not practical for them to spend a bunch of time and money developing art and models that a tiny handful of players might use, particularly when most players at this point have already maxed out their available character slots and so new characters are relatively few and far between.

This is not about equality. It's about the fact that art is a time-consuming process, and almost nobody is asking for more female character models (including female players, who also are historically uninterested in playing ugly character models). I respect the fact that you want this, but it's important to understand how much in the minority your opinion is.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrocks
At least there are females at all. There were no KDF females at all in closed beta. And we did recently get gloves just like the Fed side. So from my perspective the situation is at least improving, albeit slowly.

But yes it needs a whole lot of work.
The difference in available character customization between Fed and Klingon factions has INCREASED since release of the game. Yes, Klingons got a tiny bit more customization, but the Feds got a ton more - playable species, off duty clothes, TOS skirts, etc. Using this as a measure, some would say that the situation has gotten worse.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfyre010 View Post
They have a responsibility to develop art assets that are in demand by the community. Female avatars which are not attractive are, historically, not in demand by MMO players (surprise!).
This totally explains the female Tellarite avatar.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-12-2010, 10:26 AM
I'll say it again: I am very, VERY surprised that the devs simply don't spam a few of the NPC clothing on the tailor. I mean when you think Orions, you don't think overclad green girls in weird Klingon uniforms, right? Most funny thing is that they have that advisory council now to tell them what's Star Trek and what isn't... well I think we can do that just as well on these forums, just takes a few devs to read it through.

Content is easily added at this stage, most of the models, stats, etc. are in the game. Maybe they're reserving a lot for the Season 2 patch? One thing is certain tho, I've spoken to a lot of peeps and they're willing to sit out the ride 'till Season 2 patch. If that one goes bonkers also then I think a lot of the active community will wave STO bye bye. I'd personally hate to see that happen but after playing Age of Conan and Warhammer Online... well let's just say that nothing would surprise me anymore and I've learned to keep my hopes low in the world of MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
wow and I thought I were the only one...

My first thought when I regocnized that STO is coming was: I will be one of the Duras Sisters!

Then I read ... naa we dont spent much time on Klingons, nobody wants to play them ..
and finally I have to run around in Dessous! disgusting. If we could only wear the body amor...

And i would love to play a female Gorn.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfyre010 View Post
They have a responsibility to develop art assets that are in demand by the community. Female avatars which are not attractive are, historically, not in demand by MMO players (surprise!). When you're a game developer trying to decide how an artist should spend his time, you have to consider what the majority of players want and will be interested in. Ugly female character models are not among the list of things that the majority of MMO players want..
Wuh?

The Klingon female uniform options are ass-ugly. The cutout armor just looks stupid, those silly worthless collars are crappy, the shoulderpads don't make any sense at all and look ugly, and even the armored corset is kinda meh. Also with the giant Ug boots.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I have to say, I've thought this as well. There are female Ferengi (yeuch) and female Tellarites. I am hoping they diversify just because it makes sense. Also it really wouldn't be that hard. Female gorn probably would be slighter and possibly have a different color pattern. Letheans, perhaps the same as they're reptiles as well. Nausicaans I don't see why they don't have females. Speaking of which I want Nausicaan armor asap! I love their Knockoff Predator style. I realize that the Klingons have a masculine culture, but even Lursa was a warrior apparently.

In another vein, I'd like to see some skins given to us for our ships, so we can have a Cruiser with Nausicaan, Orion, Gorn or even Lethean flair. That way we feel more like the captain of the ship from which faction our character draws from. Uniform options suit this as well. The other races are part of the Klingon empire, but that doesn't make them Klingon either.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STObee
The difference in available character customization between Fed and Klingon factions has INCREASED since release of the game. Yes, Klingons got a tiny bit more customization, but the Feds got a ton more - playable species, off duty clothes, TOS skirts, etc. Using this as a measure, some would say that the situation has gotten worse.
I wasn't comparing KDF to Fed stuff. That is entirely pointless.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Female Ferengi (pretty or not, matter of taste) make some canon-sense in the Federation. Male Ferengi don't. Not really. But that's a completely different issue.

I can't say I play characters generally seen as 'sexy' or 'pretty'. If I want sexy pretty characters, I can go to Second Life and open a lab dance bar or something. Star Trek isn't about being pretty. I can imagine in a scifi setting, the demand for more exotic looking aliens, especially 'monster' looks, would get some more attention. I mean, the demand is there, Gorn seem very popular and they are the species that mostly qualifies as 'monster looks'.
I play a Lethean because he looks canon. From my favourite species (those available in the game), Letheans are the closest to canon. Ferengi have wrong traits and don't belong in the Fed faction; Nausicaans simply look wrong and the super-limited customization doesn't let me make them look right. Not even close to right.
My long-time roleplay character is a female half-Nausicaan, yet I can't even make that with the alien creator because the teeth aren't there for female. Same for Lethean. I really looked foreward to play her, but alas, won't happen. No Nausicaan Raider for me, no Nausicaan teeth for me, no Nausicaan hair for me, no uniform that doesn't scream KDF Walmart for me. 2 years working out a roleplay character, detailed Nausicaan culture, pirate codex, language... just to not be able to use it in the game.

I see how the general tone of STO appeals to the 'typical Star Trek roleplayer'. Everyone wants to be a captain; in every forum, every magazine, you see the ads of yet another forum or mailing list roleplay setting, and its always a Starfleet Captain, always looking for a crew, and best this yet-to-be-found crew is human, Vulcan or some other popular Fed species.
Its no surprise that the KDF players - who obviously don't fit into this typical Trek roleplayer profile - are unhappy.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
There's a ridiculous amount of KDF uniform items seen on NPCs that we can't use. Trenchcoats, eyepatches, sashes, armor / uniforms, gorn / orion / nausicaan clothing and uniforms, etc.

I will agree that the gap on level of customization between KDF and Federation player characters has gotten WORSE since the game went live.

I mean, if the devs want to slow down the amount of PvP going on, at least give us options to look good while we sit around doing squat.