Lt. Commander
# 1 fire at will
04-03-2010, 05:01 AM
yes im having trouble finding out why i can use fire at will 1...but not 2 or 3....my officer is maxed out in these skills...i have 2 tactial stations...however i dont understand why one is a ensign station..all my officers are luiet..commanders and im a commander...anyway it keeps saying ..cannot use this rank of power in this station... anyway can some one help me with a suggestion on what can be done....thank you
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Bridge officer stations have ranks, just as bridge officers themselves do. This is how Cryptic has chosen to limit access to the more powerful BOff powers. Even if your bridge officers are all Commander rank, they will only be able to use the ranks of their abilities permitted by the station to which you assign them.

As you gank rank and unlock more powerful ships, you will find that one of the ways in which they are more powerful is their access to more and higher ranks of BOff stations.

Incidentally, Fire at Will is quite weak. Go with Beam Overload instead.
Lt. Commander
# 3 fire at will
04-03-2010, 03:04 PM
ok yeah i saw that....too bad though.....beam overload huh ...wont that hurt me a bit...i mean im useing all plasma....if i do that it will shut m weapons out for a while.....i have 2 plasma arrays in front.with a quantium tordpedo ...and 1 plasma array in back with quantium torpedo....i also have the 3 tactial slots with + 15 to plasma weapons....the only decent skill i have is attack pattern alpha 3.....i noticed that one of my tactial officers can use fire at will 1 2 3...but when i use one they all go off ...cooldown...sad..
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-22-2010, 05:04 AM
That seems a little unfair to be honest and illogical in terms of a story. Would Mr. Scott be any less Mr. Scott in a small shuttle than the Enterprise? I think things that are really skills should be keyed to rank/skills background and not to the equipment. Why even level up skills I cannot use until the next ship comes along?

Gotta be a better way....

my .02

Ken
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirok-and-Roll
That seems a little unfair to be honest and illogical in terms of a story. Would Mr. Scott be any less Mr. Scott in a small shuttle than the Enterprise? I think things that are really skills should be keyed to rank/skills background and not to the equipment. Why even level up skills I cannot use until the next ship comes along?
He wouldn't be less of a Mr. Scott, but he doesn't have the equipment to work with. It's kinda like asking that Worf has the same firepower in the Defiant as in a Runabout. It is not all about skill. It's about skill with the available equipment. No equipment, no use for the skill.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirok-and-Roll

Gotta be a better way....

my .02

Ken
well leveling up a skill you can't currently use but will use means that once you have a slot where the skill is available, you'll already have make rank in it with the short cooldown instead of having to earn more BO skill points. unless you're saving the skill point to use at that point then my thought is moot.

Another thing you could do is switch that officer out to a station where that ability is usable and try it out before you decide. That way if you want to replace the ability, you can before you spend points on the ability.