Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 51
04-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Guess I should post in here, heh. 40K is one of my three favorite universes ever, the other two being Star Trek and my own universe in my own games/writing. I've been playing since late 2002, back when we didn't have spiffy starter kits like Assault on Black Reach.

I've been playing Space Marines the whole time, doing my own Chapter, the Lords of Oblivion. My avatar is taken from a piece of art I commissioned a guy to do of Captain Tiburin, head of my Chapter's 3rd Company, which is my tabletop army. In recent years, I've branched out to do Chaos Space Marine and Eldar armies, though those are largely incomplete. Plus the built and partially painted Orks of two AoBR kits. I have a gallery of some of what I've painted at http://allerka.deviantart.com and extensive literary works hosted at the Bolter and Chainsword's Librarium, including background articles on both the Lords of Oblivion and my Shadow Acolytes Renegades, plus a published short story (with a second that'll get published as soon as I get around to writing the ending for it, heh) called Swords and Shadows (it's about my Renegades).

Unfortunately, where I live now (west Michigan), there's not much of a gaming scene, so I haven't gotten to play since last December. I'm hoping to try and get some sort of gaming club for 40K started at my school. I have enough terrain for two tables, and, having multiple armies (all told I have almost 20,000 points of models), I can easily hook people up if they're interested in playing but don't have the parts. I miss living in Florida, though. The game store was across the street from my apartment complex, and was some VERY stiff competition. I miss the tournament scene, and would love to get back into it, and maybe FINALLY earn a full-blown membership in the 40K Wrecking Crew, rather than just be a "friend of the club".

As for video games, loved Dawn of War (even if I couldn't actually get my Chapter's scheme in the army painter without hacking the texture files), loved DoW II (even if the army painter was somehow worse), haven't gotten Chaos Rising yet, I probably will after my semester ends. Also looking forward to the MMO, it's the only other MMO besides STO I have any intention of playing at this point. I tried applying for a position on the development team (as I'm trying to get into the video game industry) but didn't get picked for it, unfortunately. Guess the fact I'm not done with my bachelor's yet probably had an impact (I decided to do a stint in the Army first, so now I get to play catch-up with my education, heh). Ah, well. Would have been freaking awesome.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 52
04-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I am so excited.

Every time I think about it I need to change my pants.

It's just that exciting.
Meh just leave them off....you look funny with armor on top and nothing on the bottm!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 53
04-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I am so excited.

Every time I think about it I need to change my pants.

It's just that exciting.
I hope it's better than the Warhammer MMO. Straight Empire vs. Chaos is kinda dull.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 54
04-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
I hope it's better than the Warhammer MMO. Straight Empire vs. Chaos is kinda dull.
I am hoping for a scenario kinda like in Dark Crusade or Soul Storm where every faction is opposed to every other one. Perhaps with some 'safety' or 'neutral' zones.

And I really hope they an Imperial Guard faction.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 55
04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
I am hoping for a scenario kinda like in Dark Crusade or Soul Storm where every faction is opposed to every other one. Perhaps with some 'safety' or 'neutral' zones.

And I really hope they an Imperial Guard faction.
They've said all major factions from the table-top will be represented in some form or another in the game. I HIGHLY doubt they'll all be playable. From an RPG aspect, the Necrons and Tyranids in particular don't lend themselves too well to the individual player concept. They've also stated a desire to have epic battles, and one way to do that is squad-based gameplay. Pretty much along the same lines as here in STO, which has shown it can be done (if a bit crudely here). That could allow for different factions having different numbers of NPC helpers (e.g. a Space Marine player gets two Battle-Brothers to help him, while an Ork gets a half-dozen Boyz backing him up).

Also looking forward to Space Marine to tide me over in the meantime. Though I should probably actually get a PS-3 for that, heh...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 56
04-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
They've said all major factions from the table-top will be represented in some form or another in the game. I HIGHLY doubt they'll all be playable. From an RPG aspect, the Necrons and Tyranids in particular don't lend themselves too well to the individual player concept. They've also stated a desire to have epic battles, and one way to do that is squad-based gameplay. Pretty much along the same lines as here in STO, which has shown it can be done (if a bit crudely here). That could allow for different factions having different numbers of NPC helpers (e.g. a Space Marine player gets two Battle-Brothers to help him, while an Ork gets a half-dozen Boyz backing him up).

Also looking forward to Space Marine to tide me over in the meantime. Though I should probably actually get a PS-3 for that, heh...
Yeah, playable Necrons and Tyranids would definitely be wonky.

Some people keep asking for playable Borg* in STO, though, so there'd probably be demand.

*Not the liberated Borg us preorder lifers get, the assimilate-your-ass variety. No, playing an extension of a group consciousness without any personal volition doesn't make sense to me either.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 57
04-21-2010, 12:23 PM
STO will be my last MMO. I don't care what else comes out.

Playing Tyranids isn't that different from playing an Alien in Alien vs. Predator. Well, except the hive mind, so you have to play something commando-like, like a symbiont or a lictor.

But I have no idea how they would ever get the vastness of 40k in a computer game. The universe there is so friggin huge that humanity can bomb a planet with billions of their own into oblivion, just to get a chaos cult, because they can simply replace it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 58
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
That's a good point. I have a feeling they'll pull a Soulstorm and have every faction fighting over a single planet.

That was my one concern about the Dawn of War series - they never captured the vastness of the 40k universe.

But then again, each book was typically set on a single planet or in a single system, and the universe as a whole may never be able to be represented in a single game, so it may still work.

However, I think I'll personally be happy as long as I get to play an Ultramarine. That's all I want. Not too much to ask, is it?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 59
04-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
STO will be my last MMO. I don't care what else comes out.

Playing Tyranids isn't that different from playing an Alien in Alien vs. Predator. Well, except the hive mind, so you have to play something commando-like, like a symbiont or a lictor.

But I have no idea how they would ever get the vastness of 40k in a computer game. The universe there is so friggin huge that humanity can bomb a planet with billions of their own into oblivion, just to get a chaos cult, because they can simply replace it.
Not saying this how they would do it, but how i would run it would be thus:

Have a subsector (about 15-20 planets of varied environments maybe, few zones on each planet initially) that was enveloped or cut off by a Warp Storm of some sort re-appear. Naturally the Imperials (Guard, Space Marines, and Sisters) start moving in to secure the area and re-establish Imperial control. Chaos cults have in the meantime arisen on a few of the worlds and they start bringing in Chaos Armies. There are some kind of Eldar ruins in the system so that brings the Eldar in. And with new area accessible the Tau move in as well. And Orks...well do the Orks really ever need a reason to be there and Orkin' things up?

Then for the first big expansion, the Tyranids invade.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 60
04-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I miss the tabletop too, but I can never find anyone who will play with me. The moment I find a single other person I know who's even remotely interested in 40k, I will immediately march out to Something To Do and buy a Space Marine army, rulebooks, and paints right then and there.

But that'll never happen because nobody around here cares.
I've done that a few times. I'm sitting here looking at my 4th Space Marine army right now; I have also had Eldar twice and Tyranids once.

Some friend decides he wants to get back into the game and spends ages trying to get me to do the same; eventually I do so, then I start to get all excited about it, then my friend loses interest before I'm finished putting my army together. Happens every time.

I suppose I could save myself a lot of trouble and just keep one of these armies for next time (and there is always a next time); but by the time it comes around again I always have very different ideas about what I want to do.

End result being, I have spend quite a lot of money on 40K; but haven't actually played it in about 10 years.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 PM.