Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
05-10-2010, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_IndigoFyre
There was something added to the skills window that will help alleviate some of the confusion.

When looking at your captain's skills window you will notice a drop down menu on the top right corner called "Highlight Contributions To:". Using this drop down menu you can select one of your powers, or one of your bridge officer's powers and it will show which skills will boost those powers.

There is a known issue though that there is no "none" option in the drop down menu so the only way to turn it off and show all of your skills is to uncheck the "Contributing to Selected Power" filter (which is located on the top left corner of the skills window).

Personally I think that is the coolest thing ever and makes knowing where to allocate skill points SO much easier.
While this tool is helpful, the skill descriptions themselves leave a lot to be desired. Also the following is needed as well:

- When hovering the mouse cursor over a skill, the powers that boost the skill need to be shown.
- When selecting a skill in the Powers window, the powers that boost the skill need to be shown; currently some do, some don't. Also, if Aux Power affects the skill this needs to be shown as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_IndigoFyre
There was something added to the skills window that will help alleviate some of the confusion.

When looking at your captain's skills window you will notice a drop down menu on the top right corner called "Highlight Contributions To:". Using this drop down menu you can select one of your powers, or one of your bridge officer's powers and it will show which skills will boost those powers.

There is a known issue though that there is no "none" option in the drop down menu so the only way to turn it off and show all of your skills is to uncheck the "Contributing to Selected Power" filter (which is located on the top left corner of the skills window).

Personally I think that is the coolest thing ever and makes knowing where to allocate skill points SO much easier.
I also appreciate the new feature, as it has cleared up a few mystery abilities. However, not every power I currently have available to my character seems to be listed there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
05-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels00 View Post
Thanks for the offer. If there is another welcome-back weekend I will definitely take you up on that. I think I may have come back too early. When the overall feel of the game post-tutorial turned out to be much the same, I couldn't be bothered continuing on. But I like the sound of the diplomacy system. I will certainly give that a good go, as long as I can find my way to missions that involve it.

So, yes, I was certainly impatient. But I may be representative of a certain proportion of Cryptic's potential customers. In WoW and other games, however, there was always something enticing me to keep going. "Ooh, I wonder what is across that bridge? I'd better level up so I can pass those guards and cross it. Ooh, I want that mount. I'd better get a good reputation with that faction." So far, STO doesn't seem to have anything like that to keep me motivated to keep at it. Of course, it may be that STO just isn't for a causal gamer like me, no matter how much I love Star Trek. I may just eventually have to accept that.
I think one of the problems is just the way Star Trek translates to a game. I am used to the ST I knew growing up. That is TOS and TNG. Both of those were very singular in nature. It was a single ship and crew exporing the universe. The stories mainly involved the one ship and crew and a single encounter per episode. I never got into Vouager or DS9, so the war thing is known, but a knew experiance.

So with the spirit of ST, the game sends you out on single missions like the TV shows. I like this, but it takes the game world and MMO feeeling out of the game. Sure you can group at anytime and the STF's are required grouping. But that doesn't change the design of the missions at all. They are all the same regardless of grouping.

I agree with your thoughts on Risa. If the game had actual systems for exploration and alternate quests as well as the missions. The game could have had a much different feeling. If you could just visit a system and land on a planet to explore. Then find random quests there that would separate from the main quests. You could actually feel like you are in a system and not just a TV show series that will be gone when you Finnish it.

There is no "World" to this game world. As you say in WoW, you can look across the bridge and see tha you would like to go there. But you know you have to have more experience to get there and it drives you. That doesn't exist in STO. I don't know if it ever will with this design. I am hoping that alternate advancement in diplomacy or exploration will bring a bit more of what is missing. We wi have to wait and see in July. Hope to see you then OP.

