Lt. Commander
# 1 Demo Experience
05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi all,

I just been through the Demo Experience and i must say nice job on some parts, but overall the game looks quite unpolished. I am not even sure where to begin. For one there is the graphics, then animations, sluggish controls and the size of coridoors is just amazing.

Crewmembers are hovering over beds and just acting totally schizophrenic....

Cryptic what the heck, just what have you done?

I mean. This seems like a beta, if at all. Then again maybe im the wrong target audience.

Simply i find many of the things not sensible at all. Sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas108
Hi all,

I just been through the Demo Experience and i must say nice job on some parts, but overall the game looks quite unpolished. I am not even sure where to begin. For one there is the graphics, then animations, sluggish controls and the size of coridoors is just amazing.

Crewmembers are hovering over beds and just acting totally schizophrenic....

Cryptic what the heck, just what have you done?

I mean. This seems like a beta, if at all. Then again maybe im the wrong target audience.

Simply i find many of the things not sensible at all. Sorry.
Apparently the audience is a bunch of hopeful a-holes like me who keep hoping it'll get better. The only reason I feel at all comfortable with this is that I can at least admit I'm a sucker.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-10-2010, 05:49 AM
I can't agree with the graphics opinion, sorry, but I know what you mean about the delayed actions, but only on the ground it seems.

I'll chuck out a grenade, and sometimes it'll knock people over before I see it go, or other times it just doesn't throw right away. More annoying is trying to roll out of the way of a plasma grenade. If you don't time it to perfection, the delay just gets you set on fire anyway.

The AI of the away team is a bit strange too. One of my science officers insists on running off into the crowd right where I intend to lob a frag. She does it in every battle.

But going back to the graphics, I think it's simply beautiful. Now I upgraded a few PC bits and I'm running it all on pretty much max, it's gorgeous.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2010, 05:56 AM
". Now I upgraded a few PC bits and I'm running it all on pretty much max, it's gorgeous"

yes

the beams and torpedos and space and planets and person maker - the art team/art is better than even the
negative critics fail to see- they "admit the art is good" -

it is great. it is the painterly meets the linear in color and light

i bet art guys like this game

and practical minded mmo'rs (focusing on loot and leveling and crap) have other concerns

the customization of toon thing could be episodes in their own right
(ie- aging disease- retro aging disease- throw a beard on the set up and you have the "bad" enterprise idea- etc- and these are old themes)

i suggested letting one or two of their art guy/gals write an episode or two -
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
nice job on some parts, but overall the game looks quite unpolished
This is a great description of STO overall.
If ya think the Demo looks that way, wait until you see the rest of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Personally I think now is potentially a good time to be joining the game, which probably adds to the point of view of those that said it was released to early.
Provided there are no delays, I should not be getting bored before the weekly episodes get released etc.

I can understand the resentment of those that joined back in February, but even though I'm seeing all the negative feedback all the time here on the forums, I'm struggling to be negatively objective. I guess I just like it, even though at first it came across as a bit of a mindless shooter, it's really picked up now since Commander.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
good to hear.

anyway yes graphic wise in space the game is beautifull. not top notch but certainly enough to say beautifull and good job as far the engine allows. dont need to have the newest thing right. but i am enstranged about the ground. thats pretty much missing standards that have existed for years in games design. no matter what i cannot accept that.

if they polished it, added some content, where it clearly lacks and fix some things with giving more attention to detail i see how i might join in on the pew pew. until then i be watching this perdiodicly as so far i dont really trust the company with having already a third installment on the way.

thanks everyone who responded.