Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 211
05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm not opposed to Cryptic marketing the game or finding creative ways to bolster subscriptions. However, getting 5 friends to subscribe is impossible for some people including myself.

As a fan of all canon ships, I'm very disappointed that you saved one of the coolest for this latest marketing strategy. You're basically asking us go out and sell STO door to door. Some of us have already done this with buddy keys. And some of us don't have friends who are into Star Trek or even computers. You locked us out by default.

Buying the Galaxy X-Class for 8000 Cryptic Points is more plausible than trying to get 5 subs. Please please, offer alternate methods of getting this ship.
Lt. Commander
# 212
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikamaru317 View Post
Let's try to cut down on the flaming guys. We don't need to look like rioters, and we don't need to get this thread shut down. This is a petition, not a riot thread.
You're right, so here I go...

/signed

Please open this ship up to us all as a T5 ship. It's one of many canon ships I was really hoping you'd all add and as much as I wish I could find 5 friends to buy this game, I can't get 5 friends who already did to come back. Just add it, if we're all lucky those who stopped playing will see all the cool things added and return as well.
Lt. Commander
# 213
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Hmm, i think the marketing guys from crypic actually did it with this reward. It seems they found a reward many people would love to have.So you can say what you want about it, but their marketing ideas seem to work
Lt. Commander
# 214 Whatever
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
<QR>

Another thread that is much ado about nothing, IMPO. "Regularly scheduled riot' - truer words were never typed on these forums, IMPO. Any time Cryptic or Atari tries to do some sort of promotion (you know, to get people interested in the game, which would mean more money for development and other things), somebody gets offended. Then it turns into a giant thread of wailing and teeth-gnashing.

One tier 5 ship with a special pew-pew. Meh. I like it as a promo for having people invite other people into the game. Whatever. Either recruit people or don't. I doubt this is the last time we'll see ships with special abilities, especially once we get into RA6+. Heck, it might even be the equivalent of the Connie if Tier 6 is ever created... a cool item that is eventually outgrown.

It's like the same argument as pre-order items, like Connies, Red Matter Reactors, Defense Turrets, etc. People who do special things get special things. Seems logical to me. Maybe I'm just dumbing it down too much. Maybe I've seen this in every MMO I've ever played. Maybe it's a way to get more players into the game, which would be beneficial for everyone. Maybe getting wrapped around the axle about one special item on a video game is a little to silly for me to personally do.

I kinda have to weep for any John Q. Public who goes through the forums before he decided to pick up the game. But on the other hand, I think anyone who's researched or played an MMO expects the forums to be filled with mostly drivel.

Yes, this very post included.

The sad part is, it's still better than some MMO forums.

That's my 2 ECs, and my only post for this thread.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelteel View Post
Hmm, i think the marketing guys from crypic actually did it with this reward. It seems they found a reward many people would love to have.So you can say what you want about it, but their marketing ideas seem to work
I have to agree.
Lt. Commander
# 215
05-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I know that dstahl passed this off as a riot post, and that was my fault for letting it turn into a riot by not posting that it was a petition in the op, but I've noticed that admist the flamers and Cryptic haters, several of the most respected forum members have spoken out against this issue. I hope that someone from Cryptic will take the time to see that if some of the most respected forum members don't like it, maybe it should be changed. Many others besides me are people that have supported this game from the start and have done everything we can to make sure the game is fair and that it improves.

They really need to see that giving this ship to an elite group of players before anyone else can obtain the T5 Galaxy is just asking for trouble. Not only is it unfair that regular joe's will be forced to watch this elite group show off their ships and taunt other players for not having it (if you don't think this will happen, go back and look into the blue name fiasco, in which a decent sized group of lifers began holding there blue titles over others heads, and began acting like they were better than everyone else), but they have made it almost impossible for the vast majority of players to obtain the ship to start with, since very few people have 5 friends they could recruit to the game that they haven't already recruited.

The devs need to seriously sit back, review this decision, and realize that they need to be fair about this. Yeah, it's nice that a dev is making this ship as a reward in his free time, and yes it's nice that they're giving rewards to players that rae able to recruit, but it is totally unfair to give it only to those players that can recruit.

