Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkyou
At this point it seems unlikely that they will nerf the existing consoles, or all those people who bought +30 consoles for 5 million will feel ripped off (and I'd hate to think I cheated anyone )
Well, they could swap all the grandfathered consoles for new purples of the same mark, or maybe just swap out all existing grandfathered Mk VI+s with new purple Mk Xs. That way, they are still better than what you can likely get now, but only slightly.

Anyway, personally, I understand why they nerfed the consoles. They devs had this idea that we would take different consoles. But no, we crazy players have a tendency to pick some power and then stacking consoles to support it to the max. Much like they are sort of surprised we do the exact same thing with tactical consoles.

So, essentially, we're making science powers more powerful than they want them to be. Since scaling is linear, that puts them in a rough spot. They don't want to nerf the initial value, as then the power isn't good without the support. They want taking the T1, T2, and T3-5 science skills to be worthwhile, so science powers have to scale decently. But then they've got consoles and the Deflector Dish spot to deal with.

Basically, you're typical power can scale by 100 skill. Some, the ones that benefit from the skills that the 3 team skills raise, by 130. Powers that rely on science skills though, due to the deflector dish spot and science consoles, could scale by an additional 160. Over twice as much as others. Now, we're looking at possibly an additional 100 still, so still twice others, ignoring teams.

So, if the devs want a power to top out at 10 (and are fine with it going to 11 with a team skill), your typical skill would start at 5 and hit 10 at 100 skill. A science skill would have to start at 5 and take 260 skill to hit 10. Or else start at 3 and hit 10 at 260 skill. Or potentially it gets to start at 3, hits 6 at 100 skill, and hits 11 at 260, 12 with science team. In essence, science powers have to be designed weaker than others to start with and with 100 skill, because we might choose to make it stronger.

I've said it before (before the nerf even) and will no doubt say it again, having science consoles be +skill was and still is a mistake.

The devs should take the time and think up some decent science console ideas and flat out replace the +skill ones. All of them, new and grandfathered, to the scrap heap. If that means some science powers are too weak without the benefit of consoles, those can then be identified and fixed. Because, odds are, if they are too weak without the consoles, they aren't the ones we're picking the consoles to boost anyway.