Lt. Commander
I don't know where one would make a suggestion or even if Cryptic takes or gives any credence to suggestions but I wish you/they would re-think the ship Bridge Officer ranks on ships... The number of Engineering, Tactical, or Science Officers able to man a station on the bridge should be, as it is, dictated by the class / configuration of vessel. However, the rank of the officer manning any given station should not have anything to do with the class of vessel and everything to do with the Rank of the commanding officer.

Should an Admiral choose to assume command of a Miranda class vessel, that vessels physical configuration should rightly restrict the number of bridge officers to one tactical, one science, and only one engineer however an Admiral would place his own staff in key station and should be able to command a Lt. Cmdr, Cmdr, or even Capt. in those billets. It just doesn't make sense that a Bridge Officer's Rank is dictated by the class of ship.

Am I way off base here?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-24-2010, 07:05 AM
I actually like this idea.

It would be nice if rank of BO slot was determined by the rank of the captain commanding it.

Would make it cool to see some of the lower tier ships come into play without giving them more BO slots that higher tier ships allow.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-24-2010, 07:46 AM
The first idea to make earlier ships viable that actually sounds interesting to me.
- Kitkun
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-24-2010, 08:07 AM
I agree with this completely!!!
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Signed, sounds like it could work.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-24-2010, 08:41 AM
Would work, except your equipment on said ship would still be limited to the rank and slots available on the ship as it is now. You could have a ton of BOs, but still, you aren't going to do much with a total of 3 weapon bays, and Mk II gear.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2010, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkana
Would work, except your equipment on said ship would still be limited to the rank and slots available on the ship as it is now. You could have a ton of BOs, but still, you aren't going to do much with a total of 3 weapon bays, and Mk II gear.
Darkana,

I don’t see that that would (or should) be the case... As an Admiral I should be able to assume command of say.. a Miranda class vessel and I should, appropriately so, be restricted to 2 forward weapon slots and 1 aft weapon slot along with just 1 Engineering, Science, and Tactical bridge station and the normal shield, deflector dish, and impulse engines slots. Further the Miranda class vessel would still only have a crew of 200, 2 device slots, a base turn rate of 11.4 degrees/sec and an impulse modifier of 0.20. These are the ‘physical’ limitations or specifications of that ship and rank should have no bearing on those characteristics. However, rank should influence what equipment and staff is used in those slots/ positions. As an Admiral I should be able to requisition Mark IX and Mark X equipment for those slots and man the bridge stations with my own staff of Cmdr’s , Capt, etc…

The proficiency of the staff and degree of equipment loaded in the ship should be a direct reflectiont of the rank and command staff of the officer taking command of the vessel

Not only would this allow lower tier ships a place in higher tier battles but I think if you really looked at the physical limits (spec's) of some of the lower tier ships… I think there could be a viable tactical advantage to using some lower tier classes especially in larger fleet operations… particularly should Cryptic introduce LARGE scale fleet PvP scenarios.

Now bear in mind I'm only using the Miranda class for an example because it is the lowest tier vessel... but apply the same train of thought to tier 2, 3, and 4 vessels and the tactical possibilities become a little more apparent.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_MJ
Darkana,

I don’t see that that would (or should) be the case... As an Admiral I should be able to assume command of say.. a Miranda class vessel and I should, appropriately so, be restricted to 2 forward weapon slots and 1 aft weapon slot along with just 1 Engineering, Science, and Tactical bridge station and the normal shield, deflector dish, and impulse engines slots. Further the Miranda class vessel would still only have a crew of 200, 2 device slots, a base turn rate of 11.4 degrees/sec and an impulse modifier of 0.20. These are the ‘physical’ limitations or specifications of that ship and rank should have no bearing on those characteristics. However, rank should influence what equipment and staff is used in those slots/ positions. As an Admiral I should be able to requisition Mark IX and Mark X equipment for those slots and man the bridge stations with my own staff of Cmdr’s , Capt, etc…

The proficiency of the staff and degree of equipment loaded in the ship should be a direct reflectiont of the rank and command staff of the officer taking command of the vessel

Not only would this allow lower tier ships a place in higher tier battles but I think if you really looked at the physical limits (spec's) of some of the lower tier ships… I think there could be a viable tactical advantage to using some lower tier classes especially in larger fleet operations… particularly should Cryptic introduce LARGE scale fleet PvP scenarios.

Now bear in mind I'm only using the Miranda class for an example because it is the lowest tier vessel... but apply the same train of thought to tier 2, 3, and 4 vessels and the tactical possibilities become a little more apparent.
I totally agree with you, how cool it would be!
In fact, there is no reason they COULDN'T do a lot more with lower teir ships. I had this loopy idea the other day that I think would work WONDERS for the game and the depth you can take it.

Let's use the example of the Miranda class. Imagine if you could invest points or some kind of monetary system (Badges, components, ect...) into UPGRADING your ship. Let's say your tired of the measly 3 weapon bays and want more, well invest a chunk of your time and money into earning these points and get a 4th! You would of course be able to upgrade only a limited amount of time, due to ship size and energy allocation. You could also do the same for BO stations, number of consoles, ect...

I mean how sweet it would be to fly a teir 1 or 2 ship well into the end of the game. The diversity and feeling of accomplishment would be great!!! You wouldn't be MORE powerful than a teir 5 ship at admiral level... but you would definately be comparible! Like those grizzled old battle hardened ships/captains that can still compete with the latests and greatest.

I think THAT would be sweet.
Tell me I'm wrong!
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
The equipment you use is not restricted by your ship type or your BO rank. If you noticed your BO can use the same Mk gear that you use even though they are not that rank.

You can put Mk X items on a Miranda ship if you are an RA. Cryptic may not increase your BO slots in space but you can retrofit the lesser-tiered ships with the highest Mk items you can use.