A bit of rambling from work, sorry......
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels00 View Post
Ah OK. But, you get my point. It seems like the things people do enjoy about STO (i.e., the combat) aren't really RPG elements. So why not remove the RPG aspect of the game? Just make it a ground and space combat game.
Because they are constantly adding to and expanding the game. Due to player feedback, there is a lot more being added for the Season 2 Update in late June/early July including

- The Federation Diplomatic Corps. (aka Diplomacy and First Contact missions in Star Cluster exploration misssions; and a way to level up using that path if players so desire it)

- More Starship Interiors - including mini-games that allow you to heal yourself, or repair ship damage. (They've also stated the intent to start having mission that do take place on your ship once they have more of the ship interior game tech working).

- [b]A PvE (Player vs Envioroment) story and set of player missions for the Klingons (Making them a fully developed faction); and a promise to continue to expand Klingon PvE content down the line as the game progresses.

and many other things, but for me (and others might feel differently) - these are the standout items in the upcoming Season 2 update.

Oh, and as for having waitied until season 2 to do the first 'Welcome Back Weekend' - personally, I think they will do another one soon after the Season 2 update is live. I like that they tried it here, as honestly, this and the start of te Referral Program were 'test runs; and hopfully after the Season 2 update hits and they do another one, they'll have caught bugs and situations you can only see once you expose something to the real world, thus hopefully both the Referral Program and any future 'Welcome Back Weekends' will run smoother and work better as far as the registartion and client download proccesses go.

Time will tell. Lastly, I do want to commend to OP for providing some actual feedback in a constructive manner. It did come across as a nerdrage post at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
05-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
I also appreciate the new feature, as it has cleared up a few mystery abilities. However, not every power I currently have available to my character seems to be listed there.
Bug / Feature / However you want to look at it: The skill list will only populate with your currently equipped powers. I haven't confirmed if this means your class powers have to be assigned to your tray (but I assume they would be), but I know it depends on which BOff you currently have equipped. As a result, this pull down list will change depending on if you are on the ground or in space. Related to this, kits in your inventory will not show as available skills, only your equipped one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
05-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant797 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
I also appreciate the new feature, as it has cleared up a few mystery abilities. However, not every power I currently have available to my character] seems to be listed there.
Bug / Feature / However you want to look at it: The skill list will only populate with your currently equipped powers. I haven't confirmed if this means your class powers have to be assigned to your tray (but I assume they would be), but I know it depends on which BOff you currently have equipped. As a result, this pull down list will change depending on if you are on the ground or in space. Related to this, kits in your inventory will not show as available skills, only your equipped one.
Again, I'm talking about abilities I'm currently using that aren't showing up on the list, regardless of whether I check the list in space or on the ground. Examples (for me anyway) include: Feedback Pulse and Reverse Shield Polarity. Oddly enough, something like "Ramming Speed" shows up on the list despite not actually having any skills attached to it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combadge
I also appreciate the new feature, as it has cleared up a few mystery abilities. However, not every power I currently have available to my character seems to be listed there.
I thought this was just me and I was missing something...I have the same issue. It would be nice if I could type the first few letters of the power I was looking for and have it jump down the list for me. The list is loooong, scrolling was rather painful. Still, it's a good addition to the game it just needs some more polish.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
05-10-2010, 03:10 PM
I also tried the Welcome back Weekend.. I tried my first free month when the game launched.. had some fun, not enough to make it worth a subscription.

However, I'll probably subscribe.. but only for month and then call it quits... the game is somewhat fun.. sufficiently so that 15 dollars for 1 month of entertainment is worthwhile.... but I just don't see the game having any longevity for me... most MMOs last 8-12 months for me, but I'll be done with this one after another month.

The space combat is the only reason it's worth the 15 dollars for me... but I'll get tired of it in a few weeks.. and that's that.

It's a decent game... but something about it doesn't hold me like other MMOs... if anything, it's more like how I treat my single player games.. play them for 1 month usually and move on... pretty much what I'll do with STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
05-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post

- The Federation Diplomatic Corps. (aka Diplomacy and First Contact missions in Star Cluster exploration misssions; and a way to level up using that path if players so desire it)

- More Starship Interiors - including mini-games that allow you to heal yourself, or repair ship damage. (They've also stated the intent to start having mission that do take place on your ship once they have more of the ship interior game tech working).
I like the sound of those things very much.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM.