Lt. Commander
# 101 Another Point
05-07-2010, 09:06 AM
That I am not sure if anyone has mentioned yet or not.

But perhaps one of the reasons why this has purportedly gone over board, is because Cryptic was decidedly silent on the issue. We seemingly raised our voices in unison... and Cryptic "supposedly being a developer who actively listens to their userbase" gave us no feedback.

Dstahl said "management is aware of this thread"... but thats it. We didn't get a "we're changing it" or "we're sticking with the plan", etc. Instead we got a "acknowledge receipt of message" (500 credits for whoever gets the reference).

I wrote a post on this subject in the past regarding different styles of developer interaction. Here is the link ::digs it out of the archives and dusts it off::

Two Kinds of Developer Relations.

Cryptic is cryptically somewhere "in the middle" and it isn't working out to their favor so much. Oh well, we gotta give them a break. Have a beer! (or Cosmo if you prefer).
Lt. Commander
# 102
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
i'd like to point out that while the forums are insanely active with rage, i tried bringing the referal program disuccsion in game, via both my factions on either side, talking in sol space dock, and qonos.... 95% of the people who replied asked #1 what's a galaxy-x, #2 we have a referal program? how does it work? and the other 5% said they didn't care either way...and 2 people that knew about it said they liked the idea and 1 person spent 3 post swear about how much of a bad idea it is...... so the results in game show a vastly different result then on the forums.. people either a) weren't overly aware of it b) didn't care either way or c) didn't care enough to voice their opinion... which just goes to show that the minority here is the forums, like all the reasonably logic people have been saying all along...
also i'd like to point out how far the game has come in 3 months, imagine how far it will be in another 3 months... give it 5 months and your friends will be begging for a referal from you, so it won't be very hard to get referals....

personally, i think the forums are just filled with people who would rather whine about the game then play
or, the few of us, who (like me ) can't play at a particular time do to w/e reason, and so instead we browse the forums ( though i find these people tend to be the logically reasonable people )
Lt. Commander
# 103
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
kerfluffle I.
I have just added a new word to my vocabulary. It is brilliant. Hard to find neologisms this good these days!
Lt. Commander
# 104
05-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
[color="Yellow"]But perhaps one of the reasons why this has purportedly gone over board, is because Cryptic was decidedly silent on the issue. We seemingly raised our voices in unison... and Cryptic "supposedly being a developer who actively listens to their userbase" gave us no feedback.

Dstahl said "management is aware of this thread"... but thats it. We didn't get a "we're changing it" or "we're sticking with the plan", etc. Instead we got a "acknowledge receipt of message" (500 credits for whoever gets the reference).
Not correct. Dstahl said the did talk to the Powers that Be on the issue and that the offer would not be changing. He hasn't been silent at all on it.

(Edit: I'll save you the trouble of looking for it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Well... if its any consolation... I've made a huge stink about the Galaxy X threads in internal meetings and have even talked directly to the the CEO John personally about it and for now it remains an exclusive reward for the challenging task of recruiting 5 friends.
Lt. Commander
# 105
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:

But perhaps one of the reasons why this has purportedly gone over board, is because Cryptic was decidedly silent on the issue. We seemingly raised our voices in unison... and Cryptic "supposedly being a developer who actively listens to their userbase" gave us no feedback.
That's not always going to get results. Sometimes things are going to take place in this game that entire groups of players do not like.
Lt. Commander
# 106
05-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZootCadillac
too far? Not at all.

A polished turd is a polished turd and people have a right to be upset about it.
If the people who polished that turd are upset by the critics then they did not polish hard enough.

acceptance brings mediocrity. Defiance brings change.
I'm going with Zoot on this one.

Angry customers aim that anger at whoever they have access to whether they are the right ones to be angry with or not. It isn't the customers fault if its aimed at the wrong person.

The Devs/Forum jockeys should, and in most cases do, know this.

I get the feeling that the devs that regularly interact with the forum community know quite well what the problems with the game are but imagine if every time someone got all flamey at them they said it's not my fault its (insert upper management name here) fault.

They would be right out of a job pretty quickly.

The true problem is they started listening to the players. No really. Of course they probably wouldn't have made this mistake if they had finished STO prior to release but since the game started bleeding subscriptions due to the lack of content they scrambled and unfortunately focused on what the players were asking for that they could just hammer out really quickly.

There is a difference between listening to the players and letting them hijack your development schedule.

I blame Cryptic/Atari for the initial state of the game. I blame the players for the "content" released since then that the bulk of which has been useless fluff with hardly any game-play content.
Lt. Commander
# 107
05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:

"What do you hear?"
Lt. Commander
# 108
05-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
My speculation is based on in game mechanics. And on in-game examples of other items of that nature.

Yours is based on what the thing did in a show.

Here's a great example. The Red Matter device. It was so powerful in the Abrams film it helped destroy Vulcan.

In this game?

Yeah ... it falls a tad short of that.
o_0

Mine is based on the statements of dstahl alone, that it will have a unique combat power. It doesn't matter how overpowered, underpowered, or sideways powered it is, as I have repeatedly explained. If the forward cannon turned out to be as powerful as demonstrated in the show, then I wouldn't be arguing that Cryptic was dishonest, I'd be arguing that they're insane.
Lt. Commander
# 109
05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Mine is based on the statements of dstahl alone, that it will have a unique combat power. It doesn't matter how overpowered, underpowered, or sideways powered it is, as I have repeatedly explained. If the forward cannon turned out to be as powerful as demonstrated in the show, then I wouldn't be arguing that Cryptic was dishonest, I'd be arguing that they're insane.
Unique combat power ONLY matters if it's good.

A unique piece of fecal matter is not anything anyone cares about.

When it turns out to be the handicap it is going to be ... all you're going to see is complaint threads. About how weak it is.

Because people want a big gun. And they're going to get a red matter device. My plasma shooting tactical console is utterly unique. It's also not anything I bother equipping after Lt levels because it's not powerful, and causes more trouble than it's worth.
Lt. Commander
# 110
05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
I have just added a new word to my vocabulary. It is brilliant. Hard to find neologisms this good these days!
make sure you don't spell it incorrectly then It's an old British colloquialism. kerfuffle

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-ker1.htm