Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 91
04-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasherman View Post
7. If the Aliens are telepathic and want to start something, I could probably send them into a catatonic coma with some of the things I think about.
Careful. If the Japanese are to be believed, you'll just turn them on.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 92
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
It is always assumed that we are the shaft in the evolutionary spear. We might be the tip. We might be the V or independence day aliens that show up in a system seven hundred years from now looking for some action.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 93
04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euclid-Fugazi
It is always assumed that we are the shaft in the evolutionary spear. We might be the tip. We might be the V or independence day aliens that show up in a system seven hundred years from now looking for some action.
Stars come in two "flavors":

1st Generation: formed from the original Hydrogen and Helium from the Big Bang. No heavy elements (other than the tiniest amounts that might have been created in the Bang). They create heavy elements at the ends of their lifespans.

2nd Generation: include heavy elements formed by 1st Gen stars. They create even more at the ends of their lifespans.

The estimated age of Sol puts it among the first of the 2nd Gen stars that had enough of the heavy elements in its formation cloud to form planets as rich in metals as the Earth. So it's among the oldest of stars that could be home to a highly technological species.

Yes the numbers are all estimates, but it does indicate that we're probably pretty close to the tip of that "evolutionary spear".

We may be one of the most advanced species in the Universe.

Ew.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 94
04-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp_Hazzard
We may be one of the most advanced species in the Universe.

Ew.
The Universe should be ashamed of itself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 95
04-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
What?

also. why do people think resources when they think conquest? Freudian slip maybe?
To have a predator you must first have prey. That requires at least one additional step of evolution. The eventual victor in an evolutionary war between predator and prey does not matter, what matters is that predation itself sets up an accelerated rate of evolution.

As far as resource and conquest, I doubt very much that an interstellar species would come to earth to harvets resources to return to their homeworld. The living space itself could in fact be a valuable resource. Just as in most mass migrations in earth's history, the most valuable resource has always been a place to live.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 96
04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
To have a predator you must first have prey. That requires at least one additional step of evolution. The eventual victor in an evolutionary war between predator and prey does not matter, what matters is that predation itself sets up an accelerated rate of evolution.

As far as resource and conquest, I doubt very much that an interstellar species would come to earth to harvets resources to return to their homeworld. The living space itself could in fact be a valuable resource. Just as in most mass migrations in earth's history, the most valuable resource has always been a place to live.
Hey, in V they came here to harvest humans then return home....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 97
04-26-2010, 03:27 PM
In any rate i think it is prudent for humanity to stop dicking around and start making some advances in space traveling technology. Having just one planet with no more frontiers is very inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshign
I hereby nominate that the first contact mission be conducted by Commador 64 Zap Brannigan...that way we all know who to blame when the aliens flambe us.
Yup, Kiff.
uggghh.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 98
04-26-2010, 03:43 PM
hehe the comments after the article make me LOL
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 PM.