Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Because you said getting through the ltd-rank:

There you usually only care about damage-output. You want the missions be done quick and you hardly ever receive any substantial damage yourself that would need a healing skill.

For this purpose take Tractor Beam. It grants you the ability to keep this one shield you just broke down facing you and making kills faster (saves time bringing down other shieldsides).
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf359
Jam sensors seems pretty limited...
Science Team takes a back seat to STII
Tachyon? Not super helpful because science ships are so weak on weapons anyway.
Tractor Beam?
Hazard Emitters?

Thoughts?
whhhat? one of the best pve/pvp skills around, useful for both aspects of the game. Quicker pve mob kills(less damage to your ship) and gives you a few seconds to get away from that bop in the fray of combat.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roter_Panda
Because you said getting through the ltd-rank:

There you usually only care about damage-output. You want the missions be done quick and you hardly ever receive any substantial damage yourself that would need a healing skill.

For this purpose take Tractor Beam. It grants you the ability to keep this one shield you just broke down facing you and making kills faster (saves time bringing down other shieldsides).
we can agree to disagree. Going after three pve mobs is waay faster with jam sensors.

first reason--range (gotta be like 5km or so to tractor beam)
second reason--jam sensors lets you take on more ships for less damage

sidenote--scramble is even more fun in pve, watching seven enemies shoot each other whilst you line up to pick off each one is very fun
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevensev
we can agree to disagree. Going after three pve mobs is waay faster with jam sensors.
Unless you are playing on elevated difficulty, there is no need for Jam Sensors, since no three mobs should be able to kill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevensev
first reason--range (gotta be like 5km or so to tractor beam)
second reason--jam sensors lets you take on more ships for less damage
I don't see what either of these have to do with killing things "waay faster".
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
Unless you are playing on elevated difficulty, there is no need for Jam Sensors
If you want to be an "average" starship captain, why join starfleet in the first place?

Elite or go home! And if you try to reply to me, I will simply jam sensors. LA LA LA I'm not listening to subspace frequencies! LA LA LA!

Lt. Commander
# 16
05-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch246
Opinion?

Science Team I or Hazard Emitters I
I have been learning about the science skills as I go. It's only been by accident and trial and error that I've gotten what works pretty well for me.

I am not sure if you are talking about starting out or later as you progress.

Like others, I use multiple officers with different skills for different situations. A single skill won't address the needs of every situation.

Just the same, given the choice for the first slot, I would go with Hazard Emitters. The low tier is enough for a single plasma fire and the defensive BuFF comes in handy, especially when combined with EG TM I and Brace for Impact.

As for SCI I, this skill is better to put in place later on. It never really provides a whole lot of healing...generally 20% healing is what I have seen even with all modifiers and supporting consoles. It is far better to use this skill at LT CDR and higher (IMHO)

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind. First, you won't see any plasma action until late T2. Unless you just want the Hull BuFF, you can retrain for Hazard Emitters later. Also, you will want to have SCI TM at some point, prior to late T2 as well. You will face Plasma torpedoes from all Romulan ships and Sub Nucleonic Beams from War Birds. When you run into the Hirogen (Late T2, T3), they will also have SNB on all of their ships. SCI TM is the counter to these abilities. SCI team is a must have item. Depending on how you plan to use it, it is a must have...did I say that already?

As a Science Officer, I get to choose two T1 skills. As you might have guessed, I have different one's for different situations. But, for my standard PvE load out, One SCI runs Jam Sensors, the Other, Hazard Emitters, SCI TM II, Scramble Sensors II.

I went with Jam Sensors because I know that I will not always be able to avoid the front end of some very dangerous ships. That's when I get tagged with lots of nasty things at the same time. Jam Sensors gives me the time to get out of that firing arc. Nothing else does that for me.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaD
Not to derail the discussion, and to each their own, but I think levelling on any setting other than Normal is a very unwise and counter-productive decision. I sort of assumed most people would come to that conclusion without stating it.

I realize some may think about doing it "for the challenge", but consider that there are challenges waiting at RA5 (and more being added) and if you level on a hard ( = slow) setting, you are just delaying the time you will be able to do them. The rewards at RA5 are "keepers". The rewards you are earning while taking at least 2-3 times as long to level at Lietenant -> Captain are throwaways. Since the injury system is a cash-sink, you will also probably be broke when you arrive at RA5, if you try levelling on Advanced/Elite. Rather than spending time equipping your RA5, you will be trying to avoid getting one-shotted and two-shotted during all the grindy missions that are needed to level, and getting loot that won't pay for the injury/repair costs.

You are right, of course, but that sort of proves what I'm saying: if you have to worry about defenses and trying to stay alive, not only will you have to grind through much tougher mobs, which would take a lot longer in any case, but you will have to do it with fewer offensive tools, making the problem even worse.

Again, everyone is obviously entitled to play the game as they wish, but having levelled two toons to the cap already, and another one on the way, the last thing *I* would want to do is drag out the process and make it more tedious than it already is. I have enjoyed playing on Advanced at RA5, so far. But as a junior officer trying to get to the next grade, next rank and next ship? No thanks.
I have been leveling my latest toon on elite. I know the misisons are all kinda the same, so with out any challange it was just too damn boring. The loot isn't fantastic, but it is cool to see the odd blue item drop. I've had more then my share of green turrets and blue stuff drop, anough to pay for some new toys. Honestly I've leveled pretty much through lt cmdr and half way into cmdr on elite, and I havn't died in space the ground stuff is quite a bit harder... I think I will be better when I go back to my RA for some SF stuff, the challange has made me think more, I know now I'm 20 times better ground. (I'm looking forward to some borg swarms too test that) The first time round I laughed at the bo sci heal powers, now with a couple betazoid sci boffs with heals and expose rifles I think going back to the normal mode would be mind numbing.

I think so far I'm leveling faster on elite, it could just be in my head as I'm having more fun.

On the topic though... take the heals. None of the sci stuff helps that much offensive wise anyway. If you get in the habit of using haz emiters... teams... polarize hull which ever your flavour is early.... well you'll be a much better team player in PVP and sf missions later. A lot of people get the end game and complain about the "expoiting" pvp guys... or the insanly hard sf missions. You need to learn to play defense, even if it isn't as nessasry early there skills you NEED later.