Lt. Commander
# 1 Nope, Not ever Again
05-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I have done the buy my game and pay to play before. Relying on others to keep their servers up!
Never again! Pay for a game and then pay monthly to play that game. There are way too many great games out there that that I can put on my Tera byte hard drive that gives all the fun I could ever want.
Corps that are demanding gamers to pay for the original development of the game and then pay monthly for playing the game and further developments of that game get rich while laughing at gaming suckers all the way to the bank. There has not been one game that has continued on as a pay as you play game and gotten better. All of the pay to play games have changed direction or added so much crap that players have just walked away. Massive amounts of updates and game additives do not come out every 3 months, so why are we asked to pay the price of a new game every three months. Yes $45 Us dollars every 3 months and an upfront $59 US dollars is just greed. Games used to be $29.99, then $39.99, then $49.99, and now $59.99. Basically a 30% increase every year for the last 3 years. The graphics in this game are no where near as good as EVE. or ever a stand alone off line game such as Dragon age.
Alt spc bar to fire one weapon and spc bar to fire another, run around a huge area just to find a place to upgrade your ship and even the tutorial does not say how to upgrade, you have to manually right click and select install, there is no auto install the best you have in your inventory for that ship.
The battles are good as they do last more than 5 seconds (major fault in EVE).

This product should be downloaded for free and only have a pay to play after the demo has been completed. If the player chooses to continue and like the game. Asking players to cough up $65 US dollars after a very short demo that does not even give enough time to decide if they really like the game has told this player its about the money. changes will be forthcoming, it will turn into another EVE with mostly PVP driven changes and not actual trading, mining or even reality. Someday, someone will actually create a real game where its about survival as it would be in this reality and not just another cheap imitation shoot em up among the stars game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Not sure what you're trying to get at. Are you simply disappointed that you have to buy the game to actually play it above and beyond what the demo offers?
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
So I take it you'll be playing Atlantica Online instead? Or Red Light District? Or Ether Saga?
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Not sure what you're trying to get at. Are you simply disappointed that you have to buy the game to actually play it above and beyond what the demo offers?
Pretty sure the OP is simply stating they prefer F2P games, like Ether Saga.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorgana
The battles are good as they do last more than 5 seconds (major fault in EVE).
Well...not all of them....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorgana
Someday, someone will actually create a real game where its about survival as it would be in this reality and not just another cheap imitation shoot em up among the stars game.
Yup the years go by but we are still waiting....
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2010, 12:12 PM
About $60 dollars up front for the game + 30 days and $15 per month after that is about the going rate for an MMO, actually. For a game with an ongoing development cycle -some- sort of continuing cash influx is required to actually -pay- people to work and that generally comes either from subscriptions, micro-transactions or both.

Your arguements regarding pay to play games, namely that not one of them has gotten better and that they have added so many things that players have gotten confused and left (?!) seems spurious and ill-concieved. Games like City of Heroes have been ongoing for over six (6) years now on a pay to play basis and have continually improved over that time. I won't deny that some have mired down over the years or had such major changes that they alienated their own player base (SWG, for instance) but STO is still quite young as MMOs go and the developers seem to be deeply invested in the game's continual improvement. IMO, that can only be a good thing.

However, since STO doesn't seem to be your cup of tea, I'll be sorry to see you leave so soon and wish you good luck in your future gaming endeavors.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
So I take it you'll be playing Atlantica Online instead? Or Red Light District? Or Ether Saga?
I tried Atlantica Online, and other F2P MMO's actually, at least for a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Pretty sure the OP is simply stating they prefer F2P games, like Ether Saga.
Yeah, perhaps so, for me, I don't know... the MMO's I do play, I play because of what they allow me to do in-game. Both City of Heroes/Villains and Champions Online allow me to play as a super-hero, and Star Trek Online allows me to play as a Starfleet Captain. If there were F2P MMO's out there that had those themes, I may check them out, but as it is, most F2P MMO's out there aren't my cup of tea even before I get into their class-system and gameplay mechanics.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
[font="Verdana"][color="Wheat"]I tried Atlantica Online, and other F2P MMO's actually, at least for a few hours.
I've tried a few F2P MMOs. So far haven't found one I really like yet. That has nothing to do with the game's mechanics or the F2P-ness of it. I just haven't found one to suit my tastes.

But yeah, reading the OP's post, I just get the sense that the OP wants to play an F2P. Atlantica Online popped into my mind because it's one that I still haven't uninstalled and still have the shortcut to on my desktop.

Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Well, you know what they say about "you get what you pay for"