Lt. Commander
# 551
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diortem
(and curiosity, do you know what the 9800 is supposed to handle?)
Same, 105 C. Google is your friend: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...9800gt_us.html

Quote:
Even if his card should handle the temp, ...that is quite the jump between titles.
Remember that Nvidia GPUs also perform physics processing (PhysX), and STO takes advantage of this.

My main point is that your GPU running at 80 under load is NOT A PROBLEM and no reason for hysteria. On my old 8800 I hit the high 70s. I allow my fan to run on Auto, which ratchets up the fan speed as temps increase, which is what it's supposed to do. In this very thread people have said they manually set a lower fan speed because "they don't want to hurt the fan". This mindset of not allowing their hardware to perform baffles me.
Lt. Commander
# 552
04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Oh I didnt think I was having an issue with mine heat-wise. Im just talking about the attitude you get when you bring it up.... Rather then getting help you get "cant be the game, must be you" snobbish answers, and Im sure this guy is fedup.

Btw, thank you for the info. I've tried looking it up before, but NVidia wasn't supplying this info back then so easily. I didn't think they ever would.
Lt. Commander
# 553
04-21-2010, 10:30 AM
It might not be dust. It could be something else. There are a myriad of problems that can go wrong inside a computer as I'm sure you know. Be it a faulty sensor or a blown capacitor (smells terrible). His attitude isn't making getting any help from us any easier. Some of us (like me) have to deal with enough idiots in our regular IT jobs in RL. Since we don't get paid to help people here, we don't have to use the restraint we have to show when working with customers
Lt. Commander
# 554
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Just don't expect people to be grateful when you treat them like idiots....

...and right now, I STILL reccomend restraint since Cryptic cant keep up with the actual support.... so you are effectively the unintentional face the players having issues see.
Lt. Commander
# 555
04-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Like the rest of those complaining here about overheating? And then claiming everyone else is 'ignorant' when the community points the finger at their own PCs?

A fleet member also overheats while playing STO on a mid-grade PC. He overheats even worse while playing Global Agenda. It's his PC, and he knows it.

For all of those claiming it's STO, I haven't heard a single one come back and report temps in Furmark for specific tests.
Lt. Commander
# 556
04-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Quote:

...and right now, I STILL reccomend restraint since Cryptic cant keep up with the actual support.... so you are effectively the unintentional face the players having issues see.
I won't treat them as idiots if they act civil and don't act like idiots. I've helped several people on here with their issues and our correspondence was very civil. But if they start to give attitude then I'm going to give it back.

And as for idiots... here's one of my fav quotes.

Quote:
Rich Cook

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot- proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
Lt. Commander
# 557
04-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Like the rest of those complaining here about overheating? And then claiming everyone else is 'ignorant' when the community points the finger at their own PCs?

A fleet member also overheats while playing STO on a mid-grade PC. He overheats even worse while playing Global Agenda. It's his PC, and he knows it.

For all of those claiming it's STO, I haven't heard a single one come back and report temps in Furmark for specific tests.
Now you see? If he's hitting the same problems in other games, it becomes more reasonable to think it's the machine and not the game. However, I have yet to see this in one comment on this thread. Just you and others like you being snobs to people having problems playing the game.

Incidently, what I've mentioned (and Im not complaining about overheating. I dont think I ever got to that point) came from logs of Nvidia's monitoring software while playing. Kinda more accurate to see what the game is doing on the spot over a benchmark, if you ask me...
Lt. Commander
# 558
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Just you and others like you being snobs to people having problems playing the game.
Name calling now, huh?

Quote:
Incidently, what I've mentioned (and Im not complaining about overheating. I dont think I ever got to that point) came from logs of Nvidia's monitoring software while playing. Kinda more accurate to see what the game is doing on the spot over a benchmark, if you ask me...
I don't use a log for my own monitoring. I use EVGA Precision software to view it while gaming.

But none of those complaining ever came back with Furmark results. Furmark will let your GPU overheat if it's capable of overheating. It doesn't really matter that they don't overheat in other games since every engine is different. So those complaining either ran Furmark, realized it was their PC, and never came back here, or have never bothered troubleshooting with it (it's free) and just want a way to blame Cryptic for something. For those complaining, either put up the Furmark results or shut up.

That's not directed at you, Diortem, just others who've been complaining.
Lt. Commander
# 559
04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Im only calling by how I have and how I've seen others treated. No more no less. I don't believe in candy coating, so if I think you are being an ass to someone, I will say it.

That said, I also suspect another option... who says they trust said utility or it's source to be clean? In the end, you are just someone else on a forum at that point... and faith in people can be insanely thin.... and you are already saying this will let you overheat your card intentionally.

That and it doesn't matter how different the games are... if you are running the a few games that do not have issues, you have an idea with monitoring what heat to expect.
Lt. Commander
# 560
04-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
.... and you are already saying this will let you overheat your card intentionally.
Yes and no. Furmark will let your GPU, its firmware, and the drivers go full throttle in terms of processing. The graphics sub-system still controls thermal cut-offs, type/amount of processing, etc.
Closed Thread