Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-20-2010, 06:29 AM
BTW, I'm not arguing for no fixes. I think THIS THREAD is an excellent suggestion. I also highly endorse bugging any typos or art errors you see. I just think the realistic thing is for these things to be worked into development rather than grinding development to a halt for it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-20-2010, 06:37 AM
I agree, Leviathan
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proxidro View Post
I don't think they care. The attitude I've seen has been "let's make it as nebulous as possible to avoid people exploiting imbalanced stuff".

19 04 10 19:18:35 <&Cryptic_Falkoren> That and knowing exact details generally only overtly benefits min/maxers
19 04 10 19:18:44 <&Cryptic_Falkoren> Casual players just accept stuff at face value and enjoy as is

Never mind the fact that keeping it nebulous doesn't REMOVE the imbalanced stuff, and without mass exploitation, they'll probably have no idea what to balance.

Most of that is a Cryptic design philosophy. Jack (Head of Cryptic) back in the day when he ran CoH said pretty much the same thing, "we wont give you real numbers, it only helps the min/maxers". Thats not an exact quote but the meaning and "flavor" are about the same. One of the 1st things the CoH players got after Jack and crew sold CoH to NCsoft was.....real numbers that players could see in real time when they planned their builds at any level. This allowed players to see exactly what affected what and whatnot.

I just think as a company policy, Cryptic does not want to give out real numbers.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-20-2010, 07:14 AM
Personally, I would enjoy seeing better descriptions simply so that I know my skills are actually doing something useful. I've been roleplaying my skill point allocation, putting skill points where I think best fits the character concepts. That doesn't make the skills fun. It just helps a little in fleshing out the character concept. And of course it allows me to improve in rank, but just plugging enough points into random skills will do that.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo-6
Most of that is a Cryptic design philosophy. Jack (Head of Cryptic) back in the day when he ran CoH said pretty much the same thing, "we wont give you real numbers, it only helps the min/maxers". Thats not an exact quote but the meaning and "flavor" are about the same. One of the 1st things the CoH players got after Jack and crew sold CoH to NCsoft was.....real numbers that players could see in real time when they planned their builds at any level. This allowed players to see exactly what affected what and whatnot.

I just think as a company policy, Cryptic does not want to give out real numbers.
Hm. Maybe. I think they should avoid fake numbers if that's the case.

I mean, the next MMO I'm looking forward to is DCU Online later this year and it seems to be built around a philosophy of NO VISIBLE NUMBERS. The trick to that is that the system has to feel intuitive enough that people don't feel underpowered and say, "I need to look at the numbers."

The Cryptic MMOs haven't accomplished that. On the whole, I think you'd need to have a game where specs are 95% cosmetic (ie. do I shoot flames out of my eyes or my elbows, how big do my weapons look) to get people to stop worrying about that 5% that minmaxers gnash and wail about in most MMOs. I think there is actually merit in the idea of everyone playing one class with a few special abilities though. You will lose some people that way but I think, particularly in a super-hero game, you have an audience used to things happening because the plot dictates it or because actions taken in the fight dictate it.

To do that with Trek, you'd need a more abstract system than what we have, probably closer to Decipher's card game, which had math, but was mainly plot driven with items representing abstract plot developments. That's really more the direction I would have taken STO, honestly, and kinda what I hope the Diplomacy System is like.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2...0042010010.jpg

anyone with better image editing skills care to try their hand at a better mockup? hehe
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5...0042619321.jpg

well, looks like they took my suggestion and implimented it on Tribble.. i'll take my money via paypal, Cryptic

(posting on brothers account)
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
This is what I do.

I hit P.
I click on each of my abilities.
I write down the 3 skills that each ability claims modifies it.
I then sort the skills to see which ones are most important (if one skill affects 4 abilities and another 3, that first one is more valuable)
I do all this again on ground.

They need to fix typos and wrong information if it exists in the Powers Window. I can only recall maybe 2 items where I thought to myself, "Well there is missing or invalid information here". That drives me nuts.

What most people want is to click on the skill and see what abilities it can modify. Although this might be a nice feature, it isn't as necessary as people think and I would rather see new content from the responsible persons being generated rather than a new way to get the same info that is already available to us.