Lt. Commander
# 21
05-10-2010, 03:40 AM
good ideas. whats this game is missing is immersion factors. i dont know why cryptic cannot see that this too is money but also beauty at the same time as opposed to some of the other things they did.

so heres hope for some nice places to visit and maybe in the future even have something like housing(starship interiors) or so. but no c-store or i am gonna boykott this company.

but ohwait they already have a c-store. they did not learn from the previous game
and now they are already developing a third i learned here on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-10-2010, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopjai
I think you should be able to beam down to cryptic studios on earth. It should be a destructable envirnment and anytime you get mad at the game you can go and burn cryptic to the ground, and use the flames to dry your tears. The Dev team will defend it. On elite difficulty setting they use dev weapons and abilities against you.
Good idea. But I'd prefer the academy.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
This game should have had Star Fleet Academy in at launch. That is where everyone should have started, even if it was just a tutorial, that's where is should have been.

It confuses me to a great degree as to why Cryptic decided to leave that out, it would have been the most logical place to start the game.

I guess that's what happens when you give a game studio not enough time to develop a game. They don't have enough time to understand what Star Trek is all about, or what makes Star Trek feel like Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 24 YA
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
TRUE INDEED

The game should have started with the academy. there you could learn all the aspects of star fleet and the fundamental operations of the game as per the movies and tv shows. The academy is where you decide what field you will go into once you graduate the academy. The academy would have had holo decks to show the various departments. you could learn about the war and from the choices you made in the academy, will direct you to starfleet or defect to the klingon empire. Tthe story line cryptic created could have been mixed in from their as some how you being put as the captain of a ship with the rank of Lt 1. It seems we as the customer are smart and inventive in making good scripts while the writers at cryptic are drunk.

It has been mentioned by myself along with others that cryptic studios did not do the needed reserch to formulate this game properly. It has also been said by the head developers that they will not go back and change things. They think its not right. Although if the paying fans feel its right then i dont see them having much of a choice. its either support what your fans "shareholders" are saying or go broke and be out of a job. Dont go the way of circuit city behavior. that is why they went bankrupt.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by montemj View Post
This game should have had Star Fleet Academy in at launch. That is where everyone should have started, even if it was just a tutorial, that's where is should have been.

It confuses me to a great degree as to why Cryptic decided to leave that out, it would have been the most logical place to start the game.

I guess that's what happens when you give a game studio not enough time to develop a game. They don't have enough time to understand what Star Trek is all about, or what makes Star Trek feel like Star Trek.
i can understand why we start where we start . its easier to have space and ground tutorials in the situation we start in than it would at starfleet . with our promotion to "captain " of our starter ship being during an emergency combat situation its completly plausable for us to be given that much responsiblity as an ensign . switch the start postion to the acadamy and you have several issues

1) how do you give the player a quick easy tutorial on space combat then ground combat . the easiest solution is holodeck training sure . but then you have the problem of " do we make them move from one holodeck simulation to another or run the entire tutorial as it is now in a holodeck and only let them realise its a holodeck simulation after tutorial mission is done

2) if its a nice sedate day of classes for a graduatiing ensign . what reason do we have to suddenly give that lowly ensign command of a light cruiser . his or her captain didnt really get taken by the borg that was just the simulation.

3) while its appealing to start our newbies off at the acadamy do we really want to begin things there . after all at the acadamy the most they can be is a newly graduated ensgin ... barely more than a cadet .not every starfleet officer is kirk yanno

im not sure that start position was a result of " not enough time . cryptic was forced to rush the release " after all the tutorial isnt badly done its more intuative than other MMO intro missions ( the eve tutorial is so damn annoying first time around i almost didnt play past it dispite having paid a sub ) while ill agree that some parts of the game lack depth and some aspects of the Trek canon were glaringly ommited and promised for a later date i dont think the tutorial is one of the aspects that was " rushed " or " botched "
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I have this wicked little fantasy the whole game so far is a simulation and when the boxed expansion comes out you will emerge as an Ensign at the academy to graduate
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
I have this wicked little fantasy the whole game so far is a simulation and when the boxed expansion comes out you will emerge as an Ensign at the academy to graduate
Starting Mission: Attend Ensign Ceremony. Get attacked by Klingons. Discover it's a simulation.

*Intro music*

Sorry, got carried away...
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darias
3) while its appealing to start our newbies off at the acadamy do we really want to begin things there . after all at the acadamy the most they can be is a newly graduated ensgin ... barely more than a cadet .not every starfleet officer is kirk yanno
Why not have you start toward your last day of exams where you have to run through some simulations where you do some ship stuff and some away mission stuff(and some diplomacy stuff. ). When you finish with those you are graduated and rushed off on with priority orders to where the game starts today. Took me 30 seconds to think of that and to me it sounds better.

As opposed to you starting off in a bar with no back story what-so-ever.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-18-2010, 07:01 PM
I wonder, does the rest of SOL mean that earth with also get a planet to beam down to, or just the rest of the planets in the system.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Being able to go to the academy on earth would be awesome!