Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Idea for increasing RP depth:
04-16-2010, 10:51 AM
(Warning: this is a long thread, please hang in there and read the whole before passing judgment.)

First off let me say that I enjoy playing this game and have no plans to quit the game whatsoever, this is just a couple of ideas that I've come up with over the course of playing that expand on the current state of the game. With that said, let me begin:

Remodeling and expanding the current House and Fleet System:

Alright, first off this comes from the fact that guilds on both sides of the neutral zone are referred to as "Fleets" (as opposed to "Fleets and Houses" as it was originally pitched to us); it's the Fleet Ambassador on Qo'noS (and SB 1), the Fleet tab on the drop down menu, and the Fleet channel in chat.

I am not proposed that this be changed, rather I am proposing that Cryptic take advantage of the situation, declare all guilds to be Fleets, and transfer the Houses to being completely dependent on the individual players, thus making both operationally independent of each other. Doing so would drastically increase the personalization of each character/account, as well as increase the RP potential of the game and open up new avenues for quests and episode content.

This comes from the reality that there is no real feel to being part of a Klingon House in the game, it really just feels more like being part of a guild in WoW or EVE for obvious reasons, and changing that feeling is incredibly difficult to do as it requires full Guild focus and multiple Guilds doing the same thing for full effet. Furthermore, the current House vs. House system comprises of the House of Martok vs. The House of Duras, selection of which flag you're under is completely random (which the RPer in me hates as I would rather spill the blood of the entire House of Duras rather than fight under it's flag :p).

These changes would also work out as a plus for the Federation as well as I will explain further on in this post, but for the moment take a look at all of the changes that I am proposing:

List of Changes:
  1. As stated; make the Fleets and Houses independent systems of each other, with all guilds being referred to strictly as "Fleets" with Houses being completely dependent on the individual player rather than a group.

  2. From that allow players to create their own Houses in the game that span all the characters in their account(s).

  3. For example: My main character is Sivar, and I create the House of Sivar as the House that my character belongs to, and in game my character is recognized by the NPCs as being a member of that House (for better or worse). If I wanted to RP it that my alt is a member of my main's House, then I could accept that character into my House, and the same story for if I had a second account and simply bring it all under the same flag as far as the NPCs are concerned.

  4. Allow players to create their own insignia/House symbol that is available to all members of the House for display on the uniforms as well as the ships next to the symbol of the Empire.

  5. As a result, allow players to have their own house/property on the Qo'noS (or where ever based on race and faction, as player housing is a long-standing request in many MMOs). Said properties could be filled with NPCs (servants, children, or w/e) and/or various items from completed missions, or sentimental pieces (i.e. a family blade for the Klingons among other possibilities for the other races). The technology for this is already perfectly established in STO as it would just be another instanced off section available to the individual players.

  6. As it would be related to in-game Fleets, allow players to mass join Fleets (i.e. pledge their entire House, if you will), this would automatically join all members of the House to the said Fleet. In game it could read, "The House of 'name' commits its forces to 'fleet name'." Thus adding RP depth and saving players the trouble of adding alts/mains to a new Fleet.

  7. Missions/PvP matches completed would contribute to the Honor of the players House, rather than the individual, thus creating a single "Honor Pool" for lack of a better term that all members of the House could draw from. Thus really giving meaning to the phrase, "Honor to your House."

  8. Players could be able to set relationships with other players/factions for their House. For example: Say I wanted to RP it that my character hated the Gorn, I could set a relationship meter so that I would avoid the Gorn race in general and not receive any additional Gorn Bridge Officer candidates for my character and all members of the House.

  9. Allow challenges to be issued between player Houses for 1 on 1 fights for Honor, and establish a statistic system that shows the number of victories that a given player has over their opponents (at given ranks and other considered factors)

  10. With all of that said for the Houses, it would then leave the door open to add Fleet Bases to the game, with the further possibilities for challenges to be issued between Fleets for full scale fighting, and a new potential map/scenario for Base capture/destruction.

