Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verhey View Post
as for the comment i hear about having to add a new shield top and bottom.. umm no... the shields all meet at the top and bottom... you already have people firing from directly above and below ships now... the same as if it went 90 or 360 degrees... nothing in that department would change, so no new shiields are needed.


why do people keep thinking and saying that?!?! i'm confused by it.
Actually if you remember in alot of episodes and even in Nemesis, Data rolls the Enterprise over cause their shields are failing and the ventral shields were still intact. Yes it is a bubble, but there is a Dorsal and Ventral Shields.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
04-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
True, but the ability to maneuver cleverly (the one good thing about all the space trash...) is different from the need to maneuver awkwardly and nonsensically because of the angling of a mission space.

Agreed, although I personally liked those missions.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
04-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verem
Actually if you remember in alot of episodes and even in Nemesis, Data rolls the Enterprise over cause their shields are failing and the ventral shields were still intact. Yes it is a bubble, but there is a Dorsal and Ventral Shields.

Once more, I present "Star Trek: Bridge Commander" as an example for this as well. Bridge Commander also featured 6 shield facings, which really do make more sense when you're moving through a full 3D environment.

I guess the most logical reason STO does "only" have 4 shield facings is simply because since we me move through a "2.5D" environment most battles occur either at equal or just slightly angled levels.
So my conclusion is that creating only 4 facings is sufficient for the way combat progresses at the moment - plus having 6 facings in a 2.5D environment would probably just add confusion for some players ( as it would place more importance on the ship's angle compared to it's opponent(s) ) and would not prove to be really helpful, since we can't maneuver the ship as freely as it would be required to take full advantage of top and bottom shields. Also, shifting shield power to an individual shield would be a bit more tricky to handle.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
04-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-Starfire
I guess the most logical reason STO does "only" have 4 shield facings is simply because since we me move through a "2.5D" environment most battles occur either at equal or just slightly angled levels.
So my conclusion is that creating only 4 facings is sufficient for the way combat progresses at the moment - plus having 6 facings in a 2.5D environment would probably just add confusion for some players ( as it would place more importance on the ship's angle compared to it's opponent(s) ) and would not prove to be really helpful, since we can't maneuver the ship as freely as it would be required to take full advantage of top and bottom shields. Also, shifting shield power to an individual shield would be a bit more tricky to handle.
Pretty much nails it for why 4 shields are best in the current design.

Though we still have the problem of being able to position for overflight and underflight broadsides that ships relying on narrow-arc weapons can't answer by facing into it like they can with a horizontal broadside. I think adjusting the firing arcs to either create an up/down dead zone or a major widening of the vertical arc for narrow weapons would both be too confusing. Maybe have fire coming from a relative angle sufficiently close to vertical get divided across all 4 shields or roll randomly for the shield it hits?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
04-23-2010, 04:33 AM
This is a bug forum, so lets treat it as such.

Bug: In the above mission, the player cannot angle his ship correctly to get to enemies, because the enemies are in awkward places given the maneuverability of his ship.

Fix: Put enemies in the same vertical plane as the player, or at least in a more accessable position.

Work-around: Annoying corkscrew maneuvres; going backwards then forwards; doing the whole mission in reverse, etc.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
04-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mise View Post
This is a bug forum, so lets treat it as such.

Bug: In the above mission, the player cannot angle his ship correctly to get to enemies, because the enemies are in awkward places given the maneuverability of his ship.

Fix: Put enemies in the same vertical plane as the player, or at least in a more accessable position.

Work-around: Annoying corkscrew maneuvres; going backwards then forwards; doing the whole mission in reverse, etc.

Once more, I'd like to point out that just because some people don't like a given design this does not automatically make it a bug.

An uncomfortable design, yes, which should be consiered for a small change to make the angle easier to maneuver.
But it is not a bug. A bug is, by definition, an errror that prohibits something from functioning as intended. However, those few missions with their steep angles do function as intended, so they are not bugged.

As for your work-arounds: I believe I already suggested that one can simply "aim" for a destination point on a relatively equal plane to his target, fly down to that point, level out the ship and then fly towards the desired target.


EDIT: following your statement that we are indeed in the "bug forum", my above stated explanation would therefore make this thread a "complaint & suggestion" as it does not report a bug, but merely states dissatisfaction with an element of the game and requests a change for said element.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 PM.