Lt. Commander
# 121
04-17-2010, 07:45 AM
I have updated the Preparation and Tactics sections to reflect recent changes, as well as answer a few questions that I frequently answer in-game.

Specifically, I have added some more detail to Keybinds, and a new subsection for Disable Auto-Assist. I have also included a brief explanation of speed and Defense rating in the Survival subsection. Lastly, I have updated several comments throughout the guide, to be more descriptive.
Lt. Commander
# 122
04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd recommend adding (to the Keybinds section) info on binding your power presets to hotkeys. One of the Season One patches added it to the general keybinds menu, but they're all unbound by default. I use F9-F12 because they're in a nice clump of 4 keys on my keyboard that aren't defaulted to any critical functions (I can use the menus to adjust my UI placement if I really need to).

Keybinds. Because when someone shoots out your shields, you really don't want to be trying to click that tiny defense preset button.
Lt. Commander
# 123
04-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgecase View Post
I'd recommend adding (to the Keybinds section) info on binding your power presets to hotkeys. One of the Season One patches added it to the general keybinds menu, but they're all unbound by default. I use F9-F12 because they're in a nice clump of 4 keys on my keyboard that aren't defaulted to any critical functions (I can use the menus to adjust my UI placement if I really need to).

Keybinds. Because when someone shoots out your shields, you really don't want to be trying to click that tiny defense preset button.
The recommendation to bind power presets has always been in the guide, under the Keybinds subsection, since its first (unedited) posting.

Recently, I removed the explicit keybind console commands, now that the power presets have been added to the Key Binds game options menu.
Lt. Commander
# 124
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
The recommendation to bind power presets has always been in the guide, under the Keybinds subsection, since its first (unedited) posting.

Recently, I removed the explicit keybind console commands, now that the power presets have been added to the Key Binds game options menu.
Probably why I missed it, I was looking for the little breakout paragraph. Carry on, then! Nothing more to see here. :p
Lt. Commander
# 125
04-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Probably why I missed it, I was looking for the little breakout paragraph. Carry on, then! Nothing more to see here. :p
No worries.

I do elaborate on the need to modify power levels under the Power Level Presets subsection, in the Preparation section. Stay tuned in the near future for another slight change to the description of shield power, once the damage resistance scaling from Tribble gets pushed to Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 126
04-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Great Job Matt.
A couple of other things I've noticed

1. On if the sides are uneven I someimes try to get a 1 on 1 dual or 2 on 2...etc

2. Feds are usually outnumbered also because they are not 100% into the PVP as the Klingons. Often times they will be working on missions or in the middle of fights and either completely ignore and close the Que or miss it altogether. Feds...if your going to start a mission..please dont enter PVP...it makes it very difficult to win with 1 or 2 vs 5.
Lt. Commander
# 127
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I really wish there were 1 on 1 PvP maps corresponding to the dailies!

I wouldn't mind getting defeated by another opponent if I didn't have to deal with the backstabbing.

What is it with Klingons anyway, they always have to have a gimmick:

Carrier spam so it's hard to target the carrier,

Attack one ship with a pack of 6?

VM someone immediately before pouncing...

Always attack from the rear "Sparta!"

I don't know if these types of players would actually do the 1 on 1 because even though their ships are superior, they rely on these gimmicks too much.

It would be much easier to defeat these gimmicks 1 on 1 and I think it's more realistic to the Star trek shows and movies. (When surrounded by only 3 Klingons Kirk chose to trick them rather than attack.)
Lt. Commander
# 128
04-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldflow View Post
RCS console are worthless on cruisers as they are only a percentage buff to the base turn speed.

Cruisers have a low base turn therefore 20% extra is not a whole lot and generally not worth it.

Playing offensively as federation is impossible.

Baiting the enemy is a terrible idea. One subnucleonic beam and the bait ship is toast. Without evasive or any tanking abilities available 100 engines isn't enough to survive.
That leaves the only 'tactic' being the fed ball. Which is basically sitting around waiting to get humped.

Other than that mostly right.
20% might not be that much but consider most cruisers have multiple engineering con slots, and by stacking two 25% RCS consoles you now have 50% added turning, which complemented with skilling up specifically to the type of ship you fly can be quite substaintiall.
Lt. Commander
# 129
05-03-2010, 11:36 AM
As promised, I have updated the Power Level Presets subsection (of the Preparation section) to include the recent changes to shield power and engine power.

I have also updated the Survival and Support subsections (of the Tactics section) to include this and a little more detail on damage resistance.

Enjoy!
Lt. Commander
# 130
05-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Quote:

I use Z, X, C, and V for my four power levels, much easier to maneuver and switch preset levels that way with one hand.