Lt. Commander
# 1 Crazy thought
03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm sleep deprived and in pain. I apologize in advance. Anywho, sitting here I came up with a crazy idea that might make grouping a little more fun/interesting. How about giving the team leader the ability to assign objectives within a mission. Scan the asteroid? Send in the science officer. Defeat the Klingons? Where's my tactical. Need a raktajino? I just don't have the power.

I admit, this was mainly thought of for ground missions, which so far seem to be more fun than space missions when I'm with the full fleet. Why? Well, because we can use flanking and powers and other crazy tactics. Space seems to more easily devolve to a pew-pew fest. But, it might also make the space more interesting. Think about it, if Bob has to go scan the base, then suddenly everyone else is focused on protecting Bob and drawing fire away from him.

It might also lend itself to making ground missions more interesting, which was my original thought. Sciencey guys, go scan the alien plants, while the kids with the big phasers go hunt horta*.

Just a thought.

*I don't condone Horta hunting.
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Now that's just crazy talk! :p

But on a more serious note, it's a good set of ideas, though perhaps not to that depth or complexity (can you imagine those tools in the hands of an ADHD WoW withdrawing 12 year old? :shudders: )

Having a good marking and designation system would be a good first step. Who's tanking, who's healing, who's primary focus for target calling, primary target, secondary target. Basic raid stuff that most other more traditional MMO's have for those times when they expect groups to work as groups instead of randoms.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-19-2010, 09:53 AM
I recalled this crazy thought as I played with the fleet last night. Something like this would also be good on the "talky" missions. You know the ones: Go talk to Bob, then Steve, then Bob again. We had our resident Vulcan diplomat smooth talking, but me (the engineer) and our burly tactical guy had nothing to do. Would be nice if there was a secondary objective (i.e. scan all the anamolies or kill the native nerfs that are eating all of the spiceweed). That way we could split off into groups and all be active instead of sitting there while one person does all the talking.

As an aside, these could be optional missions. That way when you're soloing you don't have to bog down with them if you don't want to. Alternatively, if you want a few extra skill points, you can take the time to do them.