Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
They released it today cause its Cryptic and they would rather you PAY to test there crappy bugged patches. Get used to it if you have never played a Cryptic game before.
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opena
Well that is like deciding not to vote because you don't like the current political atmosphere. Not very smart. I am not saying that to flame, I am just saying that hoping that some folks won't give up.
Yes, but it would be nice (some might even say "smart") if more weight was placed on feedback that was provided as a result of thorough testing over any "I don't have to test it because I know I won't like it" comments. And yet, anyone who followed the complaint threads on this topic can clearly see that isn't what happened.

Quote:
Combadge, dude you are going to give yourself an ulcer. All the posts I have seen from you are complaints. Which is your right, but man, if everything was that bad for me I would find something else to do (maybe new game) or take a break and come back.
You might want to look back further than any posts made since Cryptic did a 180 on their normal-mode decision. Yes, if you're just focused on this issue then you're going to see me complaining a lot because I have a lot of complaints when it comes to how these particular systems developed. If you want to see happier posts from me you'll need to search elsewhere on the forum.

All of this is besides the point. My complaint still stands and is certainly valid. Too many bugs which were pointed out repeatedly on Tribble still exist. The "gather sample" graphic is still broken and is still pointing towards 0,0,0 on space maps, even after we thoroughly tested this to the point where a developer thanked us for our diligence. The new "you are firing on this shield facing" indicator still has port and starboard confused despite our reports about this problem. I personally have not received back any of the existing expired items I had posted for sale on the exchange. Where are they?

I'm not sure what the point of all that testing actually was. I appreciate that Cryptic is trying to stick to a posted release schedule but when something needs fixing fix it before you release it to the live servers. Don't send broken systems to the Holodeck server, it's not a testing environment. This isn't rocket science.

They have a "known issues' section on their release notes that, frankly, isn't done justice. They know of a lot more patch-related issues than the handful that they listed, because we certainly took the time to test and report them. In some cases there are even dev comments indicating that the problem is being looked into, and yet the problem shows up anyway on the live servers. So where exactly is the breakdown in communication happening?
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loxanna
They released it today cause its Cryptic and they would rather you PAY to test there crappy bugged patches. Get used to it if you have never played a Cryptic game before.
To be fair, that's nothing unique to Cryptic. Every MMO has bugs that find their way onto the production servers even after extensive testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
You might want to look back further than any posts made since Cryptic did a 180 on their normal-mode decision.
Their decision to exclude the Injury System from normal mode was not a 180. It was making the system work how it was originally said it would work. Trying to make the system compulsory instead of optional was the 180.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
I experienced similar disappointment regarding the lack of action regarding the Klingon Exploration content that went live a couple of weeks ago.
Feedback was given on Tribble regarding problems and bugs.
It still went Live with the issues.
Subsequently i stopped playing on Tribble.

2/3 Weeks later a new patch and no mention of fixing the Klingon tricorder issue or problems with space scanning.
No mention of bug fixes in exploration content.

Whats the point of Testing content if they don't act upon the feedback?
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
They have a "known issues' section on their release notes that, frankly, isn't done justice. They know of a lot more patch-related issues than the handful that they listed, because we certainly took the time to test and report them. In some cases there are even dev comments indicating that the problem is being looked into, and yet the problem shows up anyway on the live servers. So where exactly is the breakdown in communication happening?
I guess I can see what you are saying if you are a person who has never worked in software or for a company that creates software for thousands of users. If you do, your complaints (let's tone it down to issues) are still valid for you, but maybe you are missing the big picture on how software revisions and updates/bug fixes work. It has to be especially hard for them to get to everything when they put out code on a server to test. Think about it. They programmed certain changes and bug fixes according to a fixed schedule, release it to tribble, and because hundreds of people are now testing it, more issues or bugs were found. So now the programmers have to dive into those and have to take care of the ones that would be termed "show stoppers" first. This may leave out bugs/issues/enhancements that would have otherwise been included. The devs do not run what is to be fixed/added, that would be the business unit and that adds a whole new layer to what they have to do. And the business side wants to keep on some sort of schedule to keep us happy (at least most of us).

Like it or not, they need to make money, and that means someone has to make decisions on what is fixed or pushed out. I know, I am under the same set of rules where I work and if we don't thread the line carefully, I would not have a job.

It is a good thing to raise these issues, I am sure they will eventually be addressed. I am going to keep logging to Ttribble when there are big releases and at least keep adding bugs and issues as I see them.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruslothran View Post
Things take time to adjust.

Unless you have a magic wand to wave around and fix if for them instantly.

Just relax... breath... try it out.. post a few bug reports.... and remember.. most MMO's have major issues 6 months after release.. sometimes longer.

We are not even at 6 months yet.
if i remember correctly in Everquest the damn boat was bugged for years before they finally did away with it and put a little gnome teleporter guy at each dock.

i also remember that EQ didnt really start getting truely good till about 3 years in. so im with you people just need to calm down and relax. its coming. 8P
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Personally I only go to the test server to check out changes before they come out. I do not test. I feel no obligation to, if I want a second job it will be one that I get paid to do.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Why are they releasing new content at all?
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Did you just paste a generic response you have filed away for "game issue complaints" that had almost nothing to do with what I actually wrote? Because it definitely looks like that.
No, this is a cut and paste..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo-6
once again for the 100th time, I dont need to test something I think sucks to confirm that I think it sucks in both form and function and principle to boot.
This issue goes back further than CO, as explained by a COH Dev back in the day about how the test server works (this was when Cryptic still ran CoH)......once something hits the test server (and open beta's) then what they are looking for are game breaking bugs and testing the server stress with all the new stuff being played and interacted with by many many more people than what takes place on the internal QA servers. Closed Beta's are where the main player suggested and Dev team changes occur. As bugs and issues are identified on the test (or open beta) server, they are logged, and get put in the system for a future build on the test server. Because of release schedules and such, bugs and issues in builds that have not made the test server (but that are somewhere in the pipeline, but are somewhere in the internal build or QA) will hit the test server at a later date. Meanwhile bugs and issues go live, and folks hammer back on the Devs.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo-6
No, this is a cut and paste..........
This issue goes back further than CO, as explained by a COH Dev back in the day about how the test server works (this was when Cryptic still ran CoH)......once something hits the test server (and open beta's) then what they are looking for are game breaking bugs and testing the server stress with all the new stuff being played and interacted with by many many more people than what takes place on the internal QA servers. Closed Beta's are where the main player suggested and Dev team changes occur. As bugs and issues are identified on the test (or open beta) server, they are logged, and get put in the system for a future build on the test server. Because of release schedules and such, bugs and issues in builds that have not made the test server (but that are somewhere in the pipeline, but are somewhere in the internal build or QA) will hit the test server at a later date. Meanwhile bugs and issues go live, and folks hammer back on the Devs.
Yeah sometimes it sucks being a developer. Your hands are tied by the program managers/business unit, but every one seems to lock photons onto you. I think that is even greater here because the devs do post and do seem to genuinely care what people want out of the game. And since they are accessible and post, they make easy targets.