Lt. Commander
Okay, it's been a topic forever here that Cryptic seems to be able to use any Star Trek character but is restricted from actor likenesses without paying individual actors.

This is why the canon characters we do have are grown up children, characters like Madred who already wore heavy makeup or people who have changed drastically in appearance like Harry Kim (now fat and sporting a moustache) or Donatra (I'll save you the spoiler).

I think it would be cool:

- To have Geordi revert to his mutated state from the episode "Identity Crisis but give him a uniform for modesty and have him go back to using his VISOR (a more iconic visual). It could actually make for an interesting backstory if he had to partially mutate himself back to that state to survive some kind of engineering malfunction aboard the Odyssey. It would help make him more visual and distinct in a game that goes beyond the standard TV show budget and should tend towards more dramatic visuals anyway. Plus, the makeup pattern is basically a more dramatic, glowing take on Tamarian makeup, which would be a cool addition.

- If a familiar character was brought back as a Kobali. This is a species that is made up of the dead, reanimated and genetically modified into a member of their species. Most retain no memories of their previous life but some do... and it would also be a way for someone from the DS9/TNG/VOY era to be relatively young and vital in the game. For example, maybe Bashir was killed in a medical survey to the nearest reaches of the Gamma Quadrant and brought back as a Kobali but his augmented DNA resulted in him retaining his personality and memories irreparably, forcing the Kobali to let him go.

- If Data stopped wearing his "skin" (perhaps in protest of the treatment of synthetic lifeforms, to remind people of his own synthetic status, to make a political statement) and simply took on a form roughly consistent with the glimpses we got of his metal frame underneath.

I wouldn't necessarily want to see these kinds of transformations become a schtick. But I wouldn't mind a handful to fast track a few familiar characters into the game as I'd rather have familiar characters turn up and the storylines be new than see us constantly experience things that we're told previous crews have experienced. New stories, old (if if mutated/changed) faces along for the ride with us.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Characters I want to see more of ...

Doctor Ree from Titan.

Christine Vale.

And most of all ... A time travel mission with Pike, Boyce and Number One.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
The Doctor from Voyager. With a Holo-toupee.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2010, 02:29 PM
The Federation is vast. I don't like when canon characters appear, because it seems unrealistic that we'd keep encountering them. I get tired of all the vessels named after previous officers - Kirk, McCoy, Phlox, etc. Weren't there *others* in Starfleet as well? Did everyone on the shows end up with a ship named after them?
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
The Federation is vast. I don't like when canon characters appear, because it seems unrealistic that we'd keep encountering them. I get tired of all the vessls named after previous officers - Kirk, McCoy, Phlox, etc. Weren't there *others* in Starfleet as well? Did everyone on the shows end up with a ship named after them?
My Star Cruiser is the U.S.S. Garrovick.

We do have the chance given to us to fill in holes that Cryptic leaves wide open. Would suck if they took all the good names away from us anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2010, 02:34 PM
I will say this though ... in my mind, it makes a lot more sense for us to have seen a U.S.S. Rachel Garrett long before we ever saw a U.S.S. Montgomery Scott in Starfleet. Simply because Garrett's sacrifice and heroism are pretty key. And she died long before Scott did due to the Captain America Suspended Animation gimmick they pulled to get Scotty into a TNG episode. The same applies to the U.S.S. McCoy imo as well.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Slug Janeway and Slug Paris!

I kinda agree with darkjedi on the ships too, if cryptic wants to do things like that have dialogue that mentions schools, monuments, libraries and the like, vary up what gets named after characters instead of just ships all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
Slug Janeway and Slug Paris!

I kinda agree with darkjedi on the ships too, if cryptic wants to do things like that have dialogue that mentions schools, monuments, libraries and the like, vary up what gets named after characters instead of just ships all the time.
I wonder if we'll ever see some novel or TV show that suggests their kids somehow went back and became the Gorn.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Honestly, none of them. I'm not so attached to the idea of having Captain Data or Ambassador Picard show up that I'd be willing to inflict a permenant change on their characters just to avoid likeness rights. If Cryptic/Atari could come to an agreement with the actors, I'd love to see them appear. But changing them as much as you have to just to say you have them in the game doesn't fit with me.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2010, 03:19 PM
It only makes sense to me that a few of them WOULD change. It's been 40 years. That's roughly 7 spinoffs worth of action since the last time we saw them. Like I say, I wouldn't want this applied to everyone but I also wouldn't object to two or three characters going through some drastic changes.