Lt. Commander
# 1 unknown sectors
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
having just resubbed.

an idea struck me for space exploration. one thing that sto lacks is, hey whats around that corner?

you always know, space is entirely mapped out (at least the space you can travel) you know what enemies are there, what encounters, and what you can or cant do there.

there should be some 'unknown' sectors, reachable by going through possibly random wormholes or other phenomena that you might come across during your travel.

imagine going through a wormhole into somewhere unmapped and not knowing what lies in wait on the other side.
that being said tho alot of resources would need to be thrown into developing planets, because when you do go somewhere unknown, what would you do? beam down on a planet and walk around endlessly?

you need to be able to find stuff or people or civilizations etc and get some sort of reward for it. explore a strange new city and people.

anyway however you do it, the idea of an unknown sector could fit right into how you do your current shoebox sectors, and the sector could be randomly generated itself.

maybe you get attacked by 50 ships maybe not, maybe there is a way around them to some special reward.
Lt. Commander
# 2 idea
05-11-2010, 04:28 AM
i think the idea and would fully suport it
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-11-2010, 05:40 AM
I think that would be a great idea. I think the level of where you go have to be around the same level of what sector you were in, other wise you would have a LT going to a place a RA would go.