Lt. Commander
# 1 additional pc
04-25-2010, 11:19 PM
i wish to buy sto for my pc. i originally bought the disc for my son and he plays it on his laptop and i pay a monthly subscription for him. but now i too want to buy and play it.
do i use the same disc he has to install it on my desktop and then buy another key when i log in to account or do i have to buy another disc or buy it from steam with another email address etc?
thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2010, 12:12 AM
You need to obtain a new account key.

This does mean that you have to buy a new retail box, whether in a store or from one of the online suppliers.

It's the account key that is important. The software you can actually get for free off the website, but it's useless without the account key.

So far, the only place to get an account key is to buy a retail box.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-26-2010, 12:26 AM
You do not need to buy a retail box, you can purchase a digital download to get the key.

For example:

http://www.atari.com/games/startrek_online/pc-download

When you make the purchase you will get the key via email.

I had installed from a friend's hard copy when he gave me a trial code. When I decided to buy it I purchased a digital download and just updated my account with the provided key.

So, you've already got the disk for the install, and the digital purchase is just to get a new key for a play.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Technically, buying the digital download IS buying a retail box, as the sales sites all offer a download of the game client in addition to giving you your retail key.

If you have a physical disk from a previous purchase, though, you don't need to waste time downloading, just get the new retail key, activate it on the STO website under a NEW ACCOUNT (don't use the old account), and then just use the disk you already have to install the game. Log in with your new account and password.

I guess I wasn't clear.

-np
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-26-2010, 02:31 AM
Hang on, you need to spend 30 or what ever to buy a new game to play on a second machine?

Is this normal? When my laptop was working I had Eve on the main machine and the lap top!
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint100 View Post
Hang on, you need to spend 30 or what ever to buy a new game to play on a second machine?

Is this normal? When my laptop was working I had Eve on the main machine and the lap top!
No, if you are the one usingthe account on 2 machines, you use your login details when using the client. It is only a new account that will need a retail key.

I just wonder whther the friendship key (5 day trial) will allow a new user access to the subscription tools..
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJPowell
No, if you are the one usingthe account on 2 machines, you use your login details when using the client. It is only a new account that will need a retail key.

I just wonder whther the friendship key (5 day trial) will allow a new user access to the subscription tools..
Sorry just re-read the OP and see he wanted a brand new account. I need that second coffee!