Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
04-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
if i remember correctly in Everquest the damn boat was bugged for years before they finally did away with it and put a little gnome teleporter guy at each dock.

i also remember that EQ didnt really start getting truely good till about 3 years in. so im with you people just need to calm down and relax. its coming. 8P
Shall I post for you the awards EQ won in its first year? Or maybe some reviews? Or do you want to stop making this ridiculous comparison and making stuff up off the top of your head?
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
We did increase the drop rated with difficulty slider from the initial release. It is important to note that it is not always easy to predict a random system. The key changes we made was an increase in Skill Point bonus and Blue and Purple drops. This is how the reward bonus currently works with the Difficulty Slider:
  • The reward bonus only applies to defeating enemies. There is no bonus to the mission rewards.
  • Increased difficulty increases Skill Point and Bridge Officer Skill point drops.
  • Increased difficulty increases Green, Blue and Purple item drop rate. White item drop rates did not change.
  • Consumables (batteries, hypos) are not affected. No more, no less. Note the dropping of a consumable does not modify your chance to get an item. That is, just because a consumable drops, it does not mean you lost out on an item. Whether the consumable drop rate was 0% or 100%, it does not affect the item drop rate.

Below is the reward bonus:

Advanced:
Skill points: +25%
Bridge Officer Skill points: +25%
Green Items: 1.5 times increase in drop rate
Blue Items: 10 times increase in drop rate
Purple Items: 20 times increase in drop rate

Elite:
Skill points: +75%
Bridge Officer Skill points: +75%
Green Items: 3 times increase in drop rate
Blue Items: 20 times increase in drop rate
Purple Items: 30 times increase in drop rate

Note the drop rate multiplier modifies the normal drop rate. So if a purple has a 0.0001 chance to drop, a 30x multiplier is huge, but the chance is still 0.003.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGeko
We did increase the drop rated with difficulty slider from the initial release. It is important to note that it is not always easy to predict a random system. The key changed we made was an increase in Skill Point bonus and Blue and Purple drops. This is how the reward bonus works currently works with the Difficulty Slider:
  • The reward bonus only applies to the critters. There is no bonus to the mission rewards.
  • Increased difficulty increases Skill Point and Bridge Officer Skill point drops.
  • Increased difficulty increases Green, Blue and Purple item drop rate. White item drop rates did not change.
  • Consumables (batteries, hypos) are not affected. No more, no less. Note the dropping of a consumable does not modify your chance to get an item. That is, just because a consumable drops, it does not mean you lost
out on an item. Whether the consumable drop rate was 0% or 100%, it does not affect the item drop rate.

Advanced:

Elite:

Note the drop rate multiplier modifies the normal drop rate. So if a purple has a 0.0001 chance to drop, a 30x multiplier is huge, but the chance is still 0.003.
Awesome information, Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Yeah, but honestly. I'm still seeing flipping Mx9 green crud. I mean, for Godsake, Elite should be at MkX only. I mean c'mon, really? I've got a battleship sending a torp spread, and in the next second, a torp HY from the same facing side. Given the fact that they seem to be 100% crit rate, that's a pretty excessive amount of damage in 2 seconds (and honestly took me 8 passes on the second BB I faced).

And the reward? Not even a shield battery. Wow.

Honestly underwhelmed by the drops so far. At least in Elite. Maybe will try Advanced if it doesn't change in a day.
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Personally, I love the Elite setting, I played more this week on test server than live cause I wanted a challenge. Loot shouldnt be the only driving force for difficulty.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizman
Personally, I love the Elite setting, I played more this week on test server than live cause I wanted a challenge. Loot shouldnt be the only driving force for difficulty.
Yeah that was the main reason I got on tribble for the first time was to test the slider. I started at elite and actually just stayed there. I wanted to test the death penalty too, but in the several scenarios I played I didn't die... It was a hell of a lot more challenging and I had to really pay attention to what I was doing. Several times I had to hit "evasive" and get out, fix up, then charge back in. Great fun. On the ground, the battles were longer, I got knocked out a couple times but got my BO's to revive me. I am seriously thinking of re-rolling my main and using elite...
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
  • The reward bonus only applies to the critters. There is no bonus to the mission rewards.
  • Consumables (batteries, hypos) are not affected. No more, no less. Note the dropping of a consumable does not modify your chance to get an item. That is, just because a consumable drops, it does not mean you lost
out on an item. Whether the consumable drop rate was 0% or 100%, it does not affect the item drop rate.

Advanced:

Elite:

Thanks four outlining that for us.

As for Cryptic's testing, their Q/A department has always seemed non-existent (even though it's supposed to be there). I see very obvious bugs slip through them ALL the time. When is Cryptic going to get the Q/A it needs? The players are paying for this (both literally and symbolically).
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
We did increase the drop rated with difficulty slider from the initial release.
And we tested it again after you announced the change, and our reports basically amounted to "was a change made? I still can't see a difference". Because, like you said:

Quote:
Now, here's the problem, and the gist of the negative feedback that was provided on this point: if you're going to hit us with a very obvious money-sink death penalty and call it a balance counter to the improved chance of receiving nicer drops, then those improved chances of receiving nicer drops better be as noticeable as that potential money sink is. Otherwise your system is poorly balanced and you're essentially punishing players for choosing to fight more difficult opponents instead of snoozing through the game facing very easy ones (which is backwards logic if I've ever heard it).

Every complaint about money sink death penalties being tied into the harder difficulty levels is answered with "well you get better loot". If that's going to be line Cryptic continues to roll with then the improved drops better be abundantly clear. And there was a ton of nearly-unanimous feedback given on Tribble indicating it wasn't.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
Now, here's the problem, and the gist of the negative feedback that was provided on this point: if you're going to hit us with a very obvious money-sink death penalty and call it a balance counter to the improved chance of receiving nicer drops, then those improved chances of receiving nicer drops better be as noticeable as that potential money sink is. Otherwise your system is poorly balanced and you're essentially punishing players for choosing to fight more difficult opponents instead of snoozing through the game facing very easy ones (which is backwards logic if I've ever heard it).

Every complaint about money sink death penalties being tied into the harder difficulty levels is answered with "well you get better loot". If that's going to be line Cryptic continues to roll with then the improved drops better be abundantly clear. And there was a ton of nearly-unanimous feedback given on Tribble indicating it wasn't.
You cannot punish players for a feature that optional, if you dont like Advance/Elite then turn back to normal. If you think every drop should give a blue or epic, your setting yourself up for disappointment. I play Elite cause in my mind, that is how the game is suppose to be, the increase in drops is a perk, but without it, I would still play on Elite.

I played Tribble almost all week, no I didnt give feedback on the forums, but in bug reports I sure did a lot of reports. My primary reason, was for the challenge, not really for bug reports or feedback (I know its selfish). I dont know what you expect with Elite, but devaluing Blues/epics every other drop would ruin this game.

My point isnt meant to be argumentative, but to show you there is another perception at how this is viewed.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Quote:
::Insert Technical stuff::
Let me go "off-topic"!

Yay! Captain Gecko! Now, if my Saurian could look like your Saurian more in-game, I'd be very happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opena
Awesome information, Thanks!
Sorta On-topic : Read your posts and just thanking you for your insight. I know other people in your line of work have also posted in here, but it is nice to see a well-reasoned, informative post that is polite (not to say the others were not polite).

Just giving props and urging you to keep it up!