Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
05-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
The impact that did have though is that Matt (working on Caitians) had to take a week to bring them up to speed and since Matt is doing the Caitians himself, they might be delayed unless he pulls some crazy Scotty maneuver on me.
Please inform Matt that some of us are looking forward to the Caitians. Not only because it will be another race to perhaps give a new perspective on the game, but the new animation set sounds intriguing. I am interested to see just what that means, and how it will affect their walk, or maybe it's just for the tail. I don't know.

In any case, Matt, before you go, kindly, give us our space kitties, if you please.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
05-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
Does Cryptic write this stuff for you?

Folks, it's rats jumping ship fast as they can. You can bank on it.
If what you say is true, banking on it would mean giving them money when nothing will become of it.
I don't think that is what you intended to argue as your point.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
05-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
Does Cryptic write this stuff for you?

Folks, it's rats jumping ship fast as they can. You can bank on it.
I did not do special FX for very long but I kept friends in the field for a while after I moved on. I never fell out of love for the work, I was not burned out, I had my reasons though, (like protecting my intellectual property as I caught myself giving away ideas for my own work more than once). Of those friends who stayed many moved to different production houses that were willing to entertain that friends latest passion, interest or dalliance.

Now if the whole dev team all gets up and leaves in the span of a few weeks we have reason to be concerned, a handful leaving this soon after launch is nothing to get worried about. In the movies such behavior is expected, an artist can come in work that one movie and when it's done can move off to the next project. That's how many of them like to work. Being that game creation and movie making are both at their cores artistic endeavors similar behaviors of the staff that produce the two should be expected.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
05-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
Turnover at this level is a bad sign. If STO were a success, veteran Devs wouldn't want to leave.

Talent generally looks to flee a sinking ship. A good example, when the NGE hit, ALL the good SWG Devs fled not only the game but SOE, including Raph Koster, all that were left were their interns and "gofers" who ironically are still running things there.
So you don't know much about the Silicon Valley (where Cryptic is located...) The Average length of employment here for all high tech positions is only 18 months. So this is by no means out of the ordinary here...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
05-09-2010, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
At least among programmers I've found thats simply not that case. To be blunt, most of us rank and file in the games industry aren't going to get rich doing it. Some people like working on a particular franchise because they are a fan of the source material, but I would say this is a very small minority. Most of us work on games because there is no other challenge like this out there. The unique set of requirements on each person on the team makes for a job that is pretty much always pushing you. The downside of having an industry built on this kind of thrill-seaking is that people sometimes just get bored. We, as a community, always like to be pushing some boundary, and sometimes that means leaving your comfort zone and heading out in a new direction. From having been around a lot of creative people in my younger days, I think the same goes for many other groups too. Sometimes you just have to shake things up :-) Losing a team member like Gozer is always hard, but every other person on the team understands the urge so we try to just be happy for them and all their new possibilities.
I agree with your point that it is often a symptom of people who are in creative circles(that covers quite a broad section of professions including mine) you either have OCD about what you do! lo, or you get bored, the creative part of you wont sit bored though...it seeks and yearns for that obsession to come back. Gnerally speaking for the person inlvolved it's a hugely posative thing..as they are seeking to grow and evolve and maximise thier experience in creativity. If the person leacing is missed..Thats a good thing, because they probably left before they became unhappy. I give credit to the person that knows when to move on to a new chalenge rather than give up and fel bleak.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
05-09-2010, 03:03 AM
It's nothing to worry about, really...

As the people above have stated time and time again; it's perfectly reasonable that the developer behind the majority of ongoing endgame content would leave the team three months after launch.

It happens all the time in the industry.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
05-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagon View Post
RP forum (Ten Forward) ------------->

Thanks.
<Sniff...sniff>
I smells me a TROLL!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
05-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
Turnover at this level is a bad sign. If STO were a success, veteran Devs wouldn't want to leave.

Talent generally looks to flee a sinking ship. A good example, when the NGE hit, ALL the good SWG Devs fled not only the game but SOE, including Raph Koster, all that were left were their interns and "gofers" who ironically are still running things there.
Koster was long gone by the time the NGE hit. He left the game before the CU and SOE as a whole not long after that.

Most of the Original Dev staff actually stayed well into the first year of the NGE and only started really peeling off when most went over the DCU Online in 2007 and 2008.

While the current staff is is much smaller the game is currently run by Hjal who has been with the game since 2003 and the main Devs are still Hanse and AdeptStrain who have both been there since 2003. It is true that SWG is now used as a starting place of new developers who work under the ones I mentioned above. However, the current SWG Dev Staff has been one of the most responsive ever and while they are not large they are still adding systems and content to the game nearly 7 years in.

Staff turnover is a fact of life in the gaming community, but it alone is not a barometer to a specific games health.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 PM.