Lt. Commander
# 1 Demo - First Impressions
05-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi Folks

I just downloaded the demonstration game for STO today. I completed the demo in about an hour or so and am left feeling puzzled. Is there any interaction areas with other players that occur in the game? Like a real social network similar to **** or LOTR. I'm very open to the space MMO concept, I'm just wondering if I'm perhaps not gleaning the full picture. I also noticed that missions I was exposed to involved a lot of 'click on this' and 'scan that' ...Do they get more involved as time goes on? Are there cooperative missions or will I always be doing missions 'solo'?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Is there any interaction areas with other players that occur in the game?

Yes, but like any modern MMO interaction is optional until end game.

I also noticed that missions I was exposed to involved a lot of 'click on this' and 'scan that' ...Do they get more involved as time goes on?

Not really, but then again that's typical for any MMO (i.e. either click on something or kill it).

Are there cooperative missions or will I always be doing missions 'solo'?

Yes there's cooperative missions. Fleet Actions and Special Task Forces. Also, all missions scale with the number of people in a group.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes, there are interaction areas. Earth space dock is the Bree/Stormwind/etc. for this game. Q'ronos is like the horde cities for Klingons. All the trade chat, fleet recruiting and Sulu jokes mainly happen there.

You can group up any time (after the intro/demo?)...there are deep space encounters that are open to anyone, people will come and go. Fleet missions are like raids....STF's are similar, though more like LotRO 6 mans IMO.

They should have had the demo include at least the first sector (Sirius, Vulcan, Orion) and Delta Voranus.
An hour demo is not going to sell much.
With the two areas mentioned, people would have gotten patrol missions, exploration missions and the Starbase 24 fleet action....pretty much a taste of everything except for PvP.

All I can say is I hope they expand the demo....even SWG's space station demo has way more than this, it sounds like.

Let them go up to Lt. 10, put a limit on credits, whatever, demo players need to see the main aspects and the social hubs.