Instead, it would be far more fair to make the ship the price of the points that players would normally get for recruiting 5 friends (400 c points x 5 = 2000 c points). Then, recruiters would still be able to get the ship for free, but others would have the oppurtunity to buy it as well.
Lt. Commander
# 216
05-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Forum Riot! (Riot!)

Quote:
Let's try to cut down on the flaming guys. We don't need to look like rioters, and we don't need to get this thread shut down. This is a petition, not a riot thread.
Aw, man.... *puts away the pallet of Molotov Snapples*
Lt. Commander
# 217
05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Before any more pitchforks get handed out... let me offer up some info before you go burning down the village.

The 3-Nacelle Future Enterprise config will be an exclusive variant of a T5 Galaxy ship we are planning to add to the game as we increase the skillcap at various points in the future. In fact I see plans on the schedule to add T5 versions of the Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant class.

So yes - the Future Enterprise - 3 Nacelle config is an exclusive "variant" and may be the only T5 Galaxy for a while, but there will be ways to get similar ships in the future - they just might not have the 3rd Nacelle - or front mount single phaser cannon.

you may now go back to your regularly scheduled riot...
well Dstahl, this type of promotion would have been nice to have in place BEFORE I already invited my gaming crew (thats been a crew since MW2 Netmech days) of 10 friends to play STO back in Feb. Of the 10, 3 plus myself are left as the others canceled their subs in dismay and utter disappointment in March and early April. So now in order to get a cool new T5 cruiser, I have to hijack 5 strangers and get them to sub for a month......yeah like thats going to happen.

"Come play this bug filled, repetitive game with practically zero end game things to do other than grind a few mission with 20 hour clocks and do STF's which on top of being probably the worst end game task forces I have ever experienced, they too are on 20 hour timers. Ok, thats not going to work....lets try this...."Come play a cool game with a vibrant PvP system".....oh wait....youve made the Que system even more borked than it was (if that was even possible, but you did it anyway) where new players now get the chance to wait an hour in order to be consistently on lopsided teams (ground) with no way to now get out of the match in order to get in one thats even.

Sigh I guess any 5 new players I could get to give STO a try could do what the rest of us do on a daily basis....file bug reports, that never get updated (or looked at from where I sit) or bug test on Tribble, where problems are identified and ignored until the bug hits the live server and the Dev team springs into action.

...../e shakes head

Whoever is running the marketing for this game...........is doing it wrong.

I rolled the dice on STO and got a LT sub, as the game sits right now I could not in good conciseness ask someone else to get into this game in the state it is in right now. If I asked my buddies to re-sub, I'd get laughed at. Sorry but thats how I see things.
Lt. Commander
# 218
05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
[
Quote:
Instead, it would be far more fair to make the ship the price of the points that players would normally get for recruiting 5 friends (400 c points x 5 = 2000 c points). Then, recruiters would still be able to get the ship for free, but others would have the oppurtunity to buy it as well.
I'm still vehemently opposed to selling off something mechanically unique and endgame-relevant. Once the other variants are in, if they have special gimmick powers, then maybe this would be something reasonable.
Lt. Commander
# 219
05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
[

I'm still vehemently opposed to selling off something mechanically unique and endgame-relevant. Once the other variants are in, if they have special gimmick powers, then maybe this would be something reasonable.
Generally speaking, I agree with you. I don't like the idea of making the super-cannon functional. How will it balace with the regular Tier 5 Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant? Will the Intrepid get Ablative Armor Plating Generators and the Defiant Cloaking? How will it balance with exitsting Tier 5 ships? Will a Sovereign suddenly become obsolete compared to a Galaxy, which is several years older?

It is not right to add an exclusive gameplay mechanic to a ship in end-game. This is a completely different matter from the pre-order bonuses, which were only effective during lower levels. This is a unique gameplay mechanic that only an elite group of players will recive, which is completely unfair, and will only breed jealousy, which totally undermines what makes Star Trek, Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 220
05-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Well... To be honest with everyone. My friends love star trek. Just dont like STO. My entire WoW guild either read the reviews or played Beta and the mixture of the 2 have caused 20 plus people to not want to play STO or play it again even if it were free.
Closed Thread