Lt. Commander
# 1 Returning Player Question
05-07-2010, 09:14 AM
I played for about four days after launch, got to captain and realized I was bored to tears by the repetition of questing and lack of other content (exploration, etc). It's been just a few months now and, realizing the game was launched a bit prematurely, I have high hopes that significant improvements have been made. My question is, if I was to come back now what improvements would I notice? Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-07-2010, 09:23 AM
There haven't been any missions changes. The game still requires you to play through Episodes, Patrols, DSEs, and Exploration Missions. There have been changes like the Difficulty Slider, new Ship Skills to better affect combat, minor changes to some ships abilities, Respecs, Fleet Action limits, bug fixes, etc, but for the most part the game hasn't physically changed that much in only 3 months. If you didn't like going into a system and shooting Jem'Hadar before you're not going to find too much different now. You can check out the Engineering Reports section to see some of the things which have been changed, and some of the changes forthcoming.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPLegacy View Post
I played for about four days after launch, got to captain and realized I was bored to tears by the repetition of questing and lack of other content (exploration, etc). It's been just a few months now and, realizing the game was launched a bit prematurely, I have high hopes that significant improvements have been made. My question is, if I was to come back now what improvements would I notice? Thanks!
With the difficulty slider, the encounters are more entertaining with a chance to fail as well as a consequence with the injury system. But nothing else yet of note.

The big changes will br coming in July with season 2. The game may change a bit and possibly become more of an MMO at that point. But things may change or pushed back so it is a wait and see still.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-07-2010, 02:30 PM
All of the release notes are still online as well - and while it is easy to mention a few things here and there - going back through and seeing all the individual changes can also give you a good overview of what has been added since you last played.

They are all posted in the Release Notes subfolder.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPLegacy View Post
The game is still very much the same. A lot of bugs have been fixed, and a few new bugs have popped up with the latest patches.

There are some new features, which are mere band-aids for the larger problems. Some of which include a death penalty and a difficulty slider (to slow your progression). Otherwise, the core game mechanics are the same. Its still mostly mashing your space bar, or "F" button. So if you are looking for added gameplay that adds variety or depth... you won't find it. That stuff won't come until season 2 or 3... but even then we don't know how it will turn out.

Klingons have received exploration content (which really isn't impressive, since exploration is... not...fun), as well as fleet actions. Fleet actions have also been divided according to tiers... which has made them empty and no one plays them anymore.

There have also been some "Special Task Force" missions added, 3 if I'm not mistaken, which are "hard core end game raid content"... they are difficult, and have received mixed reactions.

All in all, there have not been any huge improvements to the game. It is still very much "premature" in my opinion (and I think others agree). Hope this sums things up for you.