Lt. Commander
# 11
05-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasGideon
Do not expect your character(s) to be turned in to Catians, just because you tried to make them look like them and have picked similar racial traits in the Unknown Alien creator.
I can always ask... I expect to be told no, but every once in a while you hear yes.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Would love to see tails in general... its all that i need yet for my Na'vi character and -crew.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Bowman View Post
A request to developers.

Many people here have done approximations of Caitians using the alien template. I myself have two mods having grown up watching the cartoon series when it originally aired... yes I'm that old. Edoans from TAS would also be nice but terribly involved I am sure.

As such, we would like to keep our characters and change them to meet the physical and racial traits determined by the upcoming Caitian template. I would say there is considerable support for this in the membership, furry jokes aside, to do this. Should this be unworkable, then additions to make the cosmetic changes necessary to match the visual appearance to the new templates.

Your response to this would be greatly appreciated and show the folks here that you do see our requests and would at least consider same.

Thanks for your time,
Paul
Here's the thing. I've made a Cardassian using the alien character customization choice. If someday in the next 12 months they make Federation Cardassians a playable race ... I'm not going to ask them to let me transfer the Cardassian Alien to the Cardassian.

I will either keep the character I levelled.

Roll a new Cardassian.

Or buy 2 extra character slots and do both.

I see what you're saying. But I can't really support the request. It's a risk we all took when we made our custom aliens as canon races.

You move on or you deal.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Exactly. Otherwise everyone will want a change of an existing toon whenever a species becomes playable - or a free token for a race change. Many people made Romulans or Cardassians, and both are on the 'coming one day' list. So they all should get a free race change, and people that willingly accepted the punishment and started a canon race get nothing - again? Nope, no fair.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
I see what you're saying. But I can't really support the request. It's a risk we all took when we made our custom aliens as canon races.

You move on or you deal.
Guess so. Looks I'll be dumping the alien template characters and not using them again. Seeing as how I only have one spot left for a new BO, its just a case of having enough points to promote them to where their predecessors were.

"I like this forum, its exciting!"
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArievDhien
Exactly. Otherwise everyone will want a change of an existing toon whenever a species becomes playable - or a free token for a race change. Many people made Romulans or Cardassians, and both are on the 'coming one day' list. So they all should get a free race change, and people that willingly accepted the punishment and started a canon race get nothing - again? Nope, no fair.
Good point. What about a respec from 'Alien' to an established race? That would prevent migration and still keep the spirit of what I am saying. I could have Caitian conversions and Superchum could have Cardassian conversions but only from the Alien template. Being fans we made do with what was available and I am asking for consideration of an option. Like I said, I expect to be told no but every once in a while you ask and hear yes.

That might also prevent abuse of a respec. As far as it being punishment to those who chose a canon race, then it would have been better to have these additional races earlier on in the game not months later. By that line of thinking, I am being punished for wanting a race that wasn't available at the time?

And no, I don't think that many people here will be wanting to respec their non Alien template characters. Cryptic has done a good job in presenting the most common races for play, though the Pakleds still baffle me. I believe the idea has merit even if it would cost CP to do.

Paul
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-08-2010, 08:32 AM
That is the one 'race respec' idea I have always supported. People playing alien should be given a free respec token, and they can use it when a species becomes playable - in the current faction. Someone playing a... whatever, lets say Kazon in the KDF, can respec to a real Kazon in the KDF if that species is ever released; and a Fed alien can become... well, all that is available for Feds.

The token assigns the mandatory traits of the new species, and lets the player decide which of the 4 alien traits to keep or drop for them (within the limits given to the species, for example a Tellarite that was a telepathic alien before would auto-drop telepathy because its not available for newly created Tellarites and so on).

I can't say it enough - give species a meaning. Reward people for playing a canon race instead of a 1 meter 'tall' purple alien with all available horns, named 'C0M4ND3R L33T' of the USS R0FLC0PT3R. Make species unique and encourage people to pick them. The less aliens, the better, and a one time race change for the players trying to be a canon race would still reward the ones I do not attack with my rants against aliens.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-08-2010, 09:33 AM
To qoute Barbossa... "I believe we have an accord."

Now, the question is, will Cryptic listen?
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Quote:
To qoute Barbossa... "I believe we have an accord."

Now, the question is, will Cryptic listen?
I could see a single use race respec being a C-Store item. I could also see a one time class respec being a C-Store item as well.

I do not know of the software framework exists on Cryptic's end to make it work yet, but I'm sure they will at some point. Most major MMOs have this already for an extra fee.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
A request to developers.

Many people here have done approximations of Caitians using the alien template. I myself have two mods having grown up watching the cartoon series when it originally aired. [snipped]l
It wasn't just in the animated show:

A pic from ST:TVH

And just a handy resource, even if it only covers the TV shows and most recent movie:

Star Trek races.