Lt. Commander
# 21
04-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I read a some people saying that those who don't want the death penalty should keep the difficulty setting at normal so the the dealth penalty is is mostly on non factor. What about those who want to use the advanced &/or Elite difficulty without having to accept a death penalty only put in the game because some whiny vrtual sadomasicists love it when a game punishes them. This game is Star trek. The federation stood for freedom of choice & self determination. Where is our choice? If you pick the higer difficulty you have the death penealty. If you don't want the death penalty then you can't use the higher difficulty setting. Also, even if the death penalty is "practically" not there, it still is ther. It is FORCED on us. Again, no freedom of choice. Why should the majority be FORCED to play the game like the minority?
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dslice
I read a some people saying that those who don't want the death penalty should keep the difficulty setting at normal so the the dealth penalty is is mostly on non factor. What about those who want to use the advanced &/or Elite difficulty without having to accept a death penalty only put in the game because some whiny vrtual sadomasicists love it when a game punishes them. This game is Star trek. The federation stood for freedom of choice & self determination. Where is our choice? If you pick the higer difficulty you have the death penealty. If you don't want the death penalty then you can't use the higher difficulty setting. Also, even if the death penalty is "practically" not there, it still is ther. It is FORCED on us. Again, no freedom of choice. Why should the majority be FORCED to play the game like the minority?
Do you know what the Dp is even? Have you tested it at all its pretty much a non issue, You can rarely die in normal pve so whats the big deal.

The dp should have been in the game from the beggining so I glad they are fixing it.

If you die too much in normal settings then its time to adjust your playstyle because if you try advanced or elite you wont live.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTO
Do you know what the Dp is even? Have you tested it at all its pretty much a non issue, You can rarely die in normal pve so whats the big deal.

The dp should have been in the game from the beggining so I glad they are fixing it.

If you die too much in normal settings then its time to adjust your playstyle because if you try advanced or elite you wont live.
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear, I eas posting in a moment of anger over the death penalty. To answer your question, yes, I have tested it. The debate of weather the Death Penalty is needed or a good thing aside (That is a whole nother issue itself). The main topic of my post was why is the the death penalty tied into the difficulty slider? Those who don't want the death penalty will be forced to play only on normal setting to avoid it. That is discrimination against those against the death penalty. If one choses to avoid the death penalty, then normal difficulty is forced on them wether they want it or not. If one choose the higher difficulty, one has the death penalty forced on them. The death penalty & difficulty should be seperate options. I would like to play on the higher difficulty (I liked on the test server) but not play the silly "pay the repairman" minigame. It is possible that others feel the same as I do, & if so we should not be discriminated against. And for he record, you can't claim that the game needed a death penalty. It is clearly up to the individual user if a death penalty is a good thing or bad thing. I have read many debates for both sides of the argumanet. It is not a one sided deal. that is why I would like to see the death penalty optional & not tied into the difficulty. It would allow each individual user to tailor the game to his or her own tastes. That's called win/win. I am suggesting this only to try to make the game a enjoyable environment for all. Not just one side of an argument.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Well I hate to break it to you, but the "normal" penalty is so mild you wont even notice it. However, some people are still upset even about that, if you can believe it.
As you say, Normal is virtually no DP anyway. I have read many posts where thsoe against any sort of DP say, "where is my vote". Easy answer, 'You don't get one".

As for your OP, there is even a more simple answer....Play on "Normal"! And, stop mindlessly throwing yourself into combat witht he belief that you can just respawn and attack again, with no possible consequence.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodveard View Post
As you say, Normal is virtually no DP anyway. I have read many posts where thsoe against any sort of DP say, "where is my vote". Easy answer, 'You don't get one".

As for your OP, there is even a more simple answer....Play on "Normal"! And, stop mindlessly throwing yourself into combat witht he belief that you can just respawn and attack again, with no possible consequence.
I don't throw myself mindlessly into combat (though having the option was nice to blow off stress). In fact I do quite well for myself on Elite mode. However, I find the specific design of this DP irritating and its implementation clunky and graceless.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
I like what your offering Nagus it's a good idea and could work again I am all for optional and yes I been on the test server and tried it out . I mean Cryptic could even set to where if a goup leader wants the missions on hard it could be braod cast in the LFM channel that way peopel know the setting and can choose to join and have fun on advanced or hard . This was to be an optional feature not pushed on all players becuase a few can't seem to deal with how others play the game.
As far as pro DP people lets just agree to dissagree and leave it at that.
Every one gets a say, or we put ourselves in danger of loseing our most valued tenits.