Lt. Commander
Advice plz-starting a new player...if you get to RA5 and you cant up your skills to 9 for the NEXT ship
you're gonna buy-so you can have max hull,speed ,etc.-then what good is the last section if you
can't max it out ?

Why is it even there if you can't put points in it?

Do I only put 4 level in all my slots first?...but you can't go further until you max them out to 9.

I'm so confused. Are we suppossed to rely on BO training from there-how does that make my ship stronger

Sry for this ol'guy trekkie needing help again.
.......................Mr.Scott wound have fixed what Kirk didnt
know he was gonna need.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-20-2010, 02:42 PM
The Dev's have stated in the past that its by design that you can't max out all of your skills under the skill cap, otherwise, all the RA5 characters will end up being the same... (There's this little concept known as 'specialization'...)
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2010, 07:35 AM
if you're talking about the ship pioleting skill only, i pretty sure you can raise that to 9, however that's gonna leave you with very little to put in other other skills. It's a choice of whether you specalize in one thing or be well rounded, i think
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The Dev's have stated in the past that its by design that you can't max out all of your skills under the skill cap, otherwise, all the RA5 characters will end up being the same... (There's this little concept known as 'specialization'...)
Well,they are already all the same -you can't open the next tier until you make the first one a 9....
are you saying you can make ALL slots on the skills board say..4 each ?

that's my confusion & that's what my question means -how do I get to put 'something ' in ALL slots? ...
and,will that make my ship tougher?
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockdawg View Post
Well,they are already all the same -you can't open the next tier until you make the first one a 9....
are you saying you can make ALL slots on the skills board say..4 each ?

that's my confusion & that's what my question means -how do I get to put 'something ' in ALL slots? ...
and,will that make my ship tougher?
Either I am confused and don't understand you right, or you confused something.

You don't have to skill a ship-skill to be able to fly next tier ship. You only need to rank up to the next tier to do so. You can, for example, fly a T5 ship with 0 points in the T3 ship and the T4 ship-skill (which many people do).

The skill-tree is NO tree. The skills are not dependant from any other skill. They are simply grouped for an easier overview.

The only thing you have to do is put a certain amount of skillpoints into the tree to unlock a higher tier. You can't, for example, save all skillpoints and put them in T5 skills, you have to put a minimum amount of points into lower tiers.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM
I guess I dont get none of it...I put all nine levels in one category to'open VMIII.' .now it shows all paid but the guy
assigned it says'cant use this level in this officer' or some crap like that. I got 3 BO'd that have 2 extra 'powers' that
are 'shadowed out' with the same message. So,I dont know what I paid training for if it says I cant use them.
Guess I gotta read a few more hours.
Are you saying you dont have to put each area at level 9 to continue?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockdawg View Post
Are you saying you dont have to put each area at level 9 to continue?
Correct, you don't have to fill it to 9. you can leave it empty or put whatever number of skillpoints in it, important is only that you have to spend a certain amount of total skillpoints into any skills to level up.

And skills have a rank. To use them you must have a ship capable of using a skill with such a rank. Look in your assignements tab, there you see what type of officers with what level of skills you can use.

And btw if you can only train skills you unlocked over your skill-tree to your officers if you are the right type of captain. If its a science skill only science captains can train them, and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
*sigh*

how did you make it to RA in the first place? Your choice of ship decides what 'working places' are available to your officers, cruisers have a lot of engineering 'working place' and only few others. There are fancy 'working places' which allow you to utilize the officer to their full power and some not so good ones. For example, on a cruiser, the tactical officers are severely limited.

You want those other powers? Grab another ship? Not the right thing? grab another? You didn't find one that offers all? Guess what? There is none. Only BoPs do have universal bridge officer slots, but the weakest shields and hulls to compensate.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I got to RA by just playing missions as they came ..and anytime I won points I just made ALL the first 4 skill blocks ALL level 9. It then said I could train for making it a 9-now it says It cant be used. hmmm..oh,well..
I'm learning with the help of you guys & reading forums I dont understand sometimes,,,lol
All my BO are Level 9 and I cant add no more anything ..

I'm just a 'olfart retired Army dude having fun.Ya'll have helped me alot-thanks !

Now I'm gonna make a new Engineer guy and put everything at 4..and see what happens..making everything a 9 didnt make my ship hull stronger-faster or any better as I noticed.

I still die pretty fast by them dang Klingons in PvP -I got 6K Cov.shields/7.5% shield reg./2 fancy hulls/
Tetyron: IX Beams-dual cannons-180cannon-turrent
X-Efficent engines. IXPhotons. VIII quantums+20 crit.(rear)-IX Poleron Beam
Consoles: +22 Beam weapons /+30 Tetryon weapons/+22 quantums/+22Cannons
25%stayalive bio/ 25%hull repair..and maybe a few I fergot...and I just having fun this is what I got as
a RA.
Much thanks to all who've helped me !