Lt. Commander
Dear Cryptic,

Please believe me when I say that I am restraining the worst of my irritation, but fair warning aside, RANT INCOMING!

Immediately, as of next patch, move the Flagship mob away from the player spawn point in DSEs. Having a large, powerful mob camping the DSE spawn point is not only patently stupid, it shows an almost epic lack of sensitivity to your players or, at the very least, an epic miscalculation of what constitutes "fun" in a game. In either case, it must be fixed immediately, and I'd even go so far as to say that it calls into serious doubt the competence of your content development team, who apparently is stuck on formulaic conflict.

A word on that. It's getting tiresome. More than tiresome, really. It's a bore. Yes, seriously, a bore. It makes me want to go buy copies of Ace Combat for PlayStation or STAR TREK: Bridge Commander for PC and send it to your content developers so they can see what fun and DYNAMIC COMBAT is like. Then I'll send them a copy of Fallout 3, so they can see what sound TACTICAL GROUND COMBAT should look like. Specifically regarding the speed of combat, the use of cover, the elements of strategy and tactics that is practically nonexistent in ground missions in ST:O.

I'm going to give you more time, however. I am playing Champions Online, and I have to admit that it gives me great hope for the future of ST:O. It also disappoints me a little regarding character generation and map sizes in ST:O. Need to work on combining the two, because ST:O has certain elements that CO doesn't, and vice versa. ST:O's maps need a LOT of help, however. The scaling in CO is a lot better, though the random dungeons for ground missions are still a bit insipid; at least there are barracks and kitchens/dining rooms in areas that are supposed to be inhabited, unlike in ST:O, where scientists apparently don't eat or sleep.

Okay, I'm better now. I've ranted a little, and that made me feel better. Please, Cryptic. Move the Flagship mob AWAY from the DSE spawns as of next patch. It's not exactly a hard fix. It boggles me that this hasn't been done yet. Please get away from your formulaic combat system. It really is just boring as sin. And, in the name of all that is holy, do something about ground mission combat. It's absolutely the weakest aspect of the game, bar none.

I have a ton of ideas that you probably already have heard a dozen times in other threads, but if you want to hear them, you have my number and my email (obviously). I've decided no more helping you guys for free.

Thanks for putting up with my rant, but I've been jumped by the Flagship mob 8 times in a row now! It's really putting me off.

Cheers!
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2010, 04:06 AM
I second, thrid...fourth....and one thousand this! Of 10 DSE I have 8 where I get destroyed in the first few seconds because the enemy camps the spawn point.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2010, 07:50 AM
It is annoying enough when humans do this, not the AIs are doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Is the Enemy Flagship mob really that overpowering an issue? (Especially when there's no death penalty?)

I always thought the Flagship mob's placement was a comfort. Once you killed the requisite number of squadrons, you knew where to go to kill the Flagship--as opposed to tooling around the expansive DSE area looking for it.

I suppose moving it a little bit away from the spawn, but still in a predictable location, could be an easy compromise on that issue?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-21-2010, 10:29 AM
It's not so Overpowering now, but when they add the Death Penalty unless it doesn't apply to DSE's there will be a lot of angry folks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurataigiere
though the random dungeons for ground missions are still a bit insipid; at least there are barracks and kitchens/dining rooms in areas that are supposed to be inhabited, unlike in ST:O, where scientists apparently don't eat or sleep.
I never thought about this but you are totally right and now I want to see this done, too.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evhelm View Post
Is the Enemy Flagship mob really that overpowering an issue? (Especially when there's no death penalty?)

I always thought the Flagship mob's placement was a comfort. Once you killed the requisite number of squadrons, you knew where to go to kill the Flagship--as opposed to tooling around the expansive DSE area looking for it.

I suppose moving it a little bit away from the spawn, but still in a predictable location, could be an easy compromise on that issue?
First understand that this paticular mob is usually a level higher in difficulty

Next, when you warp in, they're right behind you....waiting...if someone else isnt already there going after them....your toast.

This mob is also consisting of one or two more ships than the usual mob in a DSE. And when the timer starts in between sessions, they are noticably harder to kill than when the session starts.

I've been saying this needs to change since launch. It's quite...oh whats the word........unsporting.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latsyrc
It's not so Overpowering now, but when they add the Death Penalty unless it doesn't apply to DSE's there will be a lot of angry folks.
Assuming that it doesnt change........yes quite angry..
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-22-2010, 02:32 AM
The DSEs do not really make sense at all: In most cases 2 things happen in you get unwilling into one
1. you get out at once
2. you get killed at once.

Some people who have slower internet or Computers are even death BEFORE anything appears at their display.

So whats the purpose? They should be changed that you can not be pulled into it unwilling. Or taken out of the game completly. Beside for the Quests they are completly useless and just annoying, nothing more.

In fact, the DSE-spawncamping is an issue since beta. And with a death penalty it will even get worse.

And I wish those who want do do Memory Alpha crafting before they are Commander a lot of luck getting there...