That's just the tip of the iceberg really, the possibilities from quest arcs that this would provide alone just about makes it worth it .

However I'm sure that most of you have noticed that the list was geared more towards the Klingon faction, while I admit that it is geared more towards the Empire. Just for you Federation fans, I have included how it could be properly translated to the Federation if needed (obvious stuff is not mentioned....):

Federation Changes:
  1. Add to the faction: Societies and Families (more or less the same thing but the names cover multiple bases as some races in the Federation may place higher value on Family than others) and would appear in game as the player being a member of the given group or family (name and type determined by the individual player of course)

  2. Player houses could be placed on the character's Homeworld of choice (i.e. Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, etc.)

  3. When joining a new Fleet, it could read to say, "XXX Society/Institute contributes to the 1st Fleet" or "The Family of XXX contributes to the 1st Fleet" and so on.

The system would also be able to translate to any expansion factions such as the Romulans/Hirogen or Cardassians.

Anyway, what do yall think, or do yall have any additional ways to expand depth?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
04-17-2010, 11:48 AM
What? Nobody has a thought on this?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
04-17-2010, 03:03 PM
well i see where you are going and it does have lore - ol worf houses of this and that

i suggest role play would be enhanced by

-no map in space
-first person view
-bridgecrew that can die
-viewscreen/bridgeview and smoke and lights if you get hit by a torpedo
-demotions
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
04-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Some very cool ideas you have here
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
04-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennan View Post
Some very cool ideas you have here
Thanks, I'm glad you like them

Quote:
Originally Posted by attacko
well i see where you are going and it does have lore - ol worf houses of this and that

i suggest role play would be enhanced by

-no map in space
-first person view
-bridgecrew that can die
-viewscreen/bridgeview and smoke and lights if you get hit by a torpedo
-demotions
The functioning bridge and bridge-play would certainly add to the immersion factor of the game, and it may come in the future sometime, but nobody can say for sure now....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
04-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
(Warning: this is a long thread, please hang in there and read the whole before passing judgment.)

First off let me say that I enjoy playing this game and have no plans to quit the game whatsoever, this is just a couple of ideas that I've come up with over the course of playing that expand on the current state of the game. With that said, let me begin:

Remodeling and expanding the current House and Fleet System:

Alright, first off this comes from the fact that guilds on both sides of the neutral zone are referred to as "Fleets" (as opposed to "Fleets and Houses" as it was originally pitched to us); it's the Fleet Ambassador on Qo'noS (and SB 1), the Fleet tab on the drop down menu, and the Fleet channel in chat.

I am not proposed that this be changed, rather I am proposing that Cryptic take advantage of the situation, declare all guilds to be Fleets, and transfer the Houses to being completely dependent on the individual players, thus making both operationally independent of each other. Doing so would drastically increase the personalization of each character/account, as well as increase the RP potential of the game and open up new avenues for quests and episode content.

This comes from the reality that there is no real feel to being part of a Klingon House in the game, it really just feels more like being part of a guild in WoW or EVE for obvious reasons, and changing that feeling is incredibly difficult to do as it requires full Guild focus and multiple Guilds doing the same thing for full effet. Furthermore, the current House vs. House system comprises of the House of Martok vs. The House of Duras, selection of which flag you're under is completely random (which the RPer in me hates as I would rather spill the blood of the entire House of Duras rather than fight under it's flag :p).

These changes would also work out as a plus for the Federation as well as I will explain further on in this post, but for the moment take a look at all of the changes that I am proposing:

List of Changes:
  1. As stated; make the Fleets and Houses independent systems of each other, with all guilds being referred to strictly as "Fleets" with Houses being completely dependent on the individual player rather than a group.

