Lt. Commander
# 1 Klingon Eyestrain
04-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Seeing as how I already have two RAs and a Captain on the Federation side of things, I decided to make a Klingon character just to balance things out a little, see how things go...and attempt to continue my shunning of pvp by making a character that only levels via exploration-type stuff. *chuckles*

Anyhoo...the very first thing I noticed, above all else, is that it is VERY HARD TO SEE ANYTHING. No wonder the Klingons and their affiliated races are angry all the time! They've all got headaches from trying to see anything on their dang bridges and space stations!

It has reached the point where I don't even want to work on my Klingon toon any more, not because of any ideological differences or even gameplay differences, but because I'm tired of straining my eyes to see anything. Sure, Qo'nos is fairly well-lit, but that's the exception to the rule so far. The space station over in Eta Eridani is a complete joke...half of the NPCs are cloaked in shadow while working at their computer screens. That's just silly.

I know that the idea was to go for a brooding, angry sort of look, but this is just ridiculous. Well-lit areas do not denote that you're less of a warrior or anything, they just say that you enjoy being able to see what you're doing and where you're going! And don't get me started on the all-red color scheme, although at least that's kinda warrior-like... Just remember the horrors of the Nintendo Visual Boy (which Klingon space eerily resembles). All red lines on a black background over an extensive period of time equals eyestrain and headaches. ...well, okay, the design of the unit didn't help there, but still.

*sighs*

Anyhoo...yeah. While it's kinda fun tooling around in a BoP, the fun gets sucked right out of things when I get tired of squinting at the screen and pondering turning the gamma settings all the way up.

-Kunou
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah that is sorta annoying...but whats even more annoying is there are no signs on Qo'nos that tell you where stuff is located.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-13-2010, 02:29 PM
My fave are the planets with puke-green fog (or whatever that stuff is that comes out of the ground). Mostly its so dense, I can't see anything on a puke-green territory, with puke-green vegetation, and puke-green sky. Seriously, how am I supposed to find the 4 whatevers to destroy on such planets, without scanners to point a direction and a minimap that is as useful as a doormat (and broken half of the time).
I never get that particular planet on Fed side. Any of the puke-green components, mixed with other, better contrast parts, yes. But never the Puke Swamps of Doom.
Lt. Commander
# 4 sex
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
I think it has something to do with the whole klingon style of play with cloaking etc. Attacking from the shadows is our tactical advantage, therefore we must be used to the idea of living and surviving in the shadows despite the disadvantage it gives us of not being able to see anything or any shifty things going around us. (Gorns staring at the vulnerable orion slave girls).

Anyway just my two cents.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaSux View Post
Yeah that is sorta annoying...but whats even more annoying is there are no signs on Qo'nos that tell you where stuff is located.
Agreed! I just started a Klingon character today and the first thing I did was get hopelessly lost. No signage, no map demarcations for important NPCs, no nothing. Terrible layout, too.