# 11
04-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Barbarella
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadjedi View Post
Still they were ok movies just i didn't get the same sense that i did from reading it.
That's probably because the AvP movies were a loose adaptation of various things from the book/comic mythos, and not intended as a direct translation.

I'm going to get flamed to high hell for this one, but honestly? The Godfather. The book was brilliantly paced, gave all the information you could ask for, and details that the first two movies didn't cover. If you've never read the book, then imagine the first movie and the flashback parts of Part Two - that's the book, right there. The characters are fleshed out more, there's stories within stories, and it's just an excellent read. The movies, however (which I saw after reading the book) were a let-down. Wonderfully acted, brilliantly directed, superbly filmed, but...they weren't The Godfather.

Also, I liked Part Three.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrano
Barbarella
hey, that movie rocked! ya know for what it was and all.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasherman View Post
That's probably because the AvP movies were a loose adaptation of various things from the book/comic mythos, and not intended as a direct translation.

I'm going to get flamed to high hell for this one, but honestly? The Godfather. The book was brilliantly paced, gave all the information you could ask for, and details that the first two movies didn't cover. If you've never read the book, then imagine the first movie and the flashback parts of Part Two - that's the book, right there. The characters are fleshed out more, there's stories within stories, and it's just an excellent read. The movies, however (which I saw after reading the book) were a let-down. Wonderfully acted, brilliantly directed, superbly filmed, but...they weren't The Godfather.

Also, I liked Part Three.
Actually I agree. I liked the movies but the original novel was a lot more expansive and a wonderfully paced potboiler.

Oh, and I made the mistake of reading the "authorized sequel' a couple years ago ("The Godfather Returns") ... bleah.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-24-2010, 03:44 AM
Oh, the Winegardner book? Do yourself a favour, and don't read the sequel to that, it's worse.

The Godfather Returns is an abomination of a book, which, for those who haven't read it, tries to tie Godfather 2 and 3 together. However, the author seems more concerned with pressing his Gary Stu upon the masses. A former face-breaker for the Corleones (one of the guys who roughs up the teen who attempted to **** Bonasera's daughter), he quickly rises in rank, whilst basically pointing out all the flaws in the Godfather books (Michael taking control of the family, etc) whilst being smarter than Michael, more street-savvy, and goes up against the Corleone family. Naturally, he escapes, and lives underground for a while, where he writes a book.

In the second sequel, he eventually gets killed, but his book gets discovered by Hollywood, and a movie director, wanting to turn it into a film, gives it to a poor Italian writer who isn't very good, and the "not very good" writer churns out some movies based on the Mobsters book, which tells the story of the Corleones. That whole sequence was, in my mind, the authors way of insulting Mario Puzo. Granted, Puzo wasn't the best storyteller in the world, but the Mobster books he wrote (including not just The Godfather, but Fools Die, the semi-sequel The Last Don, and Omerta) are very good reads which hold pride of place in my study.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-24-2010, 03:52 AM
Yet the first godfather film has one of the best openings of any film i have ever seen.

on topic. Watchman.

*insert 55 expletives describing it*

It was horrible.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-24-2010, 03:54 AM
I'm sorry, strange person with an oddly familiar name, I have no idea who you are. You look familiar, almost as if we used to spend several years communicating, but it can't be. That person vanished from the face of the Earth a week ago. :p
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-24-2010, 03:59 AM
I had my dad round then got sick.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-24-2010, 04:00 AM
A likely story...although, if it's that cold/bug that's going round, then yuck. I'm just getting over that. A horrible way to spend my holiday.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-24-2010, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Yet the first godfather film has one of the best openings of any film i have ever seen.

on topic. Watchman.

*insert 55 expletives describing it*

It was horrible.
Have you read the graphic novel? I am personally of the opinion that if they had used the real ending from the novel it would have TANKED. One of the few times a movie has altered the original story and I've been ok with it is Watchmen.