Lt. Commander
I'm not sure if anybody has noticed this, but the beam pistol damage from the ground Officer NPCs on Elite difficulty bypasses shields and hits for full effect on your health. I was just wondering if anybody knows if this is intended or a bug?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-01-2010, 04:30 PM
I've been noticing this on ALL three dificulty levels since the patch. However, I also noticed this BEFORE the patch, it seems NPC's with pistols have a tendency to ignore shields and hit the body directly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalshion View Post
I've been noticing this on ALL three dificulty levels since the patch. However, I also noticed this BEFORE the patch, it seems NPC's with pistols have a tendency to ignore shields and hit the body directly.
Hmm, well I wouldn't be able to speak of the other difficulty levels as I shot it right up to Elite once it came out, but if it does it on every level then I would think it's a bug.

That said, I can't say I noticed prior to the patch, probably because I never watched my health before the patch, but if it did then maybe it's intended?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivar View Post
I'm not sure if anybody has noticed this, but the beam pistol damage from the ground Officer NPCs on Elite difficulty bypasses shields and hits for full effect on your health. I was just wondering if anybody knows if this is intended or a bug?
I noticed this as well. There was a lone engineer standing in a room in a mission I was in (line of sight issues, I'm assuming, had caused him not to come with the rest of his group). I had my group hold position while I moved forward to engage and kill him. Every shot he did with his phaser pistol went straight to my health. No shield damage, just pure health damage. The damage itself was fairly noticeable since this was on an elite difficulty setting.

You should probably chance your subject title to "NPC pistol damage ignoring shields" (or something) so it attracts the proper attention. I'm not sure if the current title is going to attract a dev's eye.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
I noticed this as well. There was a lone engineer standing in a room in a mission I was in (line of sight issues, I'm assuming, had caused him not to come with the rest of his group). I had my group hold position while I moved forward to engage and kill him. Every shot he did with his phaser pistol went straight to my health. No shield damage, just pure health damage. The damage itself was fairly noticeable since this was on an elite difficulty setting.

You should probably chance your subject title to "NPC pistol damage ignoring shields" (or something) so it attracts the proper attention. I'm not sure if the current title is going to attract a dev's eye.
Good point, I can't change the title though, only a Dev can do that unfortunately :/

Oh well, hopefully the Devs take a quick glance and read it....
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Klingon Munition Officers seem like they can do godly dmg in a matter of seconds sometimes also. I had a group with 1 muni officer in it and the full auto sweep from that 1 klink killed my entire team before any other enemy got into range to fire on me. Very very annoying when that happens.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Adding a little more information to this. I have observed this problem mainly with phaser pistols. If you need specific examples of where to see it, try the starfleet medics and engineers on the mission "Shutdown".

Here's a standard, legitimate attack from the combat log taken during that mission.

"Your Personal Shields absorbs 33 (18) damage."
"Security Officer deals 2 (36) Phaser Damage to you with Phaser Rifle."

Everything looks normal there. The log shows that attack did 33 damage to my personal shield and would have done 18 damage to my health if it hadn't been applied to the shields. It also shows that 2 damage (bleedthrough) was done to my health, and that the total damage of the attack was 36. From this information we can extrapolate that I had 18/33 = 54% phaser damage resistance at that moment.

Looks normal. It shows the personal shield protecting and my resistances offering protection.

But here's another portion of the combat log from the same fight:

"Engineer deals 27 Phaser Damage to you with Phaser Pistol."
"Medic deals 16 Phaser Damage to you with Phaser Pistol."

Now what the heck is happening there? That is *while* I have *full* personal shields. And yet the damage is completely ignoring it. And I can see this clearly on my character portrait, represented by a full, unscathed shield bar and a rapidly diminishing health bar. Since no resistance to the attack is being reported is indirectly mentioned in the log either, I assume it's also being ignored.

Needless to say, when several starfleet medics and engineers are shooting at you with their phaser pistols, your health starts to drop rapidly. Shields sit pretty, though.

Please check into this and fix it.