Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Line View Post
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6356/tempss.jpg

So I'm looking at my Orbital Strike ability ... and wondering why it's so wimptacular. 41 Phaser damage per target? Really? My Phaser Compression Pistol Mk VIII does 27 damage in a single shot EVERY SECOND, and does 128 damage using its second shot every 6 seconds.

41 Phaser damage ... once every 3 minutes to ... 1 to 12 targets (most likely 1) ... with no 5% chance to hold like a handheld phaser does?

Exploit Attack? REALLY? ** HOW ?? **
Exposes don't last long enough to "wait" for the Orbital Strike to arrive.

"Massive damage" ...? To what? My ego? This isn't even enough damage per target to 1-shot Fabrications!

"More damage variance than most abilities" ...? How can a damage range of 41 to ... 41 ... produce any variance AT ALL?

+6 feet of knockback every 3 minutes? Is that all?!? Sniper Rifle and Blast Assault both do +8 feet of knockback, 66% of the time every 10-16 seconds. Pulse Rifle and Arcwave Assault both do +16 feet of knockback 33% of the time every 13 seconds.

Here's what I want to know.

Why isn't Orbital Strike set up to simply do a specified TOTAL amount of damage, which will then get DIVIDED among all the targets within the AoE when the attack hits? That gives you high single target damage, and lower distributed damage against (clustered) multiple targets.

Why isn't Orbital Strike an Expose attack, rather than an Exploit attack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snix View Post
Orbital Strike will be getting a bump in damage shortly. The 'light show' will have a lot more behind it.

-snix
Bug Report # 815,540 (filed this morning on Holodeck after patch simply to record screenshot to post here)

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6356/tempss.jpg

Note (lack of) damage (worth time spent activating this ability) shown in Ability window.

THE PISTOL IN MY HAND *STILL* DOES MORE DAMAGE THAN THE STARSHIP OVERHEAD.

snix posted on 23 March 2010 that "Orbital Strike will be getting a bump in damage shortly. The 'light show' will have a lot more behind it."

It is now 13 April 2010 ... three weeks later.

Engineers are still waiting ...

May I request that an internal "follow up" on this issue might be helpful?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-14-2010, 03:11 AM
Engineer powers in general are pretty lame. *sigh*
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Line View Post
Bug Report # 815,540 (filed this morning on Holodeck after patch simply to record screenshot to post here)

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6356/tempss.jpg

Note (lack of) damage (worth time spent activating this ability) shown in Ability window.

THE PISTOL IN MY HAND *STILL* DOES MORE DAMAGE THAN THE STARSHIP OVERHEAD.

snix posted on 23 March 2010 that "Orbital Strike will be getting a bump in damage shortly. The 'light show' will have a lot more behind it."

It is now 13 April 2010 ... three weeks later.

Engineers are still waiting ...

May I request that an internal "follow up" on this issue might be helpful?

I for one would be perfectly happy if Cryptic would just change this ability from being an exploit attack to being an expose attack.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
IMO it should be an area insta-kill weapon with a looooong cooldown.
That or remove it completely.

I mean for crying out loud the thing is a ships phaser beam, a weapon capable of drilling deep through the mantle of a planet with precision accuracy.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-15-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree it is lackluster, and wish it was an exploit weapon or an AoE stun (per TOS).