Lt. Commander
# 1 Do I need more BOffs?
05-09-2010, 06:27 AM
So I am a Captain 4, and I have my four primary officers trained exactly how I want them and have all of them promoted to commander so I can make use of their ground skills.

Should I bother messing with the remaining officers? I have one extra tactical officer trained up for known heavy combat situations, but should I fool with the other three? I never use them for anything except extra storage. Should I invest skill points into them or hold onto the skill points for any future additional skills added to the game?

Background info:
Exploration Cruiser
My Captain is a Tactical Officer
Standard Away Team : One Tactical BOff, two Engineer BOffs, and one Science BOff.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Some people prefer to have seperate crews for their bridge and their away teams. Sometimes you may want to swap out a bridge officer to utilize different skills depending on the circumstances. It's all up to how you like to play.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-09-2010, 06:44 AM
I use my extras more for roleplay purposes than anything else. I have one that's designed as an Uhura-esque 'communication officer' because she frequently gets the dialogue box whenever my away team gets a communication from the ship. The others are there just to keep me from seeing the 'filler officers' on my bridge.

In theory, it should be possible to set up your officers so they excell against certain types of enemies. (i.e. having a Science officer with Hazard Emitters when you know you'll be up against plasma using foes) But I my more generalized officers seem to work well so far against most things I've hit so far.

I'm betting some PvPers have officers more specialized for that with another set thats better for PvE. But not my thing.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus-X-1
Some people prefer to have seperate crews for their bridge and their away teams. Sometimes you may want to swap out a bridge officer to utilize different skills depending on the circumstances. It's all up to how you like to play.
Well, I trained them in both the space and ground skill I wanted. I sell all of my unused devices and keep only tribbles in the bank. I used the extra funds to train my BOffs in the space and ground skills I desired. Other than filling seats on my bridge, my remaining BOffs do nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Well, I trained them in both the space and ground skill I wanted. I sell all of my unused devices and keep only tribbles in the bank. I used the extra funds to train my BOffs in the space and ground skills I desired. Other than filling seats on my bridge, my remaining BOffs do nothing.
Don't limit yourself to one set of abilities, the extra boffs let you have different setups, a defense/offense/support ability depending on who you seat. Extra eng and sci officers give you lots of flexibility.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Don't limit yourself to one set of abilities, the extra boffs let you have different setups, a defense/offense/support ability depending on who you seat. Extra eng and sci officers give you lots of flexibility.
This. My RA5 cruiser captain has 5 different engineering BOs she swaps out to vary between soloing and supportive emphases (and what flavor of each).
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
This is a facet of the game I have not played with much. I am going to give some thought to trying new abilities with different officers. I have something like 40,000 Boff points saved up. I have the same officers I have had since launch.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-09-2010, 08:16 AM
Different BOFFs for PvE and PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-09-2010, 09:00 AM
even once you hit the cap you still get BO points so even if you max out every BO you have then later decide to change an ability you should have no trouble getting new points or using old points you have saved up