  2. From that allow players to create their own Houses in the game that span all the characters in their account(s).

  3. For example: My main character is Sivar, and I create the House of Sivar as the House that my character belongs to, and in game my character is recognized by the NPCs as being a member of that House (for better or worse). If I wanted to RP it that my alt is a member of my main's House, then I could accept that character into my House, and the same story for if I had a second account and simply bring it all under the same flag as far as the NPCs are concerned.

  4. Allow players to create their own insignia/House symbol that is available to all members of the House for display on the uniforms as well as the ships next to the symbol of the Empire.

  5. As a result, allow players to have their own house/property on the Qo'noS (or where ever based on race and faction, as player housing is a long-standing request in many MMOs). Said properties could be filled with NPCs (servants, children, or w/e) and/or various items from completed missions, or sentimental pieces (i.e. a family blade for the Klingons among other possibilities for the other races). The technology for this is already perfectly established in STO as it would just be another instanced off section available to the individual players.

  6. As it would be related to in-game Fleets, allow players to mass join Fleets (i.e. pledge their entire House, if you will), this would automatically join all members of the House to the said Fleet. In game it could read, "The House of 'name' commits its forces to 'fleet name'." Thus adding RP depth and saving players the trouble of adding alts/mains to a new Fleet.

  7. Missions/PvP matches completed would contribute to the Honor of the players House, rather than the individual, thus creating a single "Honor Pool" for lack of a better term that all members of the House could draw from. Thus really giving meaning to the phrase, "Honor to your House."

  8. Players could be able to set relationships with other players/factions for their House. For example: Say I wanted to RP it that my character hated the Gorn, I could set a relationship meter so that I would avoid the Gorn race in general and not receive any additional Gorn Bridge Officer candidates for my character and all members of the House.

  9. Allow challenges to be issued between player Houses for 1 on 1 fights for Honor, and establish a statistic system that shows the number of victories that a given player has over their opponents (at given ranks and other considered factors)

  10. With all of that said for the Houses, it would then leave the door open to add Fleet Bases to the game, with the further possibilities for challenges to be issued between Fleets for full scale fighting, and a new potential map/scenario for Base capture/destruction.

That's just the tip of the iceberg really, the possibilities from quest arcs that this would provide alone just about makes it worth it .

However I'm sure that most of you have noticed that the list was geared more towards the Klingon faction, while I admit that it is geared more towards the Empire. Just for you Federation fans, I have included how it could be properly translated to the Federation if needed (obvious stuff is not mentioned....):

Federation Changes:
  1. Add to the faction: Societies and Families (more or less the same thing but the names cover multiple bases as some races in the Federation may place higher value on Family than others) and would appear in game as the player being a member of the given group or family (name and type determined by the individual player of course)

  2. Player houses could be placed on the character's Homeworld of choice (i.e. Earth, Vulcan, Andoria, etc.)

  3. When joining a new Fleet, it could read to say, "XXX Society/Institute contributes to the 1st Fleet" or "The Family of XXX contributes to the 1st Fleet" and so on.

The system would also be able to translate to any expansion factions such as the Romulans/Hirogen or Cardassians.

Anyway, what do yall think, or do yall have any additional ways to expand depth?
Nice thoughts. However, if they spend that much effort, soley for RP'ers, i promise you many people will quit. RP'ers are a small minority of people who play most MMO's. Wouldnt dev time be better spent on, well i dunno, content most people will see/use?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithToker
Nice thoughts. However, if they spend that much effort, soley for RP'ers, i promise you many people will quit. RP'ers are a small minority of people who play most MMO's. Wouldnt dev time be better spent on, well i dunno, content most people will see/use?
A fair point, but I also think that it's fair to say that all of us enjoy a varying amount of roleplay, be it small or significant (I mean really we play a Star Trek MMO here :p). Towards that end, these changes would provide a bit of further personalization for each and every player if they chose to take advantage of it, and if not then there is nothing about it that would hamper their enjoyment of the game.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 AM.