Lt. Commander
# 41
05-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkElfa View Post
I disagree completely. By putting incredibly sought after items as a referral only ploy, you alienate a large percentage of the player base by putting the item out of their reach.
It's a carrot. On a stick. It's supposed to be just out of your reach. If you really want this item, you can go get it.

Your suggestion ruins the incentive of the referral program. For what? So you can get this ship? That's not the goal of the referral program.

Quote:
They're better off making it for sale in the C-Store and make the cash they can from there as well and avoid ****ing of the those who are loyal c-store spenders.
The C-Store will have other things in it. That people will pay money for. The more hype and more posts threads like this get ... the more likely Cryptic gets the message that this is the perfect carrot for the referral program. All you people want this ship so badly, you know how you can get it.
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
I think I've got a viable solution for Cryptic concerning how to make the Galaxy X functional and fair in-game.

Cryptic has stated before that they would have to make the big cannon functional if they made it but that seems unfair at first. This is how you do it.

First, The Galaxy X should be a tier 5 cruiser. Sell it in the C-Store for 1000 credits. Give it 4 rear slots and only 3 standard front slots with an auxiliary slot for 1 single beam array of any energy type. Place a special button for the use of that slot on the hud. When used, the big cannon would fire a blast similar to Beam Overload 3. The off-set would be a 2-fold. After using the big cannon, it sets all energy weapons on a 20 second cool down and places the use of the big cannon on a 2 minute cool down.

So after use, you would have only torpedoes for a 20 second count. The other off-set would be that you only have 3 standard forward slots since your trading up 1 for big cannon use only. As far as I can tell, the trade offs puts it on equal footing with other Tier 5 cruisers, adds something cool to the game and does so without adding an unfair advantage.

Thoughts?
I'm with you on all counts except the cooldown: halve that. Tricobalts only take a minute to cool down, and they're insta-kill buttons all the way up to a pretty close-level opponent (at least in PvE). And for PvPs and STFs, 20 seconds is a long time to go without active defenses.
Lt. Commander
# 43
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
For how much?

The plan is for 5 subscribers for at least one month. That equates to;

~$20 for game purchase (5 x $20 = $100) + ~15$ for a 1 month subscription (5 x $15 = $75) = ~$175

Why would they put this in the C-Store for $10 or $20?

Just curious about the thinking there...
Just as a math adjustment:

At $20 a piece, Atari isn't seeing any money off those sold boxed copies unless you buy them from the Atari store or consider retailers ordering more copies to replace them.

Someone who gets five successful referrals also gets 2000 Cryptic points, a $25 value.

So, in theory, it might be worth putting it up for $50 to calm people down, if it would work, because that amount wouldn't conflict too heavily with the existing model and would retain RAF as the preferred way to go given the other bonuses. But do you think a $50 C-Store option (4000 Cryptic Points) would make things better or worse?
Lt. Commander
# 44
05-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Sell it in the C-Store for 1000 credits.
If they're intending this to be an item obtained by bringing in at least $175 to $200 (5 game purchases + at least 5 1 month subs), why put in it the C-Store for $12?
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
. But do you think a $50 C-Store option (4000 Cryptic Points) would make things better or worse?
I recommend a social experiment. Make it cost 10,000 cryptic points. Make the referral path the easier path.

See how people react.

It'll be fun.
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
But do you think a $50 C-Store option (4000 Cryptic Points) would make things better or worse?
You could put it in the C-Store for 50 cents and you'd still have people complaining they have to buy it.
Lt. Commander
# 47
05-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
For how much?

The plan is for 5 subscribers for at least one month. That equates to;

~$20 for game purchase (5 x $20 = $100) + ~15$ for a 1 month subscription (5 x $15 = $75) = ~$175

Why would they put this in the C-Store for $10 or $20?

Just curious about the thinking there...
I can answer that. How many people do you really think Cryptic will get to be able to actually complete that magical 5 player sign up with 1 month played? Probably as many as will actually just buy 5 more copies of the game them selves and pay for a month of service for each just for the Galaxy X. I bet you no more than 20 - 30 people will actually pull it off, if that.

30 x 175 = $5250

No I can imagine that even at only 10 bucks a pop that they could sell between 2000 and 5000 at the C-store.

10 x 2000 = $20000
10 x 5000 = $50000

Even if they only sold 1000 copies, they would still end up with twice what they would make with it as referral only. Hell, sell 500 copies at 20 bucks and you do the same.

As for complainers, sure, there will always be those who thinks they should just get it all for free. I don't count those fanatics in my numbers. Cryptic wants money and I'm happy to give them some, but I can't get 5 other clowns to do the same and I'm not crazy enough to spend 175 bucks to do it myself.
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
... the more likely Cryptic gets the message that this is the perfect carrot for the referral program. All you people want this ship so badly, you know how you can get it.
Except that no matter how much we want it, we can't pull friends who want to play STO out of our collective asses if they don't exist.

There needs to be an alternative for those of us with Star Trek and MMO loving friends whom Cryptic has already alienated with an STO purchase.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
I can answer that. How many people do you really think Cryptic will get to be able to actually complete that magical 5 player sign up with 1 month played?
I have no idea how many, and neither do you or anyone else. You're guessing at how successful the program will be. You've not the slightest clue whether it will work or not.

Quote:
Probably as many as will actually just buy 5 more copies of the game them selves and pay for a month of service for each just for the Galaxy X. I bet you no more than 20 - 30 people will actually pull it off, if that.
What actual real data are you basing this on?

People who are able/want to buy 5 more copies of the game and 5 more monthly subs for a month just to get the ship is no difference in income for them than 1 person inviting 5 friends to do the same. It's still ~$175 to $200 of income vs. $12. That's simple math.

As for "only" 20 to 30 people buying those 5 copies etc., you're guessing.
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Except that no matter how much we want it, we can't pull friends who want to play STO out of our collective asses if they don't exist.
Then don't pull friends. Get strangers. Go to the local mall. Or gaming shop. Solicit. Go door to door. Run your own contest through your own website. Come up with a plan.

Cryptic just wants you to get them people. They don't have to be your close personal friends.