Lt. Commander
# 1 Set and hold a rate of turn
04-13-2010, 01:50 PM
We can already "set and forget" speed and pitch. Can we get this same ability for turning? A simple "auto-center" toggle in the control options would work just fine I think.

I'm imagining...
  • an arc above the shield display at the bottom of the HUD with an indicator that moves back and forth with our turns, similar to the vertical speed bar to the left of the shield display
  • turning our ships with A/D or by clicking on the arc
  • if we turn auto-center off we'd be able to press and release the A/D key to maintain a turn instead of holding the key down for the entire turn
  • we'd be able to circle around at various rates of turn instead of either holding the key for full rudder or tap tap tapping the key for less rudder
  • add a slight pause at rudder amidships to ease returning to straight flight and/or add a rudder amidships keybind or HUD button
  • if we turn auto-center on navigation would feel exactly like it does right now

This applies mostly to us cruiser captains I would imagine since we tend to circle around the battlefield. Well, I do at least and this would be a most welcome addition.

Yes, I know starships don't have rudders. :p
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Yeah, this would be nice especially since most battles tend to turn into ships circling each other, especially crusiers.

I think you can emulate this though with binds, and make "sticky" turn commands. Like say make shift-A be "sticky turn left". I think the only issue is pressing A by itself wouldn't unsticky the turn, but I'm not sure on that.