Lt. Commander
I agree that mines should deter people from tab targeting. Tab targeting is notoriously unreliable in more than just this game. I use tab targeting when there is an obvious target. Which brings me to mines...

Do they have any use? Maybe to be fair we can buff mines (cause they kinda suck). A full spread can't kill me when I'm cloaked.

Any thoughts?

*edited for me being an idiot*
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I think flaming might be a bit over the top but I don't understand why Tab Targeting should be treated as taboo over mouse clicking. I personally can't stand that I have to use the mouse at all (and if it wasn't for the crappy camera I wouldn't).

All that aside, I do dislike the really odd targeting system that this game employs. I can't target the enemy who is attacking me because he is just off the edge of the screen. The mines themselves shouldn't be an issue because unless I'm mistaken (and it wouldn't be the first time XD) there are options that prevent you from auto targeting objects. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
you know you have the option for tab targetting to not target objects right? What he said.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Ugh I fail. I guess I have no reputation anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Don't sweat it, we all have our moments.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
In that case why the HECK do mines suck so much? A full spread can't even kill me when I'm cloaked.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-13-2010, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't know... never used em.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
In that case why the HECK do mines suck so much? A full spread can't even kill me when I'm cloaked.
Hmm a speced quantum dispersal pattern beta III would probably kill you if you had no kinetic resistance. Without any skill points spend, it will barely scratch you.

But most people forget, that mines are a supplement and NOT primary weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-14-2010, 04:13 AM
this one is easy:

torps: u fire them when u whant them to hit
mines: u fire them when u hope for them to hit (they actualy dont)

also

1 torp = 4 mines (but u get 5)

so if u drop ur mines u will probably not hit anything (ur oponent has to be in your back, and his shields will have to be down, and he has to be wanting to fly true your mines, and atleas 4 have to hit in order for you to get even the same amount of damage as a torp. this all results into an epic fail and you are way better to juts put a torp in your rear slot.

look at what a single torp would do to normal hull (with no debuffs, it wont be that high either) they get insane when u have multiple multipliers (like APA APB HYT FoM etc) mines prob get same buffs but just look at my previous point i made.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Afraid people are missing the point of mines.

Mines is great for...
...taking out tricobalt when your ship is disable or position bad angle for firing arc.
...for having a delayed exploding effect when your trying to get away at full impulse but can't since your in combat and your enemy just recently hit the mines or has to go around the mines so they can keep pursuing you.
...for making sure enemies can't pass certain areas without being delayed.
...for added kinetic DPS when your ship is hugging another ship's hull, the mine after a few seconds will travel to your front target.

I'm sure a few more reasons to use them.

I use mine launcher myself, tried something else for the back but couldn't find anything worth replacing with.

Great for slow turning ships or dispersal patterns(or so i hear).