Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramp4ge View Post
Just because she took a cloaked shuttle back in time doesn't mean she invented the cloaked shuttle and that anything at all would change when she went back in time.
Before Janeway went back in time, it took the Voyager crew 23 years to return to Earth.

When Janeway went back in time, it took the crew 7 years instead.

That is a changed timeline. Actions and events that were not influenced by the Voyager crew in the 16 years they were still traveling to Earth will now be altered by their presence.

So even though stating that Janeway returning to the past may not have changed things for the time line may have been true had she not been successful; however, she was successful and that altered the timeline similiarly to the events of the last Star Trek movie. Though the original time line is still there the other time line is evolving down its path differently.

The timeline that Janeway came from in the future with a cloaking device on a shuttle is an alternate reality than the one at the end of Voyager. Only time will tell which reality this Universe is in.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
according to the season finale of TNG, the federation had cloaking devices 23 years later
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by narial View Post
according to the season finale of TNG, the federation had cloaking devices 23 years later
TNG season finale was an alternate timeline created by Q.

I am not defending that the Federation should not have cloaking device. I am just pointing out that the season finales when the Federation did have cloaking devices were alternate-time lines. In the main timeline besides the exception of the Defiant and the illegal activities of some in the Federation the feds have not developed cloaking devices. This alternate-time lines that are mentioned in the end of the season finales are just that alternate-time lines in which the feds do have cloaking devices but from what I have watched and seen CBS stirs the Federation away from having a cloaking device besides in special situations like in DS9.

The devs have said the Federation would not receive cloaking devices that is why they nerfed MES because MES was a de facto cloaking device for the feds which was a lot better than the Klingon’s cloaking device because the feds before the nerf with MES could still have their shields up.

Until CBS lets Cryptic give the feds cloaking devices, we as players will not be allowed to have a cloaking device on a fed ship in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
When Janeway returned to the past and altered the past by getting the Voyager home sooner rather than later an alternate universe was created.

The universe Janeway created because she interfered with the past is not the universe that the Federation had a cloak in which she had come from.

--Doggie, I respectfully disagree I believe Admiral Janeway's future shuttle had a cloaking device

I would say the FEDs tore that shuttle apart for its technology and upgrades, a cloaking device would have been included, Star Fleet used these upgrades to counter the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
--Doggie, I respectfully disagree I believe Admiral Janeway's future shuttle had a cloaking device

I would say the FEDs tore that shuttle apart for its technology and upgrades, a cloaking device would have been included, Star Fleet used these upgrades to counter the Borg.
It is fine that you respectfully disagree until Cryptic settles what timeline we are on as they publish more of the path to 2409 we can debate it all day.

Admiral Janeway’s shuttle was destroyed by the Borg if I remember that ending correctly. She went in to the Borg hub and was captured by the Borg so she could infect them with a virus and cause a disruption in the Queen’s control over the Borg.

A Borg sphere then was sent not to destroy Voyager but to hide Voyager inside of the Sphere and then Voyager could pass through the transwarp network without being hindered by other Borgs.

So Starfleet did not get to tear apart the shuttle it was lost thus keeping the cloaking technology with the future Janeway and thus creating a branching-different timeline then the one Janeway came from since now Voyager returned to Earth early and the crew had an ability to change technological advancement with their bringing back the shielding and the weapons.

Plus the crew would now be able to cause changes in that area of space that in the time line Admiral Janeway came from they had not been able to do and so the events that would have triggered Starfleet developing a cloaking device may not unfold.

Don’t you just love time paradoxes?
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-26-2010, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post

i see your point and raise a counter point!!

seven refers to the adm janeway's shuttle as having "stealth technology" she never refers to it as a cloak.

in ST TNG the mercenary ship that picard infiltrates appeared to cloak, but was stealhed.

also, harry kim masks the delta flyers from borg sensors making it appear to cloak. it was a technique pioneered by seven's parents (same episode we meet her parents and seven is blackmailed into re joining the collective i believe)

then there is the treaty of algeron. just cause the romulan empire is in strife, doesnt mean the treaties cease. after all, the federation has morals. -- section 31 not included in the morality clause of the federation charter.

morality sucks. welcome to utopia.

i do agree they over nerfed mask energy signature.
it has worked against my klink.
for those feds who always get spotted, try speccing into it and having your aux power a bit higher.
it is opposed checks after all, same for passively detecting a cloak.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Personally, I think Cryptic would give out Cloaking devices if it was a bonus from a special mission unlocked when you did specific missions, or only available to the highest of RAs.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie
Before Janeway went back in time, it took the Voyager crew 23 years to return to Earth.

When Janeway went back in time, it took the crew 7 years instead.

That is a changed timeline. Actions and events that were not influenced by the Voyager crew in the 16 years they were still traveling to Earth will now be altered by their presence.

So even though stating that Janeway returning to the past may not have changed things for the time line may have been true had she not been successful; however, she was successful and that altered the timeline similiarly to the events of the last Star Trek movie. Though the original time line is still there the other time line is evolving down its path differently.

The timeline that Janeway came from in the future with a cloaking device on a shuttle is an alternate reality than the one at the end of Voyager. Only time will tell which reality this Universe is in.
yes the Voyager crew tore through that shuttle the Admiral specifically said to examine her shuttle and all of its systems for any edge against the Borg. Voyager should of brought back all that future technology to Star Fleet! In the words of DOC BROWN....You aren't thinking 4th dimensionally ! The old timeline ceases to exist and the new one evolves........the temporal shock wave would have protected the information on Voyager, because Voyager was the source of the timeline change and we know temporal vortex does not change history for the ships that were part of the event such as the shuttle and then the future information Voyager recovered. Temporal waves flow outward changing time around the event. Not within it.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave111
Uhmmm...... no.
I must agree with my esteemed colleague.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-26-2010, 07:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilhippo View Post
I must agree with my esteemed colleague.
ITT: we as feds don't need one