Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 391
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Talking with the systems designer who is working on the Galaxy - there is a goal to bring iconic ships to the end game - not just as geo variants - but with unique functionality. The Galaxy X is the first such ship he's working on but it is setting the tone for how the others will/may work. The trade-off may be that these ships will be restricted from customization. Take for example the Galaxy. One of the reason's we haven't implemented a Galaxy saucer separation yet is because the fx to do so will not work with all the different parts that players can customize on their ship. However if we restrict the geo customization - we could do cool features like that and make some of these end tier ship super unique. btw.. we are currently *not* working on a Galaxy saucer separation power - but we'd sure like to.
Lt. Commander
# 392
05-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Talking with the systems designer who is working on the Galaxy - there is a goal to bring iconic ships to the end game - not just as geo variants - but with unique functionality. The Galaxy X is the first such ship he's working on but it is setting the tone for how the others will/may work. The trade-off may be that these ships will be restricted from customization. Take for example the Galaxy. One of the reason's we haven't implemented a Galaxy saucer separation yet is because the fx to do so will not work with all the different parts that players can customize on their ship. However if we restrict the geo customization - we could do cool features like that and make some of these end tier ship super unique. btw.. we are currently *not* working on a Galaxy saucer separation power - but we'd sure like to.
That's all well and good, but restricting the Galaxy X to a handful of people who manage to achieve your costly requirement of 5 subbers is just plain mean-spirited.
You cannot expect us to be excited about that or any other related content if you're going to pull this.

I mean, what will a saucer sep feature cost us? Ten subscribers?
Lt. Commander
# 393
05-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
I have a quick question, since this is a major debate in this thread. Can you be a little more specific regarding the cannon? Will it shoot rainbows and puppies or will it destroy the space/time continuum? At least try to put the "purely cosmetic" vs. "gamebreaking and unbalanced" debate to rest. Also, since you mentioned the Defiant and Intrepid variants, are they going to be stuck in the stupid RAF or are they going to be given out a different way? Restricting it to those who still have 5 friends that weren't recruited or having people do an aggressive viral marketing campaign for you is bad form.
Lt. Commander
# 394
05-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable

Even Worse!
Lt. Commander
# 395
05-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Drake
I can honestly say finding one million dollars would be an easier task than finding 10 people I know who'd be interested in STO.
Lt. Commander
# 396
05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
So you're putting the testbed for these designs behind a wall of exclusivity?

*sigh*

Is that the story with the Steam droppable turret and the D2D damage-to-EPS device?
Lt. Commander
# 397
05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Quote:
First, THANKS for letting us know that we're getting tier 5 versions of the ships we've been fans of for years! Much appreciated!

Second, some differentiation in endgame ships is a good thing, and unique abilities among ships is very cool. Why some people assume dire unbalancing effects by the game designers while not in possession of the whole of the story is a puzzlement, and thanks for filling in those blanks for us. It may have ruined a surprise, but, whatever.

Lastly, I must say that I hope that there will be an alternate way to get the Galaxy X. If I were interested in that particular ship I'd be really bummed, since I've already introduced everyone I know who might be interested in STO to the game already. Imagine my inner child with his little face pressed against the toy store window on Christmas Eve. I know you people at Cryptic love kids and puppies, so I'm sure you won't let all these screaming inner-rug-rats down.

I've got to go now. There's... something in my eye. *Sniff*
Lt. Commander
# 398
05-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Mmmm page 40..... think Cryptic will get the hint anytime soon?
Lt. Commander
# 399
05-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Expendable
The Galaxy X was a specific ship created specifically for the Referral program. The goal with the other end game ships is that they would be unlockable by reaching the next tier level but the specifics of that are still be discussed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong
Can you be a little more specific regarding the cannon?
Here's what I know about it so far - The cannon is specific to this ship, and takes the place of a weapon's slot, but is not an item that can be removed and placed on another ship. It shows up as a captain's power on your weapon tray. The beam is intendend to be a very narrow front cylinder beam that can pass through objects and hit multiple targets if you are lined up properly (out to a set distance).

There are no details yet on recharge timers or how it impacts cooldowns of other powers/weapons.

I've also heard rumor that it may have a non-battle cloak - which means that it might be able to cloak - but only out of combat.

Once the designer is finished with the ship - I'll see if I can get the full details.

The ship will be available by the time that your referals hit their first 30 day billing cycle.

also...

Management is aware of this thread ...
Lt. Commander
# 400
05-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
The Galaxy X was a specific ship created specifically for the Referral program. The goal with the other end game ships is that they would be unlockable by reaching the next tier level but the specifics of that are still be discussed.
Given how many people desire this ship, you cannot in good consience say this is a good idea.
I'm sure it appears good financially, but in terms of goodwill to us, the players, you're shooting yourselves in the foot.
And as been pointed out, you're putting out your proof of concept ship under a veil of ultra-exclusivity.

This is a serious mistake.
Closed Thread