Lt. Commander
# 1 SYstem crash w/GTX-285
04-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I have re-occuring system crashes with STO on my system. (lock/blue screen/full restart)I have latest N-Videa drivers for the card installed on a Asus core system using the I7 processor. OS is Windows-7 (64bit) and I always get a system crash about 10 min into playing, sometimes less. Once the system restarts I don't have any other problems. The system does not change drivers on the restart. I've pulled the card and had it checked and the card is good and meets all factory specification. Base system has 12 GB system RAM, so I honestly do not have any idea why its happening and I suspects its not on my end. This system runs MS-Fliught sim with all options on without issue, along with Napolean Total War, ****, and several other recent titles. I have only encountered this crash issue with STO.

Again, once the computer restarts there are usually no further problems. At restart the system does not change video drivers or roll back to an earlier state. Its something I can live with but it IS annoying.

I can only assume that its the age of the game/graphics engine ya'll are using as it certainly is not the latest and greatest. Still hats off to Cryptic.. Nice job of making it happen with what? a 10 years game engine?

Cordially
Terrance Roff
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-12-2010, 02:32 AM
Does the crash only happen when on ground missions, try this, when going on ground mission disable Dynamic lighting, then when back on the ship enable it......my brother has this very issue and with his nvidia card and this has stopped the pc resetting crash, he still get the very occsional crash to desktop but the full PC reset is gone....thats assuming you have dynamic lighting on for the game, if its already off then try limiting your frame rate to 60 or 30 and switch of soft particals.

I have no doubt this was casued by something in the last patch and they are no doubt working on a fix for their next patch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-12-2010, 02:49 AM
Careful, STO is a pretty good game for exposing latent faults on a GTX 28x card.
My GTX 280 went bust, and STO was the very first game to start showing symptoms.

I would keep an eye on what happens, and if you start getting artifacting, then you will know that the card is pfffft.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Careful, STO is a pretty good game for exposing latent faults on a GTX 28x card.
My GTX 280 went bust, and STO was the very first game to start showing symptoms.

I would keep an eye on what happens, and if you start getting artifacting, then you will know that the card is pfffft.

you mean the overheating caused by sto caused your card to throw a fit and die?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffeeuk
you mean the overheating caused by sto caused your card to throw a fit and die?
Nope, i mean latent faults in the hardware, exposed by the stress placed on all the components.
Different programs stress the hardware in different ways, and in this case overheat was definatley not an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-13-2010, 03:51 AM
^^^When did MS start making video cards